News Forum - Thai woman thought she had found true love. She ended up behind bars.

Thaiger

Fifty year old Chamanun Phetporee thought she had found the love of her life. A man claiming to be a doctor in Afghanistan messaged her on Linkedin in 2019, and sparks flew, at least for Chamanun. She and her new long-distance love, who called himself ‘Dr Andrew Chang’ began to message each other for hours every night. Little did Chamanun, a chief financial officer of a multinational company, know that she was about to fall victim to what some have called Thailand’s biggest romance scam. ‘Andy’ told Chamanun that he wanted to retire in Thailand after he finished his contract […]

The story Thai woman thought she had found true love. She ended up behind bars. as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Sickening to think these scammers are living the high life probably aware of the news she is in jail for 20 years. And she will literally reflect on being tricked every single day in prison.

Any amount of gullible doesn't deserve that. 

• Like 3

The BBC in the UK recently ran a series of programmes called @Dirty Rotten Scammers'. People are sucked in usually via social media sites such as Facebook and Whatsapp, predominantly from scammers in Nigeria and Ghana. It's big business costing billions.

9 hours ago, Scribble said:

Sickening to think these scammers are living the high life probably aware of the news she is in jail for 20 years. And she will literally reflect on being tricked every single day in prison.

Any amount of gullible doesn't deserve that. 

Gullible stopped after the deposit was paid, criminal started soon after. 

She does deserve her time in prison. 

Being in love doesn't give you carte blanche to commit massive fraud. 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Meaning ?

Probably:   Men incidences are way more higher but they don't get the same level of attention/publicity.

11 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

A vibrator with mutliple speeds would have been much cheaper.

or even the footlongs they sell at 7-11...

How naïve do you have to be to fall for something like this.  Similar to Farang going to Thailand thinking the bar girl is in love with them 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Gullible stopped after the deposit was paid, criminal started soon after. 

She does deserve her time in prison. 

Being in love doesn't give you carte blanche to commit massive fraud. 

Very true I always feel sorry for people who have been duped but these amounts of money and amount of transactions for someone she has never met is beyond stupid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Havana said:

The BBC in the UK recently ran a series of programmes called @Dirty Rotten Scammers'. People are sucked in usually via social media sites such as Facebook and Whatsapp, predominantly from scammers in Nigeria and Ghana. It's big business costing billions.

Sadly a growth industry and 'scam packs' are sold via the Dark Web for a few 100 USD.  It's not just African countries who get into the scamming but increasingly eastern European countries and even UK.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scribble said:

Very true I always feel sorry for people who have been duped but these amounts of money and amount of transactions for someone she has never met is beyond stupid.

Beyond stupid indeed. She was desperate. She had a wonky eye, was 50 years old and no prospects for finding someone. She got played. She broke the law repeatedly. And she played the sympathy card extremely well to “only” get 20 years. If it was my $250 million I would have cut her heart out. It wasn’t so she has my sympathy. 

D27E4217-1944-44C9-A0C7-07B06C503AE0.webp.f6964916be577a2a8840761237379c9c.webp

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-10/how-thailands-biggest-romance-scam-was-pulled-off/101213930

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Beyond stupid indeed. She was desperate. She had a wonky eye, was 50 years old and no prospects for finding someone. She got played. She broke the law repeatedly. And she played the sympathy card extremely well to “only” get 20 years. If it was my $250 million I would have cut her heart out. It wasn’t so she has my sympathy. 

D27E4217-1944-44C9-A0C7-07B06C503AE0.webp.f6964916be577a2a8840761237379c9c.webp

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-10/how-thailands-biggest-romance-scam-was-pulled-off/101213930

Love is blind

12 hours ago, Benroon said:

Meaning ?

He has maybe fallen for a bar girl in the past and that's why he is always so bitter on this forum about everything in Thailand lol

• Like 2

Over the next 3 months, Chamanun (a CFO at a multinational company) used fake invoices and false accounting entries to make 251 transfers to 112 bank accounts in 17 countries.

This wasn't a "romance" scam. Perhaps it started as one. But definitely didn't continue as one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Maybe too wobly like an old guys thing. I would gather a market hard thick cucumber would be the choice. Unbeleivable how this woman could be so 90% brain dead to fall for something like this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Maybe too wobly like an old guys thing. I would gather a market hard thick cucumber would be the choice. Unbeleivable how this woman could be so 90% brain dead to fall for something like this.

i have seen giant carrots at market  and only 12 baht!!!   dont have to worry about seeds!

1 hour ago, PapayaBokBok said:

i have seen giant carrots at market  and only 12 baht!!!   dont have to worry about seeds!

Yeah you got me there. Some of those carrots are a bit crooked that probably has a ribbed effect for the ladies. And I guess carrots traditionally last longer. 

On 7/10/2022 at 5:27 PM, PapayaBokBok said:

They bend in the middle, much like the 50+ letharios that lurk here (I'm told)

15 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

He has maybe fallen for a bar girl in the past and that's why he is always so bitter on this forum about everything in Thailand lol

I think you might be onto something!

18 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Sadly a growth industry and 'scam packs' are sold via the Dark Web for a few 100 USD.  It's not just African countries who get into the scamming but increasingly eastern European countries and even UK.

There are a few boiler room scammers acting out of Hua Hin - I've never been a grass but I detest people that willingly con people out of their hard earnt. So if you're reading this chaps, the net is closing ...... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...