News Forum - Elderly northeast woman charged with theft after picking plants for curry

Thaiger

An elderly woman in northeast Thailand just wanted some fresh produce for her curry, but ended up being charged with theft. The woman, 70 year old Chaweewan, had headed out on June 11 to pick a handful of galangal sprouts from her village in Phang Khon district of Sakhon Nakhon province. Chaweewan says the area is public land, but one local woman said the area is their private property. A neighbour who saw Chaweewan picking the sprouts called the woman who claims to own the land. The neighbour told the woman, 64 year old Natda, that someone was picking the […]

The story Elderly northeast woman charged with theft after picking plants for curry as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, ronnie666 said:

Normally thai people are all about sharing, seems this one just want money. Pathetic people

When they get greedy they change personality completely and it usually the wealthy ones that are this way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ronnie666 said:

Normally thai people are all about sharing, seems this one just want money. Pathetic people

there are morons in every society

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Perhaps the owner can put up a fence, or, even better, a 10 ft concrete wall around her property. To prevent people from accidentallty picking a few shoots that may or may not be growing on her property or on public land  That should end any future discussion. If the wall is built exactly on the boundary of course. I guess it is well worth the investment to protect her valuable shoots.

Theft out in Thailand is rampant. Sure, it may be small stuff. But, it adds up. For 8 years now I have had to tolerate constant theft. Thais kill my birds, fish, frogs. One family will steal fruit, another will steal trees, mushroom, concrete poles. It’s like they had a town meeting and each family has a category from which they chose. 

Since the yaba use has skyrocketed out here as well. Theft has increased dramatically for everyone. 

It is an old lady...came on...Just let her enjoy her last few days. Nothing wrong is giving her something to cook and eat. After all she never take millions. She only took what is needed for her stomach for one meal

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Theft out in Thailand is rampant. Sure, it may be small stuff. But, it adds up. For 8 years now I have had to tolerate constant theft. Thais kill my birds, fish, frogs. One family will steal fruit, another will steal trees, mushroom, concrete poles. It’s like they had a town meeting and each family has a category from which they chose. 

Since the yaba use has skyrocketed out here as well. Theft has increased dramatically for everyone. 

not sure how you can compere a few vegetables for cooking to concrete posts, trees etc,

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Serious question, how much Yaba can you get for 1 frog.😉🏳️

OMG.

For few berries. Give that to the old lady and drop every proceedings. The pleasure is to be able to give. 

Are there something more then a few berries?

Albert 

"Police, as well as the village chief, are working to find a solution for the two women."

Only thing that tells me is that both women are likely to end up out of pocket.