Can’t stay in room together unless married??!

Elmedico5

I’ve heard and read a lot of craziness with this whole Phuket sandbox thing but the craziest thing so far is when I heard they don’t people staying in the hotel room together unless they are married. First of all I was coming to Phuket to propose to my gf and we definitely were going to stay in the same room. This new rule pumped the brakes on my trip. But how will they police this anyway? Are they gonna have guards at every hotel room door? What’s to keep a person from booking two rooms and sneaking over at night? I mean who’s thinking up these crazy rules. It’s ridiculous! They want to bring tourists back but all these rules are working against that goal. Thoughts anyone?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Elmedico5 said:

I’ve heard and read a lot of craziness with this whole Phuket sandbox thing but the craziest thing so far is when I heard they don’t people staying in the hotel room together unless they are married. First of all I was coming to Phuket to propose to my gf and we definitely were going to stay in the same room. This new rule pumped the brakes on my trip. But how will they police this anyway? Are they gonna have guards at every hotel room door? What’s to keep a person from booking two rooms and sneaking over at night? I mean who’s thinking up these crazy rules. It’s ridiculous! They want to bring tourists back but all these rules are working against that goal. Thoughts anyone?

From what I understand this was a rather off the cuff comment from a government minister who opened his big mouth without thinking of the implications. It was obviously an attempt to stop single young men arriving in Phuket and finding a local girl through a dating app (since the bars are closed at the moment), bringing her back to his hotel and shacking up with her. Many of the more up-market hotels try to control this by disallowing local females to join the original male guest after he has checked in by claiming that she is an unregistered guest. However, genuine couples (married or not) will have no trouble on arrival because obviously they check in together. It’s obviously farcical to suggest that you should have to prove that you’re married by….what? Showing a foreign marriage certificate….?!! So I think it’s safe to say that you and your partner would not have a problem.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Leeshard...you are right. I mean anyone can créate a fake marriage certificate and I was wondering how they would check this anyway.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:16 PM, Elmedico5 said:

Ridiculous it certainly is, as hundreds of thousands would-be visitors must also be thinking and as tomorrow will more than likely prove.

Hello, Elmedico5 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

• 6 months later...
On 6/28/2021 at 5:16 AM, Elmedico5 said:

Omicron is the beginning of the end of covid if it's not the end. Wait for things to settle. It could be as soon as mid or late this year.