Entry visa question

I'm a Kiwi who has been living in Sydney Australia for the past 11 years. I met a lovely Thai woman before Covid and have been stuck apart from her for 18 months now. I plan to emigrate to Thailand and hopefully pick up an Expat IT job in Bangkok for the next 3 years so I can apply for residency. 

I finish work tomorrow (June 30) and am just waiting for the Phuket Sandbox to be sorted so I can fly over for that. I have an STV visa which is good until around 22 December, and then I'll pop back to Australia for Xmas and come back on some other visa (unless I get a job in Bkk first in which case I'll have to leave and come back sooner).

38 minutes ago, DWiener said:

I finish work tomorrow (June 30) and am just waiting for the Phuket Sandbox to be sorted so I can fly over for that. I have an STV visa which is good until around 22 December, and then I'll pop back to Australia for Xmas and come back on some other visa (unless I get a job in Bkk first in which case I'll have to leave and come back sooner).

Hi DWiener,

I am very sorry having to throw some 'cold water' on your travel-plans, but it is better you are aware beforehand than finding out when it is too late.

The point being that unless you enter Thailand ultimately now Friday July 2nd, you will not be able to extend your STV anymore.

This because the STV is  being 'phased out' and the rules stipulate that 'An alien who entering into the Kingdom from 3 July 2021 onwards will not be permitted to extend visa.' < see attached >.

If the STV is not already applied for and in your passport, a far cheaper and flexible way would be to enter Thailand Visa Exempt which will provide you with a 45 day permission to stay, and once in Thailand apply for a 30-day extension of that permission to stay, followed then by 60-day 'covid'-extensions, which will as good as certain be continued until border-restrictions are lifted.

Alternatively if you cannot dump the STV anymore, a Fixer Visa Agent may be able to circumvent the extension problem you will be facing, after all this is Thailand...

STV regulations for extension dd March 2021.jpg

@DWiener

If you don't mind me asking are you +50 years of age.

I only ask to be able to give better advice on your Visa options for your next planned return to Thailand.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

been there done that, you should have done your research. A job, no chance unless you get expat work or a Thai company to sponsor you, I suggest going thailand without putting two feet in and your eyes open. Go online look at the job market, do your research, sorry to put a dampener on things, I had 2 businesses in Thailand 

On 6/28/2021 at 10:03 PM, BlueSphinx said:

followed then by 60-day 'covid'-extensions, which will as good as certain be continued until border-restrictions are lifted.

This raises an interesting point. Is it possible to do a 60-day COVID extension on an STV that does not qualify for the 90-day extensions?

7 minutes ago, JamesE said:

This raises an interesting point. Is it possible to do a 60-day COVID extension on an STV that does not qualify for the 90-day extensions?

You can no longer apply for the STV from a Thai Embassy, but if currently in Thailand on an STV you can still extend your stay for a further 90 days if you apply before 30th Sept.

1845873424_21.3.1STVregulationsforextension.jpg.64ccca3709294c6c97322f9b934a5182.jpg

2 minutes ago, Faz said:

You can no longer apply for the STV from a Thai Embassy, but if currently in Thailand on an STV you can still extend your stay for a further 90 days if you apply before 30th Sept.

Interesting. They're still being offered by the Thai Embassy in the US. (https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/) I wonder if they've just stopped issuing them in some countries?

25 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Interesting. They're still being offered by the Thai Embassy in the US. (https://thaiembdc.org/2020/12/10/stv/) I wonder if they've just stopped issuing them in some countries?

I hope they show any applicants the above infographic.

An alien entering into the Kingdom from 3rd July 2021 will not be permitted to extend visa.

They are better off applying for the Tourist Visa, 60 day entry and can be extended for 30 days, and an additional 60 days to visit Thai family/wife. (if applicable).

The Thai Embassy in London offer the following;
Special Tourist Visa (STV) will not be extended after 30 September 2021.

Please DO NOT apply for STV after 30 June 2021 and applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021 if they wish to extend their stay after 90 days. Application to extend their stay in Thailand must be submitted before 30 September 2021.**
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/special-tourist-visa-stv-will-not-be-extended-after-30-september-2021?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072de

The above Infographic is also shown.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 11:08 AM, DWiener said:

I plan to emigrate to Thailand and hopefully pick up an Expat IT job in Bangkok for the next 3 years so I can apply for residency. 

do you speak Thai? 

very rare anyone gets residency. not saying it does not happen but not easy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

I hope they show any applicants the above infographic.

They are better off applying for the Tourist Visa, 60 day entry and can be extended for 30 days, and an additional 60 days to visit Thai family/wife. (if applicable).

The Thai Embassy in London offer the following;
Special Tourist Visa (STV) will not be extended after 30 September 2021.

Please DO NOT apply for STV after 30 June 2021 and applicants must arrive in Thailand before 3 July 2021 if they wish to extend their stay after 90 days. Application to extend their stay in Thailand must be submitted before 30 September 2021.**
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/special-tourist-visa-stv-will-not-be-extended-after-30-september-2021?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072de

The above Infographic is also shown.

I agree with your visa plan. My question was that since OP already had an STV would that be eligible for a COVID 60-day extension even if it were no longer valid for the STV 90-day extension?