American expats in Thailand continue to urge US to provide vaccines to citizens overseas

Thaiger

Some Americans in Thailand are still pushing the US government to supply Covid-19 vaccines to those living overseas. Democrats Abroad Thailand is now calling on American expats to contact senators and urge them to support the allocation of vaccines to citizens overseas. The expat group’s Covid-19 Vaccine Task Force is also set to hold a Zoom meeting tomorrow evening to discuss the call to action. Last week, the Embassy of the US in Thailand Charge d’Affaires released a statement saying the US Department of State is “unable” to provide vaccines for the millions of Americans who reside outside of the […]

The post American expats in Thailand continue to urge US to provide vaccines to citizens overseas appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The French ambassador to Thailand was able to get finally a special authorization to bring Johnson and Johnson vaccines in Thailand to support French citizens in need. The vaccine will be administered for free to French Citizens and the vaccination campaign started  June 23rd till end of July. 

How is it that a foreign country, dependent on the US is able to provide American vaccines to its citizens while our country isn’t able to do anything?

Does not sounds too rational! 

• Like 3

I think the logistics of supplying and administering such a small amount of vaccines to each of dozens and dozens of overseas countries is the deterrent.  Between shipping, record keeping, tracking, administering, etc. the time it would take to do this in every country that has Americans living in it would be daunting.  If that happened then most countries would be expected to do the same so you might have 10-15 or more agencies administering and tracking vaccines in each country.  It is far more practical that each country coordinates and vaccinates its own residents.    Unfortunately a number of countries are having difficulties for various reasons whether it be from delayed ordering of vaccines, approval of vaccines, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

How is it that a foreign country, dependent on the US is able to provide American vaccines to its citizens while our country isn’t able to do anything?

This is not about "not being able". The problem is that US citizens living abroad just aren't important enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeTexas said:

I think the logistics of supplying and administering such a small amount of vaccines to each of dozens and dozens of overseas countries is the deterrent.

China and France can do it.   Probably they saw that in Thailand we cannot expect much from the government.

And they don't have to organize that in all countries either. There are plenty of countries where everyone just gets vaccinations. It is about providing vaccinations to compatriots living in countries that cannot do it themselves. Like Thailand.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dimitri said:

There are plenty of countries where everyone just gets vaccinations. It is about providing vaccinations to compatriots living in countries that cannot do it themselves. 

You mean just like Thailand. The problem isn't getting a vaccination, it's getting it timely. Americans in Thailand will get vaccinated at some point, just like all Thais will. Regardless of what some think, or pretend, Thailand isn't some third world backwater country with a non-functioning healthcare system. People actually come to Thailand for it's healthcare. The fact Thailand has such a low death rate proves that out. Thailand's problem is they didn't order the vaccines early enough or in large enough quantity. That's a whole different rabbit hole.  I get American's wanting their vaccine now, we are not the most patient of people, and I do agree the US should have embassies provide them. It's not that hard, just ship over the J&J vaccine like the French are doing. America is loaded with the stuff so much the government canceled a follow up order to allow the existing supply to be used up. Why they won't do it is a mystery to me, but it is what it is. And to be fair, it's not like most of the countries in the world are doing it, the list is all of two or three?  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

You mean just like Thailand.

No, I mean countries that can organize vaccinations in the right way. There are many countries in the world where most people are already vaccinated. Also immigrants, people with foreign passports etc. The US does not have to help their countrymen in these countries.

>>Thailand isn't some third world backwater country with a non-functioning healthcare system

>>Thailand's problem is they didn't order the vaccines early enough

You are contradicting yourself.

• Like 1

"US FDA-approved Covid-19 vaccines" does not exist. They are experimental and emergency approved. Pay the 3,400 baht at your local hospital if you are so worried. 

12 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Also immigrants, people with foreign passports etc. The US does not have to help their countrymen in these countries.

>>Thailand isn't some third world backwater country with a non-functioning healthcare system

Yes and the US was one of them. In the US, everyone regardless of nationality (or even legal status), was put in the same queue. There are a lot of places in this world where its a question of "if you will get vaccinated", not "when". And while yes Thailand is slow, it's not that slow in comparison to many of it's neighbors. The Thais have started to vaccinate foreigners. Keeping in mind the French just sent the vaccines this week, and the Chinese a few weeks before that. While it is expensive, American's could easily have flown home, or even to Hawaii or Guam and got vaccinated 3-4 months ago. Spent a few weeks with family and come back to Thailand.    

Ordering of vaccines wasn't under the control of health care system, like most countries it was done by the national government. Outside of a few exceptions, most national governments screwed the pooch on the issue. Some worse than other, but still most of them. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dimitri said:

No, I mean countries that can organize vaccinations in the right way. There are many countries in the world where most people are already vaccinated. Also immigrants, people with foreign passports etc. The US does not have to help their countrymen in these countries.

34 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Your wrong. The US should be obligated to help these expats because if you pay taxes to a county that you don't even live in  what's the taxes for? 

I'm sure if those still paying stopped until they got a vaccine the US would not be happy and work out and Agreement 

• Like 2

It's only logical that America citizen expats should receive vaccines available to American citizens in the US. American citizen expats are beholden to ALL American laws including those relating to income and taxes. American embassies should provide what citizens in the USA receive since expats are beholden to ALL the laws. This should include Medicare benefits and the same income thresholds relating to working while receiving social security benefits too.

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading this article and also Caitin’s recent appearance on the Thaiger’s “Good Morning Thailand” program.  I have a cousin, Kim Barker, who is a journalist for the New York Times.  Anyway, I’ve been following Caitlin’s career with interest from the Windy City.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jyn said:

Your wrong. The US should be obligated to help these expats because if you pay taxes to a county that you don't even live in  what's the taxes for? 

I'm sure if those still paying stopped until they got a vaccine the US would not be happy and work out and Agreement 

That's not the US's DNA. If you, as an expat, decide you'd rather live someplace else, that's fine. But, at the same time, don't expect the government to take care of you. You chose your lifestyle so quit whining (I believe that's in the Constitution...). The US government - except for a few flights from Wuhan and one of the plague cruise ships - didn't even repatriate any citizens living abroad.

The other thing you have to realize is that we Americans are basically a bunch of whiners and the "rugged individualist" facade crumbles quite quickly. They're whining about not having vaccines provided to them wherever they are in the world. But, if a shipment arrived at the embassy in Bangkok, they'd be whining about it not being available at the consulate in Chiang Mai. If they sent it there they'd whine about not having it in the provinces until they got it to the smallest village in B.F. Nakhon UpCountry. Then they'd whine about not having home delivery. We're just like that.

• Angry 1

It would be nice to see Americans taken care of first instead of other countries. Especially since some of these other countries hate America. The expats taxes were used to buy the doses and  giving away 500 million doses to other countries, I think we could spare some for Americans, no matter where they are located. Embassy staff around the world still have not gotten any doses either what a joke this American administration is.

• Like 1

All you green-bean American expats, when will you ever learn. The American Embassy will do nothing for expat Americans. Indeed, many American politicians consider expats non-citizens. Try using your Medicare overseas. You know, that insurance you've been paying into for your entire life. If you want assistance overseas, go to the Russian embassy.

Wisdom from the cornicles of a lifelong expat government contractor.

• Like 2

Mother in - law just apply for vaccine.  She is a Thai national.  Her appointment is in October.

The all mighty speaks here.  live and learn about the Thai government , it took me 18 years,

• Like 2

Biden said about covid-19, "We are all in this together, all over the world." That is a bald-faced lie. China vaxed their citizens. Can't Biden do it? Please help Americans overseas -- 9 million. We are being taxed but not vaxed. China, France, Belgium, Switzerland and other countries have met with governments to get their citizens vaxed. Americans abroad are getting anti-Biden because of this.

Only 10 states have more than 9 million Americans.

The American State Department said, "We are unable to help Americans abroad." Unable? Why?

Many Americans have children and live overseas. Doesn't Biden care about them?

Thank you.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, yerrot said:

China vaxed their citizens.

Not quite. From CNBC: "But Zhong Nanshan, one of China’s top health experts attached to the NHC, said in March that the country is aiming to have 40% of the population fully vaccinated by the end of June." It's true that they have administered more doses than any other country at +/-1billion, but even if *all* those doses were to fully vaccinate individuals that would be about 35% of the population. That, and their vaccines don't work very well.

9 hours ago, Jyn said:

Yes, a good angle, there, if only there was someone listening!

Hello, Jyn and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

6 hours ago, Scott said:

I enjoyed reading this article and also Caitin’s recent appearance on the Thaiger’s “Good Morning Thailand” program.  I have a cousin, Kim Barker, who is a journalist for the New York Times.  Anyway, I’ve been following Caitlin’s career with interest from the Windy City.  

Well connected by the sound of things!

Hello Scott and welcome to Thaiger Talk . . . I was wondering when we'd hear from you!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton