Bangkok sex workers and bar staff call for monthly cash handouts

Thaiger

High heels were lined up on the ground and underwear was tied to a gate outside the Government House in Bangkok this morning as the city’s sex workers and other bar and nightlife staff called for monthly cash handouts. Covid-19 restrictions shut down bars and nightclubs, leaving many out of work for months. Only a group of around 20 gathered, some wearing bikinis over their clothes. Due to restrictions in Bangkok, no more than 20 people are allowed to gather. Pairs of high heels were neatly placed outside with messages attached. A sign said “No Money. No Honey. No GDP.” […]

The post Bangkok sex workers and bar staff call for monthly cash handouts appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

6 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Pairs of high heels were neatly placed outside with messages attached. A sign said “No Money. No Honey. No GDP.”

This is something the government closes their eyes to, but in reality the sex industry is a huge draw for Thailand, even in Phuket, for which the Sandtrap doesn't do anything, as everything is closed.

"Statistics for sex tourism in Thailand are hard to come by. Estimates suggest there are anywhere between 250,000 and 2 million sex workers in the country. Global black market database Havocscope puts the number at the lower end of that scale, with the equivalent of $6.4 billion being brought in. But other surveys and organisations place the number much closer to the 2 million mark." Dr. Hailey Stainton, tourismteacher.com

• Like 2

I saw photos of those workers, sorry, nothing personal, but i see the reason why this business collapsed way before the COVOD. And signs like: no money - no honey - no GDP? Sorry haven't heard of any of them paying taxes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some products lose significant value with time. I can't imagine expired product has ever done well in the market, even prior to the covit happening. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MrStretch said:

But other surveys and organisations place the number much closer to the 2 million mark." Dr. Hailey Stainton, tourismteacher.com

2 million from a population of 70 million?

Take out those too young and too old, and where do the customers come from?

17 minutes ago, Stonker said:

2 million from a population of 70 million?

Take out those too young and too old, and where do the customers come from?

It all depends on your definition. Some require payment up front for services, whereas others wait patiently and take payments later.  Nothing to do with age or height.  

2 hours ago, Objectivance said:

Some products lose significant value with time. I can't imagine expired product has ever done well in the market, even prior to the covit happening. 

I have plenty of friends who always buy expired (UBD/BBD) cheeses, camembert or blue varieties.  Is that a good example ... a rhetorical question :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

I have plenty of friends who always buy expired (UBD/BBD) cheeses, camembert or blue varieties.  Is that a good example ... a rhetorical question :)

Probably smell the same. 

10 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

I saw photos of those workers, sorry, nothing personal, but i see the reason why this business collapsed way before the COVOD. And signs like: no money - no honey - no GDP? Sorry haven't heard of any of them paying taxes

Paying taxes isn't a necessity for contributing to GDP, but spending that money is. (Admittedly, if they could legally report their earnings GDP would be higher, but it still factors in.)

• Like 1

Typical "we want something from something we don't contribute to" mentality. If your not paying your monthly Social Security deduction, then you have no skin in the game. How many are contributing to the healthcare/welfare system through mandatory monthly social security salary deductions? Everyone earning a salary/income is required to pay a certain % of that salary/income (up to a maximum payment of 750 baht per month) into the Social Security system. Get in line with everyone else who takes but doesn't contribute, you're nothing special.

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, MattOwensRees said:

They CAN'T pay ant tax or social security charges as they are not recognised. Once recognised, they could

Not being privy to the facts of this matter, I'll await the inevitable responses with interest, so thanks for stirring what could be a hornets' nest!

Hello, MattOwensRees and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

11 hours ago, MattOwensRees said:

@Blogosopher They CAN'T pay ant tax or social security charges as they are not recognised. Once recognised, they could

There are tens of thousands of workers who had recognized work in construction, hospitality etc and paid their social security dues but they still didn’t get any help from the government despite the fact they were fully entitled to it. Reason? Reims of paperwork are required and pettyfogging  local officials send them away for more paperwork because some document is missing and use every excuse in the book not to pay out any cash. Thai people are not confrontational by nature so they just give up. It’s a national scandal which needs exposing but probably never will be. If documented workers can’t get the money to which they’re fully entitled how much chance do you think undocumented workers like bar girls have? The government will continue to ignore them and pretend they don’t exist. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 2:32 AM, AlexPTY said:

In fact, taxes have very little to do with GDP, unless the government turns around and invests that money (infrastructure etc.). It's the consumption that these sex workers generate that counts towards GDP, dollar for dollar. PLUS, the indirect effect, the multiplier, i.e. the shops and businesses that receive that money turn around and invest, hire more staff etc. All in all, the sex workers are.....correct.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1