News Forum - Thai health minister defends decision to decriminalise cannabis

Thaiger

The Thai Deputy PM and Minister of Public Health today defended his decision to legalise Cannabis. Anutin Charnvirakul, speaking at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand, was grilled by journalists about his decision to decriminalise the drug on June 6, and insisted it was the right decision. “Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 issue, the Cannabis Act could not be finished in parallel to the date that we freed cannabis from narcotics. I anticipate the next question from the public will be, ‘Why I didn’t wait until the law was imposed?’ No way. No, sir. I won’t wait. I will never […]

The story Thai health minister defends decision to decriminalise cannabis as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Personally I’m ambivalent on the pot issue. But it is odd that it’s easier to get pot between 2pm and 5pm than it is alcohol. 

Also you can’t legally order alcohol online because the government decided during the pandemic you had better go to the store to buy alcohol because … well they didn’t really have a reason to ban it they just did.  

And when it come to craft brewing Thailand continues to make it difficult for small producers but hey you can just grow marijuana at home instead.

why not just have a consistent approach rather than one that I’m sure is benefitting someone somewhere  

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai Deputy PM and Minister of Public Health today defended his decision to legalise Cannabis. Anutin Charnvirakul, speaking at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand, was grilled by journalists about his decision to decriminalise the drug on June 6, and insisted it was the right decision. “Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 issue, the Cannabis Act could not be finished in parallel to the date that we freed cannabis from narcotics. I anticipate the next question from the public will be, ‘Why I didn’t wait until the law was imposed?’ No way. No, sir. I won’t wait. I will never […]

The story Thai health minister defends decision to decriminalise cannabis as seen on Thaiger News.

In conclusion, they are clue what the heck is happening and are lost.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:36 PM, JJJ said:

Personally I’m ambivalent on the pot issue. But it is odd that it’s easier to get pot between 2pm and 5pm than it is alcohol. 

Maybe because alcohol causes more public mayhem than 420 does. Just saying

Ok. Now I must give A-nut a plus check. But for the sake of all, just really make it decriminalised instead of a charade. This guy reallyu plays the middle for love and hate him.

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Maybe because alcohol causes more public mayhem than 420 does. Just saying

Yeah that mayhem between 2pm and 5pm in Thailand really needs to be contained. 

13 hours ago, JJJ said:

Yeah that mayhem between 2pm and 5pm in Thailand really needs to be contained. 

Childish reply mate, you are just being factious now . It's the mayhem that the alcohol is the cause of loooong after the 2pm-5pm time slot that I was referring to.

If someone is that dependent on alcohol that they can't get past 3 hours without 'buying' it, then they seriously need to get their life sorted out because they have a problem.

Most people these days are aware of the 2pm-5pm alcohol rule and buy their (alcohol) supplies accordingly. 

3 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Childish reply mate, you are just being factious now . It's the mayhem that the alcohol is the cause of loooong after the 2pm-5pm time slot that I was referring to.

If someone is that dependent on alcohol that they can't get past 3 hours without 'buying' it, then they seriously need to get their life sorted out because they have a problem.

Most people these days are aware of the 2pm-5pm alcohol rule and buy their (alcohol) supplies accordingly. 

No I’m not being childish.

You claimed that the reason for alcohol controls—and by controls I referenced the afternoon time limit, ban on internet sales, and small producers—and you claimed it was due to “mayhem.” 

My response concisely slashed your argument by its own absurdity—mayhem between 2pm-5pm— and now you’re hurt and can just resort to name calling.   

I don’t mind debate—even snarky—but you decide to go personal. Sad. 

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Some farangs do work here in the kingdom thus like being able to drink on weekends when we want.  Go for a hike in the morning, or go out to a nice coffee shop in the mountains, or a nice motorcycle ride then stop for a late lunch after with a bottle of wine or margaritas.

It makes little sense to dis-allow alcohol between 2-5pm ...   Maybe you like to drink at home hiding out.

The Gov has made it clear that taking weed outside the country on airplanes is prohibited.

What about taking it with you when flying domestic?

The RTP did have dogs up on the BTS platforms prior to Covid.  Were these bomb-sniffing dogs or for drugs?