News Forum - 4,000 Muslims protest against construction of Kuan Yin statue in southern Thailand

Thaiger

More than 4,000 Muslims gathered yesterday to protest against the construction of the largest Kuan Yin statue in the world on Khao Lon mountain in Songkhla province, southern Thailand. President of the Islamic Committee of Songkhla Province Sakkriya Bilsal alongside an imam from every mosque in the province were among those opposing the construction of the 200-metre-tall statue of a Chinese goddess on the mountain, which is surrounded by a Muslim community. Kuan Yin (also written Guanyin or Kuan Im) is the Chinese “Goddess of Mercy and Compassion”, a popular bodhisattva worshipped by Buddhists in China, Tibet, Japan, Korea, Thailand, […]

The story 4,000 Muslims protest against construction of Kuan Yin statue in southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

21 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Muslim bashers, what are you waiting for??

Ok DD I’ll play your game. This is a Buddhist country, it’s not their land and they’re perfectly entitled to build statues of whatever on their own land. 

• Like 6

.....and how many time do they have to be told to turn down the call to prayer. They always slowly increase it back to levels where it is totally distorted 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Giltee said:

Ok DD I’ll play your game. This is a Buddhist country, it’s not their land and they’re perfectly entitled to build statues of whatever on their own land. 

The country as a whole is Buddhist but is really an amalgamation of a load of kingdoms, those in the south being predominantly Islamic. A bit like putting a statue of Robert E Lee outside the whitehouse, back in the day! Just remembered, they virtually did that on Jan 6th!!!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Muslim bashers, what are you waiting for??

There's really not much need for anyone else to exert any special effort to make Muslims look bad. They're going to keep shooting people and blowing stuff up (probably including this statue). It's not as if their reputation comes from some slander campaign, it just comes from what they do. Sorry.

• Like 7
  • Angry 1

40 minutes ago, Giltee said:

Absolutely, just as the Muslims are perfectly entitled to protest about it. 

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

More than 4,000 Muslims gathered yesterday to protest against the construction of the largest Kuan Yin statue in the world on Khao Lon mountain in Songkhla province, southern Thailand. President of the Islamic Committee of Songkhla Province Sakkriya Bilsal alongside an imam from every mosque in the province were among those opposing the construction of the 200-metre-tall statue of a Chinese goddess on the mountain, which is surrounded by a Muslim community. Kuan Yin (also written Guanyin or Kuan Im) is the Chinese “Goddess of Mercy and Compassion”, a popular bodhisattva worshipped by Buddhists in China, Tibet, Japan, Korea, Thailand, […]

The story 4,000 Muslims protest against construction of Kuan Yin statue in southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Hello Hello Hello...I spot economical interest here:

TPI Polene Power Plc is a waste-to-energy power plant operator planning to build the statue and a controversial industrial estate in Chana district.

AND a CONTROVERSIAL industrial esteate in Chana district....

controversial ..mmmhhh...how...????

me thinks:

maybe pollute the sourrounding land and the drinking water ...a mega waste build...or a rubbish burning facility for whole of south east asia without filters.. and the thousands of lorrys daily moves through nearby villages without proper infrastructure...

i guess it will be the usual thai mix of noisy 24/7, maximum pollution  that affects the life of all those around ( but they only muslims so dont worry)

how to cover the thousands of brown envelopes to all kinds of burocrats and local politicians....???

solution: build a mega statue of  religious importance...create several charity associations who works closely w. temples where nobody dares to look and check ...

that the muslims dont have it is clear to me....

now bash them as hard as u can....

intolerant etc etc....

yes I love the goddess of mercy... and of course in muslim countrys is not any better...if u discuss a mosque there u can end up pretty soon pretty messed up....

but this here is a cover up and secondary a religious / cultural question

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, joseph said:

.....and how many time do they have to be told to turn down the call to prayer. They always slowly increase it back to levels where it is totally distorted 

Completely unrelated to the topic but thanks for sharing your opinions there. 

24 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

There's really not much need for anyone else to exert any special effort to make Muslims look bad. They're going to keep shooting people and blowing stuff up (probably including this statue). It's not as if their reputation comes from some slander campaign, it just comes from what they do. Sorry.

The topic is about a peaceful protest about a statue. 

3 minutes ago, dingdong said:

Hello Hello Hello...I spot economical interest here:

TPI Polene Power Plc is a waste-to-energy power plant operator planning to build the statue and a controversial industrial estate in Chana district.

AND a CONTROVERSIAL industrial esteate in Chana district....

controversial ..mmmhhh...how...????

me thinks:

maybe pollute the sourrounding land and the drinking water ...a mega waste build...or a rubbish burning facility for whole of south east asia without filters.. and the thousands of lorrys daily moves through nearby villages without proper infrastructure...

i guess it will be the usual thai mix of noisy 24/7, maximum pollution  that affects the life of all those around ( but they only muslims so dont worry)

how to cover the thousands of brown envelopes to all kinds of burocrats and local politicians....???

solution: build a mega statue of  religious importance...create several charity associations who works closely w. temples where nobody dares to look and check ...

that the muslims dont have it is clear to me....

now bash them as hard as u can....

intolerant etc etc....

yes I love the goddess of mercy... and of course in muslim countrys is not any better...if u discuss a mosque there u can end up pretty soon pretty messed up....

but this here is a cover up and secondary a religious / cultural question

No no no. Your got it completely wrong there. 

One can always rely on massive corporate operations and businesses in Thailand to have the best interests of the local population close to their hearts. 

Because for sure, all the local people want this massive industrial estate on their doorstep, and what better way to remind them of how lucky they are than a giant statue they can prostrate themselves towards every day.

Well they put their darn mosques everywhere in non muslim domninated areas and don't care what anyone thinks. CM has 3 and just up the highway going up to Chiang Rai I just saw has a brand new one on a small hill just to the left. And if they normally do what most all mosques do is blare their loud speakers subjecting people to their ritual, then this is not trying to live amongst other keeping their feelings in concideration. Seems to me that these muslims like to complain too much. Not their property and they plainly need to shut up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well they put their darn mosques everywhere in non muslim domninated areas and don't care what anyone thinks. CM has 3 and just up the highway going up to Chiang Rai I just saw has a brand new one on a small hill just to the left. And if they normally do what most all mosques do is blare their loud speakers subjecting people to their ritual, then this is not trying to live amongst other keeping their feelings in concideration. Seems to me that these muslims like to complain too much. Not their property and they plainly need to shut up.

3 mosque in the whole of Chiang MaiStan, clearly they're taking over!!

18 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

The topic is about a peaceful protest about a statue. 

Sure, I think Muslims can be peaceful for a little while as long as everyone else is immediately obeying their demands.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

Sure, I think Muslims can be peaceful for a little while as long as everyone else is immediately obeying their demands.

Okay Bri, thanks for sharing your opinions there. 

Nice to see The Thaiger attracts the best of the West

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian60221 said:

24% of the entire population of the world is muslim and your comment refers to a tiny minority of extremists, the ones we hear in the news. And that is enough for a lot of people like you to classify their entire comminity of 1.8 billion people. It is like saying that all catholic priests are pedophils. "it just comes from what they do" for people who are ignorant and prejudiced (to stay polite).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Nice to see The Thaiger attracts the best of the West

I mean, I don't blame you for abandoning the debate and switching to personal attacks. I wouldn't want to be in the position of trying to defend thousands of suicide bombings and all that. Like, let's just consider a Thaiger search for "insurgents", which is of course just a euphemism for Muslims: https://thethaiger.com/?s=insurgents

How many pages do you need to scroll through before you start to think I might have a tiny bit of a point?

That's just the Thaiger. Anyone who searches could find a basically infinite number of newspaper clippings from 50+ years ago about attacks and suicide bombings by Muslims. Sorry! I just know some facts about the world that aren't very nice.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Manu said:

your comment refers to a tiny minority of extremists

Sure, I agree with that. It's just that we really can't tell which people are which. The end result is just that if there are Muslims around, there are going to be gun attacks and explosions done for religious reasons. That's the practical reality.

• Like 4

*Do not take this as an opportunity to 'bash' Muslims or their culture.*

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

Sure, I agree with that. It's just that we really can't tell which people are which. The end result is just that if there are Muslims around, there are going to be gun attacks and explosions done for religious reasons. That's the practical reality.

"which people are which"? The first "which" are the handful of nutcases (awful humans rather than just muslims) that you hear in the news that help many to make up their mind about an antire community. The other "which" are just the rest of the normal 1.8 billion human beings that have Islam as a religion around the world.

And I am sure the muslim minorities in China and Burma for example would find this comment now the "practical reality".

"if there are Muslims around, there are going to be gun attacks and explosions"

If there are humans around, there are always going to be wars and misery. It has always been like that, it will always be like that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian60221 said:

So like the muslim minorities in China and Burma, right?

1 minute ago, Manu said:

So like the muslim minorities in China and Burma, right?

I'm really not sure what point you think you're making. The Uighurs in Xinjiang did a bunch of knife attacks, but they somewhat had an excuse, since they were under occupation by the Chinese. There are no more knife attacks now that Xinjiang is a police state. If it makes any difference, I'm on the Uighurs' side on that one.

I don't know about the situation in Burma, except to say that Burma is home to the one and only Buddhist sect in the world that advocates violence. So, that seems to make a pretty clear distinction between Buddhism and Islam.

But I thought of a way for us to save effort on this topic: let's just wait for them to build the statue, and for it to be blown up. There will be another article, and we can talk again then.

• Like 1

“You may have the right to build anything on your land, but we want you to think over the plan… how to co-exist with a Muslim community.”

Does that sound like a threat to anyone?

• Like 2

How anybody could deem it a good idea to erect a gigantic Kuan Yin monument in the middle of a pre dominantly Muslim area, is a mystery to me.

It is hardly comparable to building a mosque for worship in CM, is it.

• Haha 1