News Forum - Thailand launches new 10-year visa to attract foreign experts

Thaiger

Thailand next month is launching a new 10-year visa to attract foreign experts to the country to boost industry and commerce. The Thai Board of Investment Deputy secretary-general Narit Therdsteerasukdi revealed the kingdom is looking to invite about one million skilled workers to develop and advance the nation’s economy, particularly in the electric vehicle, electronics, medicine, and defense industry. Narit reported that the long-term resident visa is aimed at “foreign human resources with high potential and skills,” adding they will accept applications from September 1. The government made it known that people with assets of more than US$1 million can […]

The story Thailand launches new 10-year visa to attract foreign experts as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"This is Thailand’s third visa targeting highly skilled professionals or investors"

And will not be the last, another one for the garbage bin... not attractive, completely useless. For people that probably never have been in Thailand and for people that live here for a decade there is like always nothing at all.. thank you Thailand keep on dreaming many other countries out there that is what you forget with your trillion dream

Edited by ronnie666
  • Like 2

10 years, a guaranteed tax rate, digital work permit.... they are getting warmer.  now eliminated the 90 day check in, re-entry stamp and it would be worth considering.

• Like 3

It all looks a bit vague.

The kingdom will invite 1 million skilled workers? But the high potential foreigners can apply from sept first? Which of the two is it? Being invited means you do not have to apply by yourself I think.

Also  people with 1m US$ in assets can apply? 1m US$ in Thailand? Or in a western bank?

A stable pension. Good. How high?

Best wait for the fine print. Getting 1m foreigners will be a challenge with thes rules.

• Like 1

Most of the miserables commenting on this thread won't even attempt or don't qualify for the visa

Or don't realize how many Asian companies have executives and skilled workers working in Thailand

But they get to whine about a visa they won't ever try and get......so there is that!

• Like 3

One of the  obstacles to a successful uptake of the visa will be the obligation to do 90 day reporting. If there was a guaranteed online format , it would facilitate matters. ideally if the 90 days could be eliminated, it would be even better.

Not everyone on this visa will pay 17% tax, it's only if you work for a Thai company.. let's see what the small prints look like when it comes out...

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Most of the miserables commenting on this thread won't even attempt or don't qualify for the visa

Or don't realize how many Asian companies have executives and skilled workers working in Thailand

But they get to whine about a visa they won't ever try and get......so there is that!

Quite so. I wont even think of trying before I know the exact qualifications. 

I am highly skilled but I dont like to work. When I do work (which is not very often) I generate a very nice income. But not 80k US$ a year as was proposed in one of the previous Thai visa-failures. 

I have plenty of money but not 1m US$. I do have a very small pension now but will only get my official one in another 15 years. Or even later.

So if the government isnt interested in attracting retirees like me let them just say so. And not think up all kind of weird schemes every few months.

• Like 3

If Thailand is trying to attract high caliber individuals to help grow its economy, why on earth would those kind of individuals pay for that "privilege", unless they are light in the head? 

If someone wants my skills, expertise and experience, then they'll pay for it. I would not pay to be allowed to help them, and pay 17% on my earnings for the "privilege "!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

If Thailand is trying to attract high caliber individuals to help grow its economy, why on earth would those kind of individuals pay for that "privilege", unless they are light in the head? 

If someone wants my skills, expertise and experience, then they'll pay for it. I would not pay to be allowed to help them, and pay 17% on my earnings for the "privilege "!

You guys really can't comprehend what is actually written in the article you comment on?

This visa is to make it easier for companies to attract skilled employees 

And yes, qualified retirees as well

And hate to break to you

Most countries make you pay income tax 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Janneman said:

It all looks a bit vague.

The kingdom will invite 1 million skilled workers? But the high potential foreigners can apply from sept first? Which of the two is it? Being invited means you do not have to apply by yourself I think.

Also  people with 1m US$ in assets can apply? 1m US$ in Thailand? Or in a western bank?

A stable pension. Good. How high?

Best wait for the fine print. Getting 1m foreigners will be a challenge with thes rules.

They spamming people

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Well it is a useless visa second getting people in to work... takes a way the job for a Thai  as I read yesterday ir the day before many are jobless at the moment, so this a good idea? No like all previous  ridiculous visas to attract WEALTHY foreigners it stinks, if the government for once stop thinking about BIG LOTTERY money and make a normal attractive visa for all they will get response and money in, all little bits and up to a very large amounts.. all the time they make a fool of themselves by showing the greediness and selfish behavior of a bad run government 

Next one to shoot themselves in the feet please and make themselves look like idiots... they the once that give thailand a bad name

Edited by ronnie666
  • Like 1

As is often the case, the details are lost in translation because they really don’t know what they’re doing anyway. Last time I went to renew my Non-O based on retirement, the IO lost face when she thought I was renewing based on monthly income even though I had clearly documented I had over one million baht in the bank for the required period of time. For several a years actually. So a ‘new requirement’ popped up, to save face I guess, but I had had enough. I said screw it. I’m tired of stupid Thai games. I would qualify for this new ‘wealthy pensioner plan’, but why? Is it really necessary for me to report every 90 days, online or in person since the online is often broken? No, it is not. 

Thailand will find a way to screw this up because that’s what they do best. They find a way to implement policies directly in opposition to the policies they’re trying to implement.

Vietnam looks better and better every passing day. 

• Like 2

Details are still very vague and the 4th type for remote working professionals seems to not be mentioned. Still waiting for more details 

2 hours ago, ronnie666 said:

Well it is a useless visa second getting people in to work... takes a way the job for a Thai  as I read yesterday ir the day before many are jobless at the moment, so this a good idea? No like all previous  ridiculous visas to attract WEALTHY foreigners it stinks, if the government for once stop thinking about BIG LOTTERY money and make a normal attractive visa for all they will get response and money in, all little bits and up to a very large amounts.. all the time they make a fool of themselves by showing the greediness and selfish behavior of a bad run government 

Next one to shoot themselves in the feet please and make themselves look like idiots... they the once that give thailand a bad name

You've obviously never run a business that attracts skilled people 

33 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You've obviously never run a business that attracts skilled people 

Just to let you know I got 6 skilled people in my business for the last 20 years.. I recommend not to judge people if you do not know anything about them.. makes you look like a fool...

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:34 PM, Marc26 said:

And yet the backbone helping to hold the Thai economy to some standard of living is low income expats... why not accept the fact and be thankful for that by encouraging more of them to come here... they actually spend more and contribute more to the communities in Thailand than do the "nomads" and the rich investors... and certainly much more than the rich tourists... just smaller amounts but over a much longer basis.

• Like 2

Having just retired to Thailand after travelling here with my Thai wife for 18 years and having had a skilled job in the uk, It would be very unlikely unless you work for a Thai company or have ties with thailand that you would work or relocate to Thailand.Yes they could and should do more to attract the retiered  marriage visa holder.For example I have spent a lot of money visiting Thailand  over 18 years and building a house and retiring here.

21 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Expect very limited uptake on this. A million people?? 😂😂😂

More creative number crunching....

If I had a 1 million dollars and a successful company, Thailand would not be top of my list, even the million on its own wouldn't do it for me. I'm gonna need a million soon with the cost of living going up the way it is here!

• Like 2

On 8/5/2022 at 5:03 AM, ronnie666 said:

Just to let you know I got 6 skilled people in my business for the last 20 years.. I recommend not to judge people if you do not know anything about them.. makes you look like a fool...

That is what he does post after post after post... Oh, and moaning about people moaning too.. Eventually you just ignore him...

• Thanks 1

The Thai Board of Investment Deputy secretary-general Narit Therdsteerasukdi revealed the kingdom is looking to invite about one million skilled workers to develop and advance the nation’s economy, particularly in the electric vehicle, electronics, medicine, and defense industry.

How about teaching and training 1 million young Thai people? Wouldn't it be good for the Thai's economy?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Manu said:

How about teaching and training 1 million young Thai people? Wouldn't it be good for the Thai's economy?

Too much nepotism.

• Like 1