News Forum - Extradition for Nigerian wanted for alleged murder of Thai woman on hold

Thaiger

A Nigerian man wanted for the murder of a Thai woman has been told he must remain in detention until Canada gets assurances from Thailand he won’t face the death penalty if extradited. The Nigerian, allegedly identified as John Odoemenam but using a fake South African passport with the name, Mzwakhe Memela, and also known as Prince Michael Obi, last month asked to be discharged from custody saying the government lacks “sufficient cause” required under the Extradition Act to keep him detained, but the British Columbia Supreme Court told him he had to stay put in North Fraser Pretrial Centre. […]

The story Extradition for Nigerian wanted for alleged murder of Thai woman on hold as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Nigerian, allegedly identified as [...]

What does "allegedly identified" mean?

The only thing that makes sense of that expression is if someone has made an identification but the speaker has no clue by whom and/or if that person/entity is in a rightful position to make such a claim -- and can't be bothered to find out.

If that's the case, no identification should be mentioned as it amounts to spreading hearsay (injecting "allegedly" doesn't take of the edge).

If, however, the speaker does know of an authoritative source to which the claim is attributable, that source could (and should) simply be mentioned (no need for sugarcoating).

Either way, "alleged" doesn't make sense.

PS: I'm mentioning this because it's just an example of a recurring phenomenon on Thaiger and elsewhere ("alleged suspect" popped up the other day... if the story teller cannot reliably back up something as trivial as that, the story shouldn't be told).

• Like 1

Canada is a joke, Trudeau will probably give this guy a pile of cash and a citizenship. He should be extradited back to Thailand to serve whatever justice Thailand feels is warranted.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, KFS said:

Canada is a joke, Trudeau will probably give this guy a pile of cash and a citizenship. He should be extradited back to Thailand to serve whatever justice Thailand feels is warranted.

And the death penalty isn't on the table, as long he is  confessing. So, Canada, what are you waiting for?

• Like 2

Probably also find if they investigate properly the SA Passport is a forgery

It is so corrupt in SA now that the Government printer prints "genuine" passports for the forgers and sells them in the thousands

Recently had thirty thousand sold to ne guy.

Send him to Thailand ,I would prefer he sits in a jail here than in a "luxury suite" in Canada

I was an investigator in SA and know what i am speaking about

• Like 2

So the guy used a fake passport, last one to be seen leaving a murder scene than left the country. The woman had valuables on her worth a lot of money she was going to give him or sell him? There’s enough probable cause for him to be tried and In my opinion possibly found guilty. Nothing good came from him fraudulently getting a passport to enter another country illegally. “Just do the right thing”, why is that such a hard thing to do. We all know the risks of committing a crime in another country and when a person takes it upon himself to do so and or is involved that person should realize that the crime is punishable by the country the crime was committed in by there laws. Now this guy is going to be held accountable, pay astronomical fines, go thru the court process and be judged for his actions 🤔 weather he did it or not. I understand Canada wants there laws applied to this case 🤔 but it didn’t happen in Canada.
Thank You

Marvin