News Forum - Hoteliers disagree with government dual pricing proposal | GMT

Thaiger

Hoteliers disagree with government dual pricing proposal. Thai tourist visa fees might be suspended until the end of 2022. Don’t answer calls starting with +697, it’s a scam. Thai man appeals to robbers to stop as he has nothing left. Thai health minister defends decision to decriminalise green. All this and more on today’s Good Morning Thailand.

The story Hoteliers disagree with government dual pricing proposal | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 2

Glad Hoteliers do not agree with discrimination  between Thai and Foreigner!

Being discriminated against is the worse scenario if you want invite guests into your home, does the guy who suggested it really think the tourist would accept it !, especially when we are surrounded by many other countries that do not discriminate against visitors.

• Like 2

I can’t help but feel the decision to legalise the green crop wasn’t just about money but was also to shore up support of the political party pushing it.

• Like 1

Are they going to suspend the fee on my retirement?  I guess the job of the Thailand government is to discourage any form of tourism.

7 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Hmm.... I wonder why they disagree 🤔🤔🤔

Because they don't need an official announcement, that is getting this practice officially known to the world.

The hotels can always find a reason, to lower prices for locals. If they want. Giving them 30% as "booking commission" is an easy one, no one can argue about that. That even happens, in case the Farang books and is paying the full price, just because the local person is telling "I brought them to you". Lots of TukTuk driver on Phuket trying that, which is the reason that they quickly jumping out of the Tuk Tuk (Minibus/car) and are at the reception before their customers! And in case with no pre booking via a booking site, it works. guess who is paying the difference?

• Like 2

at least someone honest in this country, will the government listen to it, NO they will try to INFORCE it, while it is none of their business

11 hours ago, Richard1944 said:

Glad Hoteliers do not agree with discrimination  between Thai and Foreigner!

Being discriminated against is the worse scenario if you want invite guests into your home, does the guy who suggested it really think the tourist would accept it !, especially when we are surrounded by many other countries that do not discriminate against visitors.

Holy shit, you aren't being discriminated against!!!

This forum is so absolutely absurd.....

They are giving discounts to residents, it happens all over the world

You guys are patently ridiculous

17 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Holy shit, you aren't being discriminated against!!!

This forum is so absolutely absurd.....

They are giving discounts to residents, it happens all over the world

You guys are patently ridiculous

Two-sided sword,  Marc. The way the government is announcing it, is not like it is or has to be done. And that is discriminating.

The way they communicated it is the discrimination! And , I agree with others here, this is because of the election. The people in power wanna stay in power, but don't wanna spend again billions. So they talk about discounts they wanna see, which the hotels give anyway (in case they want), to have that on there plus side: "Look, what we did get you ...."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Two-sided sword,  Marc. The way the government is announcing it, is not like it is or has to be done. And that is discriminating.

The way they communicated it is the discrimination! And , I agree with others here, this is because of the election. The people in power wanna stay in power, but don't wanna spend again billions. So they talk about discounts they wanna see, which the hotels give anyway (in case they want), to have that on there plus side: "Look, what we did get you ...."

Giving a discount to resident's is not discrimination in any way, shape or form

It is a discount to residents

And who cares if it is political, most things are

That's what politicians do all over the world

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Giving a discount to resident's is not discrimination in any way, shape or form

It is a discount to residents

And who cares if it is political, most things are

That's what politicians do all over the world

It is not the discount, it is this official announcement, that is racist!

4 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

It is not the discount, it is this official announcement, that is racist!

Discriminatory, not racist.

I can understand it to an extent at national parks, since the residents pay indirectly for the upkeep, but hotels?

38 minutes ago, astro said:

Discriminatory, not racist.

I can understand it to an extent at national parks, since the residents pay indirectly for the upkeep, but hotels?

I don't really think it is the tier pricing in general, but when you see the real tier pricing of 40 baht to 400 baht then this is just like being pis-ed and crap-d on. 40 baht to 100 baht I would not ever say anything to, but that is too much. I wouldn't even care so much if it was Thai Free and foreingers 50 - 75 baht. But 400 baht even 300 baht is taking it up the rear-end and saying thank you.

• Like 1

To those that don't understand what "discrimination" is...  the intended or accomplished differential treatment of persons or social groups... 

May I add at this point that not all discrimination is necessarily a bad thing... in the instance of charging "tourists" more money for certain things than citizens it is discriminatory but not "bad"... in fact it is a wise thing to do...

Tourists leave a different foot print than locals and do not share the burden of the infrastructure costs on an equal basis... therefore it is advisable to ask tourists to pay more.

It happens everywhere in the world... ie... Disney charges tourists more than locals for admission to their theme parks as well as staying in their hotels.

On 7/9/2022 at 5:55 PM, Skip said:

It happens everywhere in the world... ie... Disney charges tourists more than locals for admission to their theme parks as well as staying in their hotels.

Do you think that matters to these whiners on this forum?

All they want to do is whine, doesn't matter how many times you show they proof that residents get discounts all over the world

They just like to whine.................