Good Morning Thailand Live | BKK back to restrictions, should media publish covid numbers?

Thaiger

Tim Newton, Bill Barnett and Caitlin Ashsworth discuss the current situation in Bangkok and 9 other provinces in Thailand where restrictions are being re-imposed. Caitlin outlines all the latest news out of Bangkok. Also discussing one publisher’s demands that Thai media not publish daily Covid figures. As usual, we will try to answer as many questions of yours as we can.

The post Good Morning Thailand Live | BKK back to restrictions, should media publish covid numbers? appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thanks for always keeping us informed. With all the nre restrictions this Monday, l've been wondering how this affect school reopening here in BKK or nationwide?

I think media (and yes that definately includes The Thaiger), should publicise the daily figures of Covid cases and where they are happening. It helps people to make informed choices. The only aspects that seems to be missing are the number of those who have recovered from the virus and also the numbers of those who have received first and second doses of vaccines. Just reporting the new cases isn't the full picture. I rely on worldometer to get the best information. I think day after day seeing only the new case numbers, can be really depressing for people. It's also an unbalanced picture. So show these other stats as well. It keeps thepublic informed and the government accountable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faith said:

Thanks for always keeping us informed. With all the nre restrictions this Monday, l've been wondering how this affect school reopening here in BKK or nationwide?

Yes, we like most people are wondering about school opening, too, but thanks for your kind words!

Hello, Faith and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

No! The covid scamdemic is a media created panic attack. 99% recovery rate. Nothing to worry about treat it with malaria drug works fine.

called it a lockdown, but then said it's not a lockdown. restrictions is a flexible term, use it carefully. it's like immunity, which people thought is complete protection, but it's not. don't watch Law In Order too much

• Haha 2

This pandemic is probably ending more lives through financial crisis and woes than illness. I feel sorry.for the healthy people who are totally asymptomatic and have lost their livelihoods. The media is much to blame.

15 minutes ago, Bonzman said:

This pandemic is probably ending more lives through financial crisis and woes than illness. I feel sorry.for the healthy people who are totally asymptomatic and have lost their livelihoods. The media is much to blame.

I had to agree with your main illness vs financial woes premise, but your media to blame has got me puzzled, but that's what the forum is for . . . yes?

Hello, Bonzman and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

In the interest of full transparency it should be noted that most of the beaches ,if not all, will have signs advising beachgoers NOT to swim due to rip currents this time of year(July-Sept) . If those few tourists who do manage to come to Phuket think they will enjoy clean and safe beaches they will be sadly disappointed. I say this as one who lived in Phuket for 13 years and suffered through many "rainy seasons". I realize this is not something TAT wants widely advertised but better than having tourists say "why wasn't I told of the beach restrictions earlier".

3 hours ago, Stevearu said:

In the interest of full transparency it should be noted that most of the beaches ,if not all, will have signs advising beachgoers NOT to swim due to rip currents this time of year(July-Sept) . If those few tourists who do manage to come to Phuket think they will enjoy clean and safe beaches they will be sadly disappointed. I say this as one who lived in Phuket for 13 years and suffered through many "rainy seasons". I realize this is not something TAT wants widely advertised but better than having tourists say "why wasn't I told of the beach restrictions earlier".

Yes, that's a real beach of a problem . . . sorry, couldn't resist!

Hello, Stevearu and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

publish daily covid figure is important as it helps keep track of whether the epidemic has become more severe or slow down, and helps to avoid going to more risky locations unless necessary and strengthen preventive or remedial measures. Without knowing daily figure, people are kept in the dark and would be more reckless and carefree which may most likely result in more infection!  The lesser of two evil, perhaps it is better to remove all strict measures than not publishing covid figure daily, at least the former makes us happier to enjoy good food and entertain

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 2:24 PM, Faith said:

From what my school has just told us, is that this whole semester will be just online classes. But not sure if this will count for every school, as mine is a private school. 

On 6/28/2021 at 3:05 PM, Jason said:

I think media (and yes that definately includes The Thaiger), should publicise the daily figures of Covid cases and where they are happening. It helps people to make informed choices. The only aspects that seems to be missing are the number of those who have recovered from the virus and also the numbers of those who have received first and second doses of vaccines. Just reporting the new cases isn't the full picture. I rely on worldometer to get the best information. I think day after day seeing only the new case numbers, can be really depressing for people. It's also an unbalanced picture. So show these other stats as well. It keeps thepublic informed and the government accountable.

How about the media to be completely silent about anything to do with Covid. Would we personally still notice anything about Covid? In this 1.5 year, I haven't noticed anything other than restrictions. And neither do people I know. And neither do they know anyone who has noticed anything. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

How about the media to be completely silent about anything to do with Covid. Would we personally still notice anything about Covid? In this 1.5 year, I haven't noticed anything other than restrictions. And neither do people I know. And neither do they know anyone who has noticed anything. 

Yeah, same here and same when I was in the US. Honestly I think people's obsession with it gives them some sort of bizarre sense of purpose. Scolding others for asking questions or having a different approaches, gives them a sense of authority and the opportunity to "appear" virtuous. I don't think too many people are legitimately scared of it, if they were they wouldn't take their paper sneeze guards off at restaurants to eat while leisurely socializing. 

The whole psychology of it all is wholly illogical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

That’s because the restrictions are working to keep numbers under control. Perhaps you would like to see bodies piling up in the streets and then you and your friends would notice it. Alternatively, you could hop on a flight to India and check out a few hospitals there. Plenty of people in corridors begging for oxygen. If you are really lucky, you could pop out to the back of the hospital and see them burning the bodies by the hundred. Book a hotel on the Ganges and count the dead bodies floating in the water. Incredulous !!

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

That’s because the restrictions are working to keep numbers under control. Perhaps you would like to see bodies piling up in the streets and then you and your friends would notice it. Alternatively, you could hop on a flight to India and check out a few hospitals there. Plenty of people in corridors begging for oxygen. If you are really lucky, you could pop out to the back of the hospital and see them burning the bodies by the hundred. Book a hotel on the Ganges and count the dead bodies floating in the water. Incredulous !!

That's what we see on tv, but it's all the way in India. Have you seen it personally? Have I seen it personally? I didn't at least. 

In China people were dead in the streets, which the news promised us would happen everywhere. While they claimed things got as worse as in China, the only action you could see was on tv, not in real life. But if it would be that bad, wouldn't you notice people dead on every corner of the street? 

But about bodies piling up in the streets... That's what the news makes it sound like happening now, but I still don't see it here. 

I do think tho that there's a virus, but the thing is that it's made bigger than that it actually is. 

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

That's what we see on tv, but it's all the way in India. Have you seen it personally? Have I seen it personally? I didn't at least. 

In China people were dead in the streets, which the news promised us would happen everywhere. While they claimed things got as worse as in China, the only action you could see was on tv, not in real life. But if it would be that bad, wouldn't you notice people dead on every corner of the street? 

But about bodies piling up in the streets... That's what the news makes it sound like happening now, but I still don't see it here. 

I do think tho that there's a virus, but the thing is that it's made bigger than that it actually is. 

I agree the media have hyped and scared people more than it should have done. However, I can’t understand why on the one hand people don’t want restrictions and on the other claim that it’s not that serious. Why can’t people see that it’s because of the restrictions that it’s not serious? An analogy would be to say I don’t know why people have to wear seatbelts in cars, there aren’t that many people who get thrown through the windscreen in a car accident. It’s cause and effect. Lockdowns and restrictions are put in to place and the effect is low numbers of cases. Remove the lockdown and then numbers will rise and hospitalisations will rise, followed by rising deaths. Cause and effect…

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

What? So if you see reporting of flooding from a hurricane, or a collapsed building in Miami, or a gas pipeline fire in the Gulf of Mexico, it's not real because you didn't witness it personally? What about the major movement in a stock market? The World Cup, World Series, or Stanley Cup? Yeah, didn't think so. You just don't want to believe things can get as bad as they are so you look for excuses why it can't be. The term of art is: Confirmation Bias. If you state that one thing is false because you only see it on TV then it follows that all things you see on TV are false.

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

Lockdowns and restrictions are put in to place and the effect is low numbers of cases.

And when things improved because of the lockdowns and restrictions worked there was an immediate clamor to open back up because COVID wasn't getting better. This was done globally with exactly no sense of irony.

5 hours ago, JamesE said:

What? So if you see reporting of flooding from a hurricane, or a collapsed building in Miami, or a gas pipeline fire in the Gulf of Mexico, it's not real because you didn't witness it personally? What about the major movement in a stock market? The World Cup, World Series, or Stanley Cup? Yeah, didn't think so. You just don't want to believe things can get as bad as they are so you look for excuses why it can't be. The term of art is: Confirmation Bias. If you state that one thing is false because you only see it on TV then it follows that all things you see on TV are false.

What I mean is that they say it's out there everywhere. Step out of your door and get Covid instantly. This is going on for 2 years. So I conclude that it's a bit too much what the news is saying. That doesn't immediately mean that I don't believe anything. I just don't take the news reporting on Covid really serious. 

In the meanwhile I stay clean, wear a mask, take my vaccine, when they finally allow me to, but this is all just to keep doing what I want to do. Or else I'm not allowed to do anything. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

And when things improved because of the lockdowns and restrictions worked there was an immediate clamor to open back up because COVID wasn't getting better. This was done globally with exactly no sense of irony.

I agree James. All lockdowns were ever meant to do, was keep numbers to manageable levels until the vaccines arrived late last year. The smart governments knew this and as soon as vaccines looked promising, they got in quick and signed orders back last May or June. It seems some governments (and individuals) thought lockdowns were aimed at eradicating the disease. How can that possibly be the case. Even the vaccines won’t eradicate Covid, they will just make numbers manageable and allow the world to unlock itself. Rest assured, even if you get vaccinated, there is a good chance you will contract Covid over the next few years. You just have a much higher chance of survival and won’t need to go in to hospital. 

Edited by Soidog
  • Like 1