First case of Beta variant reported in Bangkok

Thaiger

Bangkok has reported its first case of the Beta variant of Covid-19, originally detected in South Africa. According to a Bangkok Post report, the patient had contact with an infected person in the southern province of Narathiwat. Hundreds of cases of the Beta variant have already been reported in southern Thailand and are believed to have been imported from Malaysia. Supakit Sirilak from the Department of Medical Sciences is expected to host a press conference on the matter today. Yesterday, 11 new infection clusters were reported across 8 provinces, with places like construction camps, markets, and factories all coming in […]

The post First case of Beta variant reported in Bangkok appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

More proof - it is the illegal border crossings and imported cheap labour that is causing all the outbreaks.  As yee sow shall yee reap - Thailand is paying the price for allowing cheap foreign workers for decades - now they cant stop them or what they bring with them.  I fear this outbreak will spread all over Thailand and they will become like UK and USA was over a year ago when new infections were rampant.

4 hours ago, AussieBob said:

More proof - it is the illegal border crossings and imported cheap labour that is causing all the outbreaks.  As yee sow shall yee reap - Thailand is paying the price for allowing cheap foreign workers for decades - now they cant stop them or what they bring with them.  I fear this outbreak will spread all over Thailand and they will become like UK and USA was over a year ago when new infections were rampant.

You act as if catching covid is a really bad thing and  punishment. It’s sars virus, been out for decades. 70% of people who have the virus don’t even know they have it. Having Covid is not a sin and not a big deal. That’s the problem with reporting numbers without context. People assume if you get covid you die. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DontacoXII said:

You act as if catching covid is a really bad thing and  punishment. It’s sars virus, been out for decades. 70% of people who have the virus don’t even know they have it. Having Covid is not a sin and not a big deal. That’s the problem with reporting numbers without context. People assume if you get covid you die. 

It is a corova virus (from bats)  - like the SARs was - and MERs.   There have been lots of coronavirus that infected humans in the past ,that we started to identify in 1960s - Types 229E, NL63, OC43, HKU1 - but they caused very few problems to humans . Then SARS started in 2002 and was extremely deagly - killing about 12% of known patients - but it was easily 'cpntained' and not that infectious (like Ebola).  Then MERS came in 2012 and it killed about 35% of known infections. Both those corona viruses were deadly but not that infectiuous. But then Covid19 (Cov-SARS-2) started in 2019 and WHO/CDC thought it would be as deadly as SARS or MERS, but it was extremely contagious like the flu - pandemic srated.  Covid death rate is about 2.2% worldwide (seasonal flu is about 0.5%), but for over 80s it is more like 20+% and for those with underlying medical issues it is much higher.  The stats show that it is especially dangerous for over 70 males compared to all other age/sex demographics.  Over time the stats will reveal themselves fully, but I personally know 2 guys that caught it and ended up in ICU. m Like me they thought it was just a bad flu - they dont think that now and neither do I. Those guys were not fully recovered 3 months later - one of them is still a bit iffy over a year later. Without the social controls and lockdowns and now the vaccines, a lot more than the almost 4 million currently dead would have died.  Sure they got it wrong a lot, and they did a lot of stupid things worldwide, but clearly it could have been much much worse.  It aint Ebola, or SARS, or MERS, but IT IS A BIG DEAL. 

• Cool 2

3 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Don't be stupid nobody assumes that everyone dies, but a lot of sick people will take its toll on the Healthcare system even if most survives. 

And besides and more importantly as long case numbers are high, society will still be locked down in more or less rigorous ways, and do you really want that? I assume not. So let's try to not get it until more people are vaccinated.

Well, for sure your post is not a very encouraging start for a civil discussion and exchanging points of view when starting with 'Don't be stupid...'

18 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Well, for sure your post is not a very encouraging start for a civil discussion and exchanging points of view when starting with 'Don't be stupid...'

But, to be fair, Tjampman had been doing his best to remain civil and for some time, too, as I'd been observing.

You're right, though, BlueSphinx; those 3 words don't sound too friendly . . . normally!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AussieBob said:

More proof - it is the illegal border crossings and imported cheap labour that is causing all the outbreaks...

I'm with you in this point. Unfortunately the increasing numbers are a "homebrewed" issue and not regarding to any tourists or similar visitors.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DontacoXII said:

It’s sars virus, been out for decades

No it isn't.

4 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Don't be stupid nobody assumes that everyone dies, but a lot of sick people will take its toll on the Healthcare system even if most survives. 

I'm beginning to think that's asking the impossible, @Tjampman.

16 hours ago, DontacoXII said:

I’m waiting for the Omega variant so we can move on to the next virus. ??

Same virus, they'll just switch to Cyrillic.

• Haha 1