Koh Larn to pilot Pattaya’s reopening to tourists

Thaiger

Koh Larn off the coast of Pattaya could be reopening to tourists in the near future. As Thailand prepares to reopen to foreign tourists by October, the Chon Buri island will serve as a pilot project for the area’s reopening. Pattaya Mayor Sontaya Khunpluem says the city is in favour of the Thai government’s 120-day reopening plan, a goal announced by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha earlier this month. No proposed reopening date has been reported, but earlier reports list Pattaya to reopen in September. A vaccination campaign has been launched on the island in an effort to inoculate 70% of people on […]

The post Koh Larn to pilot Pattaya’s reopening to tourists appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Who the heck thought up this idea? There is nothing worth speaking of on Kho Larn. A few decent enough beaches, and some small hotels and shops on a tiny island. It’s where you go for a few hours to break up the week while visiting Pattaya. I see no advantage to this plan in any way whatsoever. If I’m going to get stuck somewhere for 14 nights it sure isn’t going to be Kho Larn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

Who the heck thought up this idea? There is nothing worth speaking of on Kho Larn. A few decent enough beaches, and some small hotels and shops on a tiny island. It’s where you go for a few hours to break up the week while visiting Pattaya. I see no advantage to this plan in any way whatsoever. If I’m going to get stuck somewhere for 14 nights it sure isn’t going to be Kho Larn. 

Ditto, @EdV.

Wierd.  You go there for a break from Pattaya or for a night away at the most.  No-one's going to go there for 7 or 14 days pre-Pattaya - literally no-one.

... and how would you get there while quarantined? 

Fly to Bangkok, then taxi / bus / mini-bus to Pattaya, then the ferry?

Someone's seriously lost their marbles with this one, and that's a few thousand vaccines wasted that should be going to those who need them.

• Haha 1

Can't  see it being a problem, as no one is going to go.

Just checked the UK Thai Embassy site re: Certificate of Entry.

They are still saying you must quarentine for 15 nights in bold red print!

So, no announcement in the Royal Gazette about the Phuket Sandbox, ( the route to opening up the country), no change in requirements for entry even if doubly vaccinated. All this, and its supposed to start on Thursday.

Ah well, it is Thailand!!

All the hall marks of an unmitigated disaster! 

• Like 1

it's like a Rat Race movie now in Thailand, every tambon and every island want to get those bags of gold called "the tourists" Every person with the IQ bigger than one of the chicken already understand that this is not gonna happen and people still talking about it. i love this country, puts smile on my face every time of the day

• Haha 3

What is Thailand's facination with islands. Like virus can't escape an island? Duh! The country needs some serious leadership this is just getting ridiculous!

• Cool 1

I don't get Koh Larn - rubbish everywhere and in normal times overrun with Chinese and Indian day trippers and a boat trip over stinking of diesel. Could have been 'paradise island' but that boat has long since sailed. 

If you want to see a perfect example of squandering of public funds on failed projects go to Samae Beach and see their eco project built in 2011 and now mouldering away in the sea air. This 2018 reboot never happened. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-eyes-resurrecting-failed-koh-larn-wind-power-plant-200177

• Like 1