News Forum - Thai pop star flees to UK after fearing for her safety in Thailand

Thaiger

19 hours ago, PATRIQUE said:

Freedom of speech is a principle that supports the freedom of politicians become even bigger freaks

Please explain further...

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

Rude how ? I can only see a woman who knows the chances of a female sticking up for themselves and not being persecuted/family hassled whilst correctly highlighting utter nepotism and horribly outdated privilege based on the chances of birth are next to zero. 

I'm from the UK, our 'royal' family is the very definition of grotesque!

She was labeled a rude woman in the post I replied to. I offered an alternate description…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

High sales and popularity say otherwise. She left Thailand because a few people that didn't like what she had to say made threats against her and made her feel unsafe the vast majority that know about her thought she is great and a great entertainer and support what she says. 

That are the people that are brainwashed and have low iq to begin with...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Scarface said:

She's certainly better of there than in this sweatbox with nothing to do except get p!ssed.

You might not realize it, but you're actually just talking about yourself, not Thailand.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:49 AM, Tim_Melb said:

Unlike the average Thai girl she has money and is an entertainer, she would have plenty of options. Unlike the average Thai on the street that has virtually no chance of getting a visa. Something that she has apparently criticised the UK government for and rightly so. Quite frankly the visa policies of the UK, USA and Australia in particular are disgusting when it comes to South East Asian people. Of course they are very vocal in denying they are racist but anyone with personal experience with the system knows it is very much racist. 

How are the visa polices "disgusting"?

Millions have moved to these countries, received the same benefits as people born there, been given a path to citizenship

These countries you mention make it a hell of a lot easier to be landed immigrants(actually have immigration status) than most SEA Asian countries 

How is it racist? 

6 hours ago, Scarface said:

She's certainly better of there than in this sweatbox with nothing to do except get p!ssed.

Nothing better to do than get pissed? All sorts of National Parks all over the country, all sorts of museums and galleries in Bangkok, amazing restaurants with food from all around the world..........

I guess we can gather what you do with your time

Some posts on this forum are just so ignorantly absurd......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2022 at 2:14 AM, Manu said:

Are you proud of the freedom of speech in the UK? Sure you are. So you deny her that freedom of speech then? I think you are mixing up "disrespecting" with "criticising". And sure the UK governement is totally respectful, starting with the Great Boris, who only British people are allowed to criticise according to you. Also you are in the wrong place here, a forum where most people, expats and people who do not even live in Thailand, are constantly bashing not only the Thai government but Thai people altogether. She now lives in the Uk so she has the right like everyone else living in that country to criticise whoever and whatever she wants, it is called freedom of speech, end of.

Thank you. I think he needed that bit of perspective. I find the whole "if you are critical of our country, you should go home" mantra to be quite tired, and very adolescent, in its nature. 

We complain about issues here. Does that mean we should all go home? Please. 

49 minutes ago, dmacarelli said:

We complain about issues here. Does that mean we should all go home? Please. 

well...............

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

How are the visa polices "disgusting"?

Millions have moved to these countries, received the same benefits as people born there, been given a path to citizenship

These countries you mention make it a hell of a lot easier to be landed immigrants(actually have immigration status) than most SEA Asian countries 

How is it racist? 

Anybody that has had experience with the system knows how racist it is if a small business owner from a Western nation for instance applies for a visa to come to one of these countries it is approved as a formality, if however a small business owner from a SEA country does the same they will have to provide a massive amount of financial information and assets to get approval and even then there is no guarantee. This is only one example there is also the issue of high visa fees that are just unaffordable for people from a lot of SEA nations and the number of non-reciprocal visa waiver programs where SEA nations provide visa free or visa on arrival for Western countries but there is no reciprocal arrangement and getting a simple tourist visa often requires vast amounts of financial information and proof of employment in a high paid job before a tourist visa will be granted. It is extremely racist but it is done in ways that the countries involved can deny it and say the same rules apply for all when they clearly don't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Anybody that has had experience with the system knows how racist it is if a small business owner from a Western nation for instance applies for a visa to come to one of these countries it is approved as a formality, if however a small business owner from a SEA country does the same they will have to provide a massive amount of financial information and assets to get approval and even then there is no guarantee. This is only one example there is also the issue of high visa fees that are just unaffordable for people from a lot of SEA nations and the number of non-reciprocal visa waiver programs where SEA nations provide visa free or visa on arrival for Western countries but there is no reciprocal arrangement and getting a simple tourist visa often requires vast amounts of financial information and proof of employment in a high paid job before a tourist visa will be granted. It is extremely racist but it is done in ways that the countries involved can deny it and say the same rules apply for all when they clearly don't. 

It's not racist

If you want to label any criticism, it is geared, as you exemplified, towards financial bias

But guess what, most countries put financial parameters on their visas

I'm white, I've been asked how much money I have to fund my trip when landing in countries 

And if countries are to keep their legal immigration in check, they have to apply financial barriers, regardless if we think that is fair

To say countries like the US and Australia are racist when they have allowed millions upon millions of immigrants of all different backgrounds is just not grounded in reality 

And again, those countries that you labeled racist allow a much easier path to full immigration status than most SEA do, if you want to take reciprocal agreements

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:03 PM, Benroon said:

Beyond ludicrous - I can't believe you weren't embarrassed writing that ?

Are you aware of the UK immigrant tests ? Here's a clue you would fail it. As for sticking up for the UK police, lol, they've never been under a darker cloud.  <Edited - removed inferred facts without a URL.>
Moderator.

You weren't embarrassed you couldn't come up with: one instance of "foreigner price" in the UK; one instance of 90-day reporting in the UK; and one instance where police asked the parties involved in a dispute/accident to "negotiate"? These were my specific points. But you felt the need to reply with offensive language in lieu of .....an argument. Classic.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Leo said:

You weren't embarrassed you couldn't come up with: one instance of "foreigner price" in the UK; one instance of 90-day reporting in the UK; and one instance where police asked the parties involved in a dispute/accident to "negotiate"? These were my specific points. But you felt the need to reply with offensive language in lieu of .....an argument. Classic.

I didn't try and come up with one ?? Should I have ? 

90 day reporting - 30 seconds online - too much ? 

As for police lol - is negotiation such a bad thing ? errrr and in the UK at least, dispute resolution IS a thing. But at least out here not too many of them are kidnapping, raping, and murdering the citizens they are paid to protect. As I've said before the UK police have never been under a darker cloud.