Phuket re-opens Thursday, hotels ready and waiting to welcome foreign guests

Thaiger

As the southern island of Phuket gets ready to re-open to vaccinated foreign tourists on Thursday, hotel operators say they’re well prepared. A Bangkok Post report takes a look at the measures in place for the imminent launch of the Phuket “sandbox scheme”. Yesterday, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha highlighted the need for robust measures to stop the spread of Covid-19. At the Cape Panwa Hotel, in the southeast of the island, front office manager Boonsong Suratod says the property has been accredited by the Amazing Thailand Safety & Health Administration and is ready to welcome foreign tourists. “All workers here have […]

The post Phuket re-opens Thursday, hotels ready and waiting to welcome foreign guests appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

Except absolutely no-one will be coming. The new Phuket COE process only started (eventually) yesterday, and everyone who had pre-approval needs to re-apply. There are also additional requirements - the COE system is now re-directed to MoPH Thailand for Vaccination verification and approvals. Approval time approximately 3 working days. And the ridiculous THREE PCR tests now need be done at the hotel and prepaid and a confirmation letter from the hotel showing the payment needs to be attached to the COE. The hotels know nothing of this atm.

So, first international travellers are about another week away at least.

Oh, and it's *still* not in The Royal Gazette! Honestly, you couldn't make this stuff  up :-|

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

I agree, DW, no one will come.

I think the TAT's predictions will be like every other prediction they've made recently, garbage.

I remember when they that the special tourist visa and 150,000 Chinese were to come, but when contacted in China, the embassy and consulates reported ZERO applications.

Too much hassle, too expensive and there are nice places in the world with less hassle.

Thai officials are too enamored with themselves to understand they don't have a great product on offer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 2

People from North America who wanted to arrive for the big airport welcome on July 1 would be boarding planes in less than 24 hours. Except they won't since they can't get a COE.

My COE was pre approved a week ago, cancelled on Monday (because I didn't click the sandbox button that didn't exist). I resubmitted, but now the pre approval is awaiting someone in BKK must review vaccination certificates. Once that's done I can do get pre approved and go on to part 2 - upload my flight and SHA+ certificate. But wait! Now there is the 3 prepaid Covid test receipt to upload but no details on how to make that purchase and no spot on the COE site to add it. 

That airport welcome may be embarrassing with no tourists arriving. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 2

Any potential expat (or Thai) returnee should realise by now that a Bangkok ASQ is the surest way to re-enter. 

>

As a side note, can anyone confirm whether the 300 baht arrival fee has been introduced?  Perhaps hidden in ticket cost but the interesting thing is it's purpose is for 'insurance cover' ... yet another impost and no doubt excludes covid.

• Like 4

They will get people, about 1K per day. The same amount Thailand currently gets through the exiting quarantine system. Mostly business people, returning expats and people who have been separated from their families. Tourists, a few but not many. I can’t wait to come back, but I’m not going through all this trouble and risk. I’m headed to Europe instead. I’ll come to Thailand in December when all this is worked out. Good luck to those brave souls who are coming. Keep us updated. 

• Like 2

it is impossible to obtain the COE because the European vaccination certificate does not contain all the required data, i.e. passport number and vaccine batch number

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luigi said:

it is impossible to obtain the COE because the European vaccination certificate does not contain all the required data, i.e. passport number and vaccine batch number

Passport number. I don't think there's a country anywhere which puts the passport number on. I know my US-CDC record doesn't (Although we do have a batch and lot number.) This is going to cut down on the arrivals.

Edited by King Cotton
Deletion of meaningless text-talk LOL, as per Guideline 15
  • Haha 1

My former COE was cancelled on Sunday.  I wasn't surprised, so I re-applied at 12:00 noon (Thailand Time) and of course it was rejected as the embassy in the US did not have an updated form.  Reapplied once again with the 'new' form this morning... Waiting and quickly losing hope that I will get an approved response before I get to the point that I have no other choice but to cancel my current reservations.

I'm at the point of heading to the Caribbean for months instead.  One more road block and I'm done with the process.  I'll visit in a few months when maybe the Gov and embassies in the US can get it together.  The Caribbean is a s**t show too... but they're ready for incoming guests.  I just want to go diving...

• Like 2

I wish the Thaiger would stop publishing these ridiculous articles. Nothing has changed you cannot go to Phuket on Thursday and stay Quarantine free. 

44 minutes ago, Norton said:

My former COE was cancelled on Sunday.  I wasn't surprised, so I re-applied at 12:00 noon (Thailand Time) and of course it was rejected as the embassy in the US did not have an updated form.  Reapplied once again with the 'new' form this morning... Waiting and quickly losing hope that I will get an approved response before I get to the point that I have no other choice but to cancel my current reservations.

I'm at the point of heading to the Caribbean for months instead.  One more road block and I'm done with the process.  I'll visit in a few months when maybe the Gov and embassies in the US can get it together.  The Caribbean is a s**t show too... but they're ready for incoming guests.  I just want to go diving...

Yes, the Caribbean sounds good and makes mega-sense, too!

Hello, Norton and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

1 hour ago, Johnmc17 said:

I wish the Thaiger would stop publishing these ridiculous articles. Nothing has changed you cannot go to Phuket on Thursday and stay Quarantine free. 

Where have you seen anything published by The Thaiger that says you can stay quarantine free?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Passport number. I don't think there's a country anywhere which puts the passport number on. I know my US-CDC record doesn't (Although we do have a batch and lot number.) This is going to cut down on the arrivals.

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

james e If you get the official letter from the NHS it has all the vaccinations u have had , batch details dates time etc of when u had them , passport not required for vaccinations ? 

• Like 1

I read the whole article thinking i would get to the bit where a hotel manager would say how many bookings they had taken. But no word of how many. 

It's all very well being prepared and getting your hotel ready. But the product you're trying to sell isn't good enough to tempt enough people to buy. 

Who wants to be met at the airport by hazmat suits? Who wants to be forced to pay for nonsensical extras?

They may get a few crazies who have failed to research just what is in store for them when they arrive. But thats all and even the crazies will wise up and spread the word when their wallets get emptied. Sorry to say the sandbox is d.o.a.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Any potential expat (or Thai) returnee should realise by now that a Bangkok ASQ is the surest way to re-enter. 

>

As a side note, can anyone confirm whether the 300 baht arrival fee has been introduced?  Perhaps hidden in ticket cost but the interesting thing is it's purpose is for 'insurance cover' ... yet another impost and no doubt excludes covid.

Yes the insurance cover is a big issue 

6 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Not sure if it has or not, but only 34 baht of it was due to be " 'insurance cover' ", and since arrivals already need $100,000 worth that part seems pretty moot.

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

Yes the insurance cover is a big issue 

Why?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesE said:

That was always going to be a problem, since there's no recognized vaccination verification system, even with a passport number, particularly as many countries change the passport number whenever a passport is renewed - Thailand is one of the few that doesn't.

One of the many problems not yet properly addressed.

• Like 1

Obviously the first few weeks will be a disaster as predicted. I hope they learn the lessons and get it right eventually, but if the daily cases numbers dont start declining soon, it aint going anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spider1743 said:

james e If you get the official letter from the NHS it has all the vaccinations u have had , batch details dates time etc of when u had them , passport not required for vaccinations ? 

NHS, Hah! (Is "Hah!" allowed under Guideline 15???) I live in a Third World Country. The US has no NHS and most likely never will.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Norton said:

It appears that your flight must be an "international direct flight to Phuket".  This will likely be one more road block for you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesE said:

NHS, Hah! (Is "Hah!" allowed under Guideline 15???) I live in a Third World Country. The US has no NHS and most likely never will.

'Hah' allowed? Course it is . . . the most meaningful word you've said all day ;) and the odd colon or semi + bracket also allowed!

• Like 1

If you need to get to Thailand for actual family, and or business owners etc, then use the ASQ program. Short of pure desperation and or an allergy to lotion, I'm not sure why anyone would partake in this. It will all be discounted by leaps and bounds in a year or two.  Take a deep breath, take some cold showers and save your cash. 

Edited by Objectivance
  • Cool 1