News Forum - Tourism ‘insurance’ fee will cover ALL foreigners entering Thailand

Thaiger

Whilst postponed for a few months, the proposed 300 baht “tourism fee” is back in the news with the Tourism and Sports Ministry providing more details about how it will be collected and what it will be used for. Originally planned for implementation at the start of this year, the proposal was shelved because of the onset of the Omicron variants of Covid-19 and a lack of details about how the fee was going to be collected. Now, the new, compulsory, arrival fee will apply to all foreigners, “without exception” and will provide insurance coverage with a value of 500,000 […]

The story Tourism ‘insurance’ fee will cover ALL foreigners entering Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Now finally this makes "some sense"  If unpaid medical bills were really a problem, a small fee on all tourists more than covers the amount  of under the reported 448 million baht.  The cost and hassle of making each tourist get insurance specific to Thailand was one more reason to not select Thailand as a place to visit.  Can you imagine the nightmare of a tourist who is planning on traveling through Asia if every country imposed its own rules on what the insurance must cover and which insurance companies were approved. 

In a normal year Thailand has approximately 38 million tourists.  The 300 baht fee would generate several times the amount reported unpaid to the health care industry. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

In a normal year Thailand has approximately 38 million tourists.  The 300 baht fee would generate several times the amount reported unpaid to the health care industry. 

Thus creating the perfect pot to pilfer over and over again.

Another form of golden goose.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

a normal year Thailand has approximately 38 million tourists. 

15 years ago it was less than half that  at 15 million tourists.  The huge problem here in Pattaya is that the infrastructure has not changed since the 1990's.  Streets have not been widened, sidewalks are mostly in need of repairs or non-existent, and there are no parking lots for the >200 percent increase in visitors and expats in the last 15 years.  

Insurance is just another scam for extra money in officials pockets, like the Beach road and Bali Hai improvement projects here in Pattaya that were paid for in 2019 and the work has never been started

• Like 3

They're getting there slowly although how does an airline differentiate fare pricing for my Thai wife at the booking/payment stage?   Is there already an algorithm in the Airline booking systems to join the dots to a Thai passport?

• Like 4

So it’s insurance coverage that doesn’t cover Covid or health expenses. Accident injury coverage for 30 days should cost no where near 300 baht. They’ve solved a problem that doesn’t exist with a new bureaucracy. Typical government  

Ultimately this hurts land entry from Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia the most. But I guess that just another part of the economy that’s expendable to this government. 

I also find it interesting the supposed delay is because they don’t know how to collect it at the border (I’m pretty sure it’s not that hard to collect a toll) and the airlines have no problem with it. Somehow I’m suspicious of that excuse. 

Hopefully they can’t get this implemented before the next election and the whole thing gets a fresh look

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Now finally this makes "some sense"  If unpaid medical bills were really a problem, a small fee on all tourists more than covers the amount  of under the reported 448 million baht.  The cost and hassle of making each tourist get insurance specific to Thailand was one more reason to not select Thailand as a place to visit.  Can you imagine the nightmare of a tourist who is planning on traveling through Asia if every country imposed its own rules on what the insurance must cover and which insurance companies were approved. 

Does not cover hospital expenses or medical fees so does nothing to cover unpaid medical costs. There will be very little payouts under such a structure. Another money grab with little benefits. 

• Like 3

Article says all foreigners to be charged on their airfare. Does that mean my thai citizen spouse's plane ticket will be 300 baht cheaper than mine??

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, strbl said:

Does not cover hospital expenses or medical fees so does nothing to cover unpaid medical costs. There will be very little payouts under such a structure. Another money grab with little benefits. 

What exactly will it cover, please, anyone?

34 minutes ago, strbl said:

I did not know that.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExpatPattaya said:

insurance is just another scam for extra money in officials pockets,

What I think is that the insurance companies used their influence to get the government to pass the mandatory insurance  What a great way to rip people off is when you have to purchase the insurance, the insurance company can only be one from the approved list and then of course there is still no guarantee that the insurance company won't find some way to exclude the claim. 

I know this, I was in Europe returning to Thailand and had to buy the mandatory Covid insurance.  The hassle of locating the insurance company, then having to scan and upload my documents including proof of covid vaccination etc. was enough that if I was a tourist considering Thailand, I would have chosen someplace else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naanlaew said:

Thus creating the perfect pot to pilfer over and over again.

Another form of golden goose

Yes whenever the government says they are here to "protect" you hold on to your wallet.  The amount reported as unpaid medical bills in Thailand prior to Covid was 442 million baht.  That is barely more than 10 baht per tourist.  So you are going to discourage travel to Thailand by making it a hassle in order to save the miniscule amount of money. 

Stores all the time run sales promotions, selling things at less than cost (losing money) in order to get people into the stores, knowing that they will spend more and they will recoup their losses.  The government reported that the average tourist coming to Thailand in 2019, spent 48580 baht while here.  So for each tourist lost the economy loses 48580 but saves the 10 - 12 baht that the average tourist might have cost the healthcare industry in unpaid medical bills. 

Now you know why they are in government and not running a private business.  

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure in a previous news release it's part of the ฿300 (around ฿50)  that will go towards the insurance, the rest is supposed to go to improvements on infrastructure for tourist destinations.. oh and don't forget the ฿700 leaving Thailand fee that is already in the price and collected by your airline

First it was for upgrading tourist attractions and development now it change to medical i know thai have a hard time tell the true so i will not be to surprised

• Like 1

•  
  •  
  •  

"The insurance coverage will up to a value of 500,000 baht, covering accidents, riots, terrorism, natural disaster or “other incidents”. There would be a 1 million baht payout in the event of death and cremation or funeral expenses up to 150,000 baht. 

"Health, hospital or Covid-19 expenses won’t be covered under the new compulsory arrival tourism fee..."

So just WHAT, exactly, will this cover? Accident - how if you are injured does it not include hospitalisation> Same with he rest of the examples given? Sounds like nothing more than another 'entry fee'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Hopefully they can’t get this implemented before the next election and the whole thing gets a fresh look

You think the election is going to make a difference? The Junta will still manage to have control and bounce from crisis to crisis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

What exactly will it cover, please, anyone?

Perhaps another wristwatch or five for the Minister for Health?

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

Accident - how if you are injured does it not include hospitalisation

If it’s an Road Accident they don’t expect you will require hospitalisation, just cremation, which is covered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

If it’s an Road Accident they don’t expect you will require hospitalisation, just cremation, which is covered.

If you're Scottish, on Burns night.

Many years ago, Bahrain used to collect a fee in person at departure.  Had to queue up at a kiosk to pay/get a receipt before allowed into the outbound Immigration area.  Eventually added to all tickets - more of an airport/infrastructure fee though, not specific to a medical thing.  Same deal with the USA's universal laundry list of taxes and fees added to tickets.  Americans are rich though, and never complain about shouldering costs to cover non-citizens and immigrants.  English/UK same same.  😋🤣

For this specific charge though, it's another case of the masses paying for the sins of a relative minority of dirt bags who abscond medical bills here.  Fair that Thais shouldn't have to shoulder any of the burden. 

Pax already have to provide identification data when buying tickets on-line or through an agent.  Far as I recall, specific passport details were optional, but you could provide in advance to streamline verification at the check-in desk.   So if you're Thai and want to avoid the farang tax, provide your Thai passport details when booking, and that should trigger a no-fee code in the system.  I'm no IT guy but that doesn't seem like a hard one to get done.  0=True.  1=False. 

I wonder what kicks in first, the Thai insurance or the insurance you buy on your own? I can just see the two fighting over who has to pay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When is an insurance policy not an insurance policy?

When the Thai government call it one.

Covers nothing!

Imagine needing to receive medical care and relying on this, and if you can't rely on it and you must use your own resources or own insurance,  what's the point of it?

It's 300 thb, but it's a rip off!

Edited by BIGGLES
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Viggen840 said:
The insurance coverage will up to a value of 500,000 baht, covering accidents, riots, terrorism, natural disaster or “other incidents”. There would be a 1 million baht payout in the event of death and cremation or funeral expenses up to 150,000 baht. 
  •  

"Health, hospital or Covid-19 expenses won’t be covered under the new compulsory arrival tourism fee..."

So just WHAT, exactly, will this cover? Accident - how if you are injured does it not include hospitalisation> Same with he rest of the examples given? Sounds like nothing more than another 'entry fee'

Death insurance? 

It's 300 Baht people, so US$8, or 7 Pounds Sterling, so the price of a middling bottle of wine, or one beer in London, or two latte in Starbucks. If you are getting all bent out of shape about that small amount, or using it as a reason not to come to LOS, its probably best that you don't fly at all. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TWS60 said:

Many years ago, Bahrain used to collect a fee in person at departure.  Had to queue up at a kiosk to pay/get a receipt before allowed into the outbound Immigration area.  Eventually added to all tickets - more of an airport/infrastructure fee though, not specific to a medical thing.  Same deal with the USA's universal laundry list of taxes and fees added to tickets.  Americans are rich though, and never complain about shouldering costs to cover non-citizens and immigrants.  English/UK same same.  😋🤣

For this specific charge though, it's another case of the masses paying for the sins of a relative minority of dirt bags who abscond medical bills here.  Fair that Thais shouldn't have to shoulder any of the burden. 

Pax already have to provide identification data when buying tickets on-line or through an agent.  Far as I recall, specific passport details were optional, but you could provide in advance to streamline verification at the check-in desk.   So if you're Thai and want to avoid the farang tax, provide your Thai passport details when booking, and that should trigger a no-fee code in the system.  I'm no IT guy but that doesn't seem like a hard one to get done.  0=True.  1=False. 

Except the international ticketing system covers, well, all countries.  The system is set up for landing fees and security charges that apply to all passengers. But rather than collecting the fee themselves they want to sink it in airline tickets while also avoiding criticism from Thais about the fee. 

Korea, Australia and others now require an electronic authorization with a fee for foreign arrivals. Why can’t Thailand just do the same thing?  Because they want the fee but they also want to try to hide it. 

• Thanks 1