News Forum - Bang Saen Beach in Pattaya to ban drinking and smoking

Thaiger

Officials in Chon Buri province plan to ban the drinking of alcohol and smoking on Bang Saen Beach so they can develop the stretch as a model tourist attraction. The Thai Health Promotion Foundation, Saensuk Municipality of Muenf Chon Buri District, and the National Institute of Development Administration yesterday announced the project to upgrade Bang Saen Beach into a tourist destination free from alcohol and tobacco. The Acting Director of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, Roong-Aroon Liimhapunt, explained that the project aims to offer tourists a good environment, reduce the risks of passive smoke, and cut out chaos and violence […]

The story Bang Saen Beach in Pattaya to ban drinking and smoking as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

already most of the economy in the beach front shacks are drying out, now making this place as a No Alcholol zone !

I am sure it is next to impossible to implement this rule at this place.

Just another way to impose an iron fisted bend over rule so you can feel us tell you what to do. Bunch of Bozos, but I do think they should have all folk couteously leave the beach area to a walk way to smoke. I think no one really wants to smell it while relaxing and eating and drinking, but it should be everyone of the proper age's right to choose to drink or not to drink and not be told these are public beaches but not your public right of how to enjoy yourself. I myslef always have a beer at teh beach while sitting in my paid for chair and table area.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Permanent Secretary of Pattaya city, Pramoote Tubtim, reported that Bang Sean wanted cooperation from locals and visitors not to bring alcoholic drinks or cigarettes to the area. People who bring alcohol or smoke on the beach would be warned first. If those still fail to follow the rules, they face charges and penalties, to be outlined launched later.

You'd have to assume that it would need a database to monitor all these transgressors, in order to fine and charge them a second time.
Does it mean they'd want to see your passport (which you need to carry with you, or a copy)?

I wonder how many people with passport copies might might suddenly find their name has changed to Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney or Enid Blyton?

'The Thai Health Promotion Foundation revealed that 8,278 people died from receiving second hand smoke, and 25% of all road accidents are a result of drunk driving'

I presume these stats are of thais being used to stop foreigners drinking on a beach .. the passive smoking stats would normally come from confined areas not open air.. 

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Officials in Chon Buri province plan to ban the drinking of alcohol and smoking on Bang Saen Beach so they can develop the stretch as a model tourist attraction.

Yea, i dont think that the policy is going to align with the goals.  Smoking maybe, but banning drinking is going to reduce tourists

2 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

Yea, i dont think that the policy is going to align with the goals.  Smoking maybe, but banning drinking is going to reduce tourists

I would think it's more about the drinking that goes on after dark.Not forgetting the mess they leave behind.

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

but I do think they should have all folk couteously leave the beach area to a walk way to smoke. I think no one really wants to smell it while relaxing and eating and drinking

One of the worst aspects of Thailand

Rude European and Brit smokers.........not giving a shit about their smoking, especially in restaurants

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

'The Thai Health Promotion Foundation revealed that 8,278 people died from receiving second hand smoke, and 25% of all road accidents are a result of drunk driving'

I presume these stats are of thais being used to stop foreigners drinking on a beach .. the passive smoking stats would normally come from confined areas not open air.. 

In Phuket, they banned that about 2 years ago, I think. 

And, you won't believe it, even Russians have been seen smoking and drinking beer at the road side where the "ash trays" are and the garbage bins.

But actually reasoned it with cigarette butts and broken glas / cans on the beach.

And, of course, no one really cares, these days, if people do where ever they wanna do it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Rude European and Brit smokers.........not giving a shit about their smoking, especially in restaurants

Don't exclude the other world regions, in special the Asians, here. Please!  They mostly really don't care, too,  unless on their own table someone is complaining.

Like the two above mentioned groups, they even walking to the outside tables to get an ash tray for the table they are sitting on, inside! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

You can't resist having a go at Europeans and Brits can you Marc26. Every posts your bashing or blaming us for Thais woe's.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, vlad said:

You can't resist having a go at Europeans and Brits can you Marc26. Every posts your bashing or blaming us for Thais woe's.

I don't think I have ever done, I absolutely can

But please tell me I am wrong, that Europeans and Brits aren't the worst offenders when it comes to selfishly smoking in places like restaurants

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

That's pretty much the same as in Europe.  Not an excuse by any means, but you can't expect them to leave their bad habits/manners at home when they travel.

Edited by samiam123

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

one of the best things about Saen Saen used to be th low numbers of foreigners.

It is used largely by Bangkokians at the week-end being th newest beach to Bangkok.

the custom is to go to the seafront, rent a set of deck chairs under the umbrellas - eat fried rice and sea for and drink whiskey.

The town used to be run by a mafia style family politicians who resisted a lot obit hotel development on the saffron - around 10 years ago this policy was dropped and the low rise resorts gave way to bigger, more expensive developments. 

I don't know if this change has increased the presence of foreigners in the town but the beach has for decades been a place of "ordinary" Thai people to sit by the sea and eat and drink. Stopping tis could seriously damage the town's economy.

11 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

The Permanent Secretary of Pattaya city, Pramoote Tubtim, reported that Bang Sean wanted cooperation from locals and visitors not to bring alcoholic drinks or cigarettes to the area.

What's he got to do with Bang Saen???????

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The drinking problem that I see on the beaches of mainland Thailand is the groups of locals,eating and boozing and leaving the beach strewn with bottles and garbage.The smoking is a universal problem.The cigarette butt's contain plastic so they don't break down.

55 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

I don't know if this change has increased the presence of foreigners in the town but the beach has for decades been a place of "ordinary" Thai people to sit by the sea and eat and drink. Stopping tis could seriously damage the town's economy.

My wife and her family go to Cha Am exclusively to eat and drink at the beach

42 minutes ago, yselmike said:

The drinking problem that I see on the beaches of mainland Thailand is the groups of locals,eating and boozing and leaving the beach strewn with bottles and garbage.The smoking is a universal problem.The cigarette butt's contain plastic so they don't break down.

I, like most, am a selfish complainer. that doesn't bother my space  :)

but yes, I do see them leave their garbage, although I will say, groups like that are usually pretty nice, in the moment.............they may get up to some trouble after, which is not uncommon in Thailand and locals drinking

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

My wife and her family go to Cha Am exclusively to eat and drink at the beach

Is this connected to the topic?

5 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

Is this connected to the topic?

Read what I replied to dopey...........

I commented on the fact Thais like to go to eat and drink on the beach, it doesn't matter where

I was at Baeng Saen beach in late April. There's been a no smoking rule on the beach for ages and the vendors were only selling the beer in paper cups...not sure that this is anything new to be frank