Travelling to Phuket for the Sandbox starting tomorrow, July 1

Thaiger

Now officially announced in the Royal Gazette, a whopping full day before the start of Thailand’s reopening plans, here is the list of who will be able to travel to Thailand. You will need to be fully vaccinated, that’s the key point, and rather than quarantining in a hotel room for 14 days, your ‘quarantine’ is now the huge tropical island of Phuket where the early adopters will be able to fully navigate after their arrival PCR test returns a negative result. The other two hiccups that emerged yesterday were that Embassies require receipts of pre-payment for the 3 PCR […]

The post Travelling to Phuket for the Sandbox starting tomorrow, July 1 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thai government talking to general public

image.png.0ff0df73215fa753d84d0964bdc30db2.pngList of characters

woman is TAT governor 

Alice is Tourist minister

Dilbert gen public

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here we go ...........   I wonder if we will be seeing Tim walking backwards in the nude??  For those unaware, Tim Newton on Thaiger News has stated that if 1500 tourists arrive on 1st July he will walk backwards nude down the street. I sure hope not.

I did post this on the jokes forum, but I reckon it is worth it again:

image.thumb.png.93e94cc276722175547c24e63953ec1a.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

The Phuket Sadbox will be a huge failure, everyones knows but its all about Thai’s not losing face. Not sure if travelers will return until 2022…

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, MHW said:

The Phuket Sadbox will be a huge failure, everyones knows but its all about Thai’s not losing face. Not sure if travelers will return until 2022…

Yes, an understandably pretty dim view of things as they stand . . . or fall!

Hello, MHW and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

1 hour ago, MHW said:

I hear you and that is true, but if they do learn the lessons, and keep covid from spreading rampant on the island, like in Bangkok, then they will eventually get it right I hope.  The plan is to also open Samui and maybe a few other islands, using the Phuket 'sandbox model'.  That can succeed in the long run because they have the chance to isolate the islands - no guarantee but they might just do it.  But places like Pattaya and Chiang Mai also demanding to join the Phuket sandbox model are ridiculous - they cannot control people into and out of those Provinces.  If Phuket and Samui succeeds then the Thai Govt plans to open those places fully in October - then tourists will come back to those locations - not as many as in past of course, but quite a few I reckon.  The rest of the country will want that too of course - those involved in tourism business I mean - but I cannot see that happening in Provinces that cannot isolate themselves - until covid cases drop to where it was before Songkran. 

My COE stalled in pre-approved at the at the embassy. 

New requirements just released today.. That's it.

I give up. I'm out.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, 2Lotus2 said:

My COE stalled in pre-approved at the at the embassy. 

New requirements just released today.. That's it.

I give up. I'm out.

They couldn't approve the COE for the Sandbox until it was approved.

The approval was only printed in the Royal Gazette Monday making it official. Embassies have since been scrambling to get the information on their website. Appears you applied before it was approved.

• Like 1

And that Guy's is the back up plan from the Governor of Pookertraz. Don't blame me the Embassy's failed to deliver COE'S in time. Has any members coming in received a COE to enter ?

For 2 weeks now I have been trying to get the COE. Insurance coverage of 2 mio USD including covid 19 hasn't helped me - needed to contract additional insurance on a thai website. My visa and re-entry stamp were declared invalid by the embassy although they are not. So now I must enter on visa exempt, hoping that my real visa will not be cancelled on arrival. And now I must book the hotel through the SHA website? That's actually not possible, it's just a huge list with hotels and contact data. And why can't we fly over Suvarnaphumi and transit directly?

I haven't given up yet because I have a family waiting for me. But I can't see a regular tourist going through this hassle and extra costs just to come to Thailand. That's ridiculous. We will see empty flights tomorrow.

Bali announced a 5 year visa for nomads? I guess my family will have to learn english after all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I hear you and that is true, but if they do learn the lessons, and keep covid from spreading rampant on the island, like in Bangkok, then they will eventually get it right I hope.  The plan is to also open Samui and maybe a few other islands, using the Phuket 'sandbox model'.  That can succeed in the long run because they have the chance to isolate the islands - no guarantee but they might just do it.  But places like Pattaya and Chiang Mai also demanding to join the Phuket sandbox model are ridiculous - they cannot control people into and out of those Provinces.  If Phuket and Samui succeeds then the Thai Govt plans to open those places fully in October - then tourists will come back to those locations - not as many as in past of course, but quite a few I reckon.  The rest of the country will want that too of course - those involved in tourism business I mean - but I cannot see that happening in Provinces that cannot isolate themselves - until covid cases drop to where it was before Songkran. 

What makes you think they will learn? They are adding more and more obstacles day by day. Now I cant use Agoda, I must use the sha website for a hotel booking? Thats not even possible. Its not a booking site. No tourist will go through this. I would have given up if i hadnt a family waiting for me.

• Like 2

Absolutely dreadful SHA+ (more like SHA-) website for booking accommodation. No prices, no filters, no affiliate links to accommodation (how are we supposed to prove we went through the site to book it?), and some listings don't even have a website.

Absolute fking balls up. I'll not be booking my return any time soon.

• Cool 2

8 minutes ago, Florian said:

What makes you think they will learn? They are adding more and more obstacles day by day. Now I cant use Agoda, I must use the sha website for a hotel booking? Thats not even possible. Its not a booking site. No tourist will go through this. I would have given up if i hadnt a family waiting for me.

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time with the formalities . . . let's hope other posters can steer you in the right direction.

Hello, Florian and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

1 hour ago, Faz said:

They couldn't approve the COE for the Sandbox until it was approved.

The approval was only printed in the Royal Gazette Monday making it official. Embassies have since been scrambling to get the information on their website. Appears you applied before it was approved.

I reapplied as soon as I saw that it had a tic box for the Phuket sandbox. Entered the first page successfully, and it was quickly put into pre-approved status. And that's where it has stayed since Monday morning. Haven't had a chance to even get to the second page. Boo Hoo!

It's difficult to see how this is going to work. It's a laughing stock of never ending rules and orders and strict enforcement. There seems little indication that Thai authorities will ease up on the rules, in fact the opposite seems more likely. 

Not everyone for instance is surgically attached to their phone 24/7.  But should you decide to leave your phone switched off and in your room while you laze on the beach for a few hours (an innocent, simple holiday pleasure) , no doubt you'll have someone calling the police to arrest you for violation as you've disappeared off their tracking radar. Who will put up with that?

And they expect hundreds of thousands to come over the next few months! 

• Like 1

Thai Rath, news reports Chinese Tourists will be arriving in Phuket in 2-3 Monthe's according to a deputy at the TAT department Wichit Prakopkosol. Strange as the Chinese press have reported due to there Quarantine regulations no flights have been booked or Tourist Company's have not taken any bookings, also a TV posted three flights from Mumbai, Delhi and Bengaluru Scheduled to arrive in Phuket tomorrow are in fact false as no flight are on there arrival list. So i thought distributing false information was against the law in Thailand yet these 2 cases are clearly Fabricated information. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2Lotus2 said:

I reapplied as soon as I saw that it had a tic box for the Phuket sandbox. Entered the first page successfully, and it was quickly put into pre-approved status. And that's where it has stayed since Monday morning. Haven't had a chance to even get to the second page. Boo Hoo!

Are you wishing to visit as a tourist or returning expat?  If the latter, simply do ASQ in BKK. 14 days in a hotel room, all meals and tests included, is straight forward if you can handle the isolation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can book SHA plus hotels on the website ASQ.in.th

Click on sandbox hotels and you will find 313 hotels listed.

I have pre reserved one, to be confirmed when I get my COE application pre-approved.

Applied on Monday, made a couple of minor editing changes, and have been given a reference number to check the status of my application. At the moment all I am getting is "waiting for approval"

The hotel has told me I will have to pay in advance, including the cost of 3 PCR tests, 8000baht.

They have assured me they will provide me with the SHA certificate and QR code required to complete the COE application procedure.

I read a lot about how well prepared everybody is in Phuket, and how much they are looking forward to welcoming their visitors.

However if the embassies don't get their fingers out and start issuing COE's, there won't be any!

• Like 1

Airplane EY430 - 37 passengers 
Airplane QR840 - 116 passengers 
Airplane LY87 - 101 passengers 
Airplane SQ736 - 46 passengers 
Airplane EY431 - ???

i can assume if EY430 is empty, EY431 would be cancelled

• Like 2

I've  said it before,  and I'll say it again.

This is a start, not a great start or a good start, but it is a start.

That said, it's a window of opportunity for those who live here etc to return.

As for tourists, it's a non starter. It's too complicated, buerucratic and risky.

The whole country is on its own DDC red list! The problem is not tourists, the problem is the unvaccinated Thai's, or even those who have had the Chinese  Sinovac (The main vaccine the Thais have used thus far).

It will not be long before they reach their own 90 cases a week, and close the place down. Most of the workforce, don't live in Phuket, they live elsewhere in the country and will need to travel to Phuket for work.

Then, there is nothing open. So where are all these unvaccinated or poorly vaccinated Thai's going to work and live?

They're giving food parcels out in Phuket at the moment.

Until the vaccine is rolled out with a quality product, and all these restrictions are removed, it is as desirable as a chocolate fire guard and a non starter!

Edited by King Cotton
Changed from bold text to normal. Like CAPS, a post all in bold is like shouting.
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Airplane EY430 - 37 passengers 
Airplane QR840 - 116 passengers 
Airplane LY87 - 101 passengers 
Airplane SQ736 - 46 passengers 
Airplane EY431 - ???

i can assume if EY430 is empty, EY431 would be cancelled

Interesting. Where did you get these numbers from?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

The whole country is on its own DDC red list! The problem is not tourists, the problem is the unvaccinated Thai's, or even those who have had the Chinese  Sinovac (The main vaccine the Thais have used thus far).

Why? Whats the problem with Sinovac, professor?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Rich Barrow post on Twitter, i trust his info

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah-ha, watch this space. Depends on AlexPTY's mood today . . . right, Alex?

Hello, Jay and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton