News Forum - Khao San scam: tourists forced to pay for returning lost wallet

Thaiger

A new warning has gone out as yet another scam is being perpetrated on foreigners in the tourist backpacker mecca that is Khao San Road. This scam targets would-be do-gooders trying to help return a lost wallet. A man recently reported to local media that he had been leaving a bar late at night when all the clubs and nightlife shut down on the infamous party road when he stumbled upon a wallet on the ground, lying innocently next to a lamppost. He picked it up and inspected the lost wallet and discovered 1,000 baht inside. He knew he wanted […]

The story Khao San scam: tourists forced to pay for returning lost wallet as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The man was shocked that the police were taking the woman’s side and treating him as a criminal

12 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Many are appealing to the police and authorities to take action to prevent this and other scams from being carried out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Davelee said:

Next time just drop it off at the police station 

Do not touch it. Do not pick it up. Yes it is sad, but, unless you want to be accused of theft and then pay, pay to be exonerated, walk away. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mudshark said:

Do not touch it. Do not pick it up. Yes it is sad, but, unless you want to be accused of theft and then pay, pay to be exonerated, walk away. 

Well meaning western tourists won't do that. Better to have a PSA from the Thai police to just return found wallets to the station. Someone who really lost their wallet isn't going to care as much about the cash vs the cards you lose.  So if some cash is gone then so be it. 

Locally Thailand's a civil society and most people would want to return, even if some cash goes a bit missing. Who cares, you got the important stuff back. 

Morale of the story: What is normal in your home  country is not the norm here in Thailand. Dont get involved with anything, see something, walk away.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, palooka said:

Next time kick it along until you find a Klong, seweror something just as smelly.

First take that 1k out to get yourself something nice. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good example of a police officer not being honest against a foreigner... shit, Thailand just shoot themselves again in the feet... give it a day and they do it again

My advice take the wallet and the money and enjoy a free beer

Edited by ronnie666
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Davelee said:

Thailand the wonderful land of scams. That’s a new one on me. I think the same thing would happen if he dropped ot off at the police station. They’d still claim there was money in it. You’d need to get someone’s attention to witness you picking it up or just leave it. 

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A new warning has gone out as yet another scam is being perpetrated on foreigners in the tourist backpacker mecca that is Khao San Road. This scam targets would-be do-gooders trying to help return a lost wallet. A man recently reported to local media that he had been leaving a bar late at night when all the clubs and nightlife shut down on the infamous party road when he stumbled upon a wallet on the ground, lying innocently next to a lamppost. He picked it up and inspected the lost wallet and discovered 1,000 baht inside. He knew he wanted […]

The story Khao San scam: tourists forced to pay for returning lost wallet as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The police got this wrong especially knowing this occurred in the past!

I think that police department needs to fork up some of their tea monies to the   People they forced to payup

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riclag said:

I think that police department needs to fork up some of their tea monies to the   People they forced to payup

I’d be happy with my wallet back with all of its content minus the cash

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

It's not beyond the realms of the imagination to believe that the police might be in on the act.

One for you, two for me.

🚔👮‍♂️

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

hello teerak! bai nai?  where u gooooo?  i go with uuuuuuuuuuu?...

My wife found a Japanese guy's wallet on Sukhumvit right by Nana

It has all his credit cards and 8k baht

She said we shouldn't bring it to police

I kept it and found him on Facebook

He was big shot at a big firm

I sent him a private message but he never responded and I didn't want to say anything publicly on FB, maybe get him in trouble

I kept the wallet for 2 weeks, no response, so donated the 8k, cut up his cards and tossed the wallet

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It can work the other way too.

Twenty years ago in Pattaya I lost my mobile phone one afternoon. I got my Thai staff to call my number in the hope someone might answer it, which they did.

The person answering said they spotted the phone on the ground. They were willing to return it only if it was agreed the finder would receive 500 Baht. They were unaware of any ferang involvement.

I let my staff go and pick up the phone and pay the ransom.

Once again, we see Police in on the scam. How can anyone be safe when the authorities are so blatantly corrupt?

Trouble is it goes all the way to the very top. Thailand will always remain a 2.5th world country until it is stamped out.

• Like 1

One of the easiest ways to deal with the situation is to report it to Channel 3 Thailand. It'll be on the News at midday the next day, the scam will be revealed, and the Police will behave themselves. There's a Facebook page where you can upload the video. I can't remember its name. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sumlee said:

One of the easiest ways to deal with the situation is to report it to Channel 3 Thailand. It'll be on the News at midday the next day, the scam will be revealed, and the Police will behave themselves. There's a Facebook page where you can upload the video. I can't remember its name. 

I think that this is the website:
https://www.facebook.com/MorningNewsTV3

• Thanks 1

Don't touch lost wallet, purse or money. Just walk away. He should be glad the woman didn't say there were 2 million bath in the wallet.

22 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Since he hadn't yet handed it in, how did she know he had the wallet (watching?). Best never to touch it in the first place!

On 7/11/2022 at 11:41 AM, Davelee said:

There'd be no point in that, she'd just say he stole the money before handing it in, they've already made him pay without any evidence to the contrary seems no good deed goes unpunished, we live in a society where it doesn't pay to be honest sometimes.  

On 7/11/2022 at 11:58 AM, Mudshark said:

Definitely what I'd do now