News Forum - Foreigners may have to pay more for hotels than Thais

Thaiger

I think the hoteliers would prefer the government shut up—as the hotels know to maximize their revenue best. 

hotels and airlines are excellent at price discrimination and trying to figure out who is price sensitive or not. Even farang locals have a good sense about getting a better deal—contacting hotels directly, coupons. This happens all the time.   

But None of these strategies are as stupid as saying “foreigners pay more.” Only government run “parks” are that arrogant.  

This is just another example why the Thai economy hasn’t rebounded at all like the rest of the world and region—because the “leaders” have no clue how to run a business.

I hope the Thai people get the chance for their voice to be heard soon.

If you’re a potential tourist, go to Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines. Don’t reward this inept junta government.  

• Like 2

"A government spokeswoman says that the proposal is “to maintain our standards of rates and services for foreign tourists, which affects the perception of country’s tourism brand”.

What the 'ell does that even mean!?  "Our" rates and services?  Is the government in the hotel business now? 

Government sets the tone for private business at a high level for social/national/cultural concerns.  Reaching this far down into the nit noi weeds to force hotel room rates based on nationality, is going way too far.  I can envision members of the big, international hotel brands sat in their conference rooms at an utter loss for words.

Saw other convoluted rational that this is an effort by government to help make up for the big losses endured by hotels during the pandemic.  Are they feeling guilty and now they want to 'help'?   Wringing hands and bemoaning past losses is an immature act by those unaccustomed to business, loss and gain.  You can't fill those ugly holes on the spread sheet retroactively.  They will always be there.

You have to look forward.  And work.  Rebuild by providing a good service and value for money.  Not some backward policy to screw the very customers you want to get back.  And worse, rub their noses in it by announcing all over the world on the internet, in advance.  Duh! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as i thought grease the Tourist now there returning to Thailand. You would have thought the Thai Tourism board would be bending over backward to get tourists back but no the only thing they're thinking of is how to squeeze more cash out of us, be another idea tomorrow and the next day. They just don't learne from past mistakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

But None of these strategies are as stupid as saying “foreigners pay more.” Only government run “parks” are that arrogant.  {snipped}

Of course ferangs have to pay more - they have larger shoes, are heavier, and therefore do more damage to the pathway.

Ferangs also have larger eyes, so will wear out the beauty spots faster by staring at them harder.

Am I in the running for the new head of TAT?

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, JanSiThep said:

And how to put this in practice? Dual booking sites? One for Thai nationals only run by the goverment

I can't understand, in case they really going for it, that they aren't using the Thai government website from the "hotel room stimulus" thing, some time ago. It can be done, without open racism!

Just let the hotels put offers out there, on an all thai website, where only thai id's and input in Thai language is accepted. Promotion for Thais in Thailand.

That could go under "helping the locals". Alone no comission charge (20-30%) makes a difference, so 50% prices are in real near 60+% prices, then. 

And hotels have two ways to sell, but don't get "officially allowed", to discriminate people by "race".

Now this offences , even after booked as/from a Thai, "oh, you are with farang, you have to pay farang price" will assumingly happen a lot. Racism, pushed by government.

Aside, I am pretty certain that this idea comes from some politicians with ties to hotel business. It is not targeting the guest houses, the lower price end of the hotel industry, it is targeting the bigger hotels, which wanna charge more, but on the other hand wanna have more bookings, as the foreign tourist can deliver, right now. So two prices is the only way.

But this way is plain stupid! Imho.

• Like 1

Again, they are shooting themselves in the foot and keeping the Golden Goose in a terminal state of health. Blundering seems to be what they do best. 

Why not let the market dictate pricing based on supply and demand? Too complex a concept?

Thailand is not Monaco. Will they ever understand that? 

Edited by dmacarelli
  • Like 1

I think they think that all other nationalities in the world are not also effected by covid like they have brutally damaged here and the people. So whom are they trying to recover money for? Certainly not the average Thai. Let them eat cake but only in expensive accomodations where racism is pushed and mandated.

First they tell us in a Pandemic the tourists are dirty & don’t shower!

Something we will never forget!

And now this ?

These would have to be the dumbest people I have ever seen!

They want tourists?

Yet they keep kicking them in the guts!

I see people Boycotting Thailand in regards to the latest move!

Whoever is in charge of Tourism needs to go!

Also not transparent about Tsunamis last week!

This is total Racism & an insult!

How would Thai Government officials like going to America or England & told they have to pay more for their Hotel room because you are Thai?

And also hearing that Thai Health Minister believes Tourists are dirty and don’t shower !

what message is he sending to people coming?

If you go into Phuket and Patong you also see Police targeting foreigners for not wearing helmets ?

And mot having the right licence for a Moto cycle?

But they never fine Locals for the same thing?

How many times do you see people in the back of pickups not wearing seat belts !

Yet they will fine a tourist for not wearing a seat belt inside a car?

Just no sense to target the very people you want to visit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

These kind of proposed  policies will not see the light of day in the real world.

When guest house owners and small independent 3* hotels try it, people with any savy, will just go somewhere else, to do a deal, quite likely as close as next door. 

Tourists need to stop being pussies, take advantage of the fact these people are skint and on the bones of their arse, because they will do it to you.

When you find a place or people being fair with you, be fair with them.

MONEY TALKS, we have it and they want it.

Don't con yourself with the mindset of: Well I'd pay this back home. You're in a third world country, only pay third world prices! Why travel half way round the world to pay the same or more, than you would back home?

WAKE UP!

But they do!

https://www.google.com/search?q=resident+rates+hotels&rlz=1C1GCEJ_enCA874CA874&oq=resident+discount+hot&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30i457j0i22i30l5j0i15i22i30j0i22i30l2.11447j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This was like heroin for this forum 5555

They worded it badly, but it seems this is just an extension of the discount program they have had for Thais the last 2 years

I used this for 20 nights in May/June with my stepson and wife, saved me a ton of money

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tat-to-propose-extending-phase-4-of-we-travel-together-tourism-program/

• Like 2

Any booking site trying to use xenophobic pricing will like get banned from European and international platforms  

foreign visitors need to start protesting with their feet heard Vietnam is nice this time of year

10 minutes ago, Pj229 said:

Any booking site trying to use xenophobic pricing will like get banned from European and international platforms  

foreign visitors need to start protesting with their feet heard Vietnam is nice this time of year

Are you people that daft or never traveled before?

Any time there is a discount, you would have to book directly with the hotel

6 hours ago, JJJ said:

I think the hoteliers would prefer the government shut up—as the hotels know to maximize their revenue best. 

hotels and airlines are excellent at price discrimination and trying to figure out who is price sensitive or not. Even farang locals have a good sense about getting a better deal—contacting hotels directly, coupons. This happens all the time.   

But None of these strategies are as stupid as saying “foreigners pay more.” Only government run “parks” are that arrogant.  

This is just another example why the Thai economy hasn’t rebounded at all like the rest of the world and region—because the “leaders” have no clue how to run a business.

I hope the Thai people get the chance for their voice to be heard soon.

If you’re a potential tourist, go to Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines. Don’t reward this inept junta government.  

You talk about stupid and I am not calling you stupid, but this post makes zero sense

Why would hotels be against the government subsidizing bookings? They are getting more bookings and getting paid the full rate.............

Unlike most on here, I actually travelled to Thailand recently and used the discount program

And the hotels were full with Thais using their hotel discounts. That is called increased business.

I know you guys love to get outraged without actually reading into the source.

It's a travel discount for locals, foreigners are paying the regular rate, not "more"

• Angry 1

10 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

, I actually travelled to Thailand recently and used the discount program

And the hotels were full with Thais using their hotel discounts. That is called increased business.

That was a "government pays half" program.

THIS reads like the hotels should give discounts to locals, NOT filled up to 100% by the government programs. It is the way out of these discount programs, methinks,  but still giving advantage to local tourists. In case the hotel is offering 50/60/70%  prices for Thai

(70% is not really a  loss, if booked directly with the hotel, no commission for a bookers.)

That is the reason,  why I am questioning the "wording", not really the double pricing, here. 

It could be a "Thais help Thais" program, most people (foreigner) would be ok with that. Like with the government promotions, paying up2 50% for food/rooms or travel in the past. In special, if they (foreigner) can participate, as long a Thai is booking!

Just with this announcement it is open the door of racism/discrimination bey nationality. AGAIN and even more official, as the national park pricing is doing that for decades.

And the "you come with foreigner, you have to pay foreigner price"  will become more usual. 

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well, they might as well add on another tax to the airfares and then why stop there and so why don't they add on to have double pricing for foreingers who shop at supermarkets and the hypermarkets. Register will have two sequences, one for foreinger and one for a Thai.

Better yet, also charge foreingers to get into malls and the chain restaurants as we take up space and it must be paid for becasue if not we are lowering their hi-so standards according to these officials.

Oh, don't forget about automobile insurance and the petrol gas pumps and the schools that we send our 1/2 Thai half and half other nationality children to as well. How about charge the Thai wife for marrying a foreinger yearly tax, sort of like a - you have to pay for lowering your coveted Thai status to that of disgracing yourself of beign with a foreinger. Never mind the foreing women married to Thais as they are women and the Thai man sort of owns them. But the foreingers who are here with their foreing girlfriends or wives, they must be charged triple. 

How about a foreinger yearly or weekly or mointhly air tax?

Shhhhhh.. don't give them idea's.   They do enough dumb sh!t on their own without any help from us.    🙃

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

That was a "government pays half" program.

THIS reads like the hotels should give discounts to locals, NOT filled up to 100% by the government programs. It is the way out of these discount programs, methinks,  but still giving advantage to local tourists. In case the hotel is offering 50/60/70%  prices for Thai

(70% is not really a  loss, if booked directly with the hotel, no commission for a bookers.)

That is the reason,  why I am questioning the "wording", not really the double pricing, here. 

It could be a "Thais help Thais" program, most people (foreigner) would be ok with that. Like with the government promotions, paying up2 50% for food/rooms or travel in the past. In special, if they (foreigner) can participate, as long a Thai is booking!

Just with this announcement it is open the door of racism/discrimination bey nationality. AGAIN and even more official, as the national park pricing is doing that for decades.

And the "you come with foreigner, you have to pay foreigner price"  will become more usual. 

Yes I think it was a badly worded release but it amounts to a Thai discount, whether govt subsidized or not

And by my experience with over 10 hotels, I highly doubt the "internet folklore" of "you come with foreigner, you have to pay foreigner price" will transpire

Maybe if people stay at shitty hotels................

47 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Shhhhhh.. don't give them idea's.   They do enough dumb sh!t on their own without any help from us.    🙃

God I hope I’m not assimilating into a mode of Thai government numksull thinking. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Grant said:

First they tell us in a Pandemic the tourists are dirty & don’t shower!

Something we will never forget!

And now this ?

These would have to be the dumbest people I have ever seen!

They want tourists?

Yet they keep kicking them in the guts!

I see people Boycotting Thailand in regards to the latest move!

Whoever is in charge of Tourism needs to go!

Also not transparent about Tsunamis last week!

This is total Racism & an insult!

How would Thai Government officials like going to America or England & told they have to pay more for their Hotel room because you are Thai?

And also hearing that Thai Health Minister believes Tourists are dirty and don’t shower !

what message is he sending to people coming?

If you go into Phuket and Patong you also see Police targeting foreigners for not wearing helmets ?

And mot having the right licence for a Moto cycle?

But they never fine Locals for the same thing?

How many times do you see people in the back of pickups not wearing seat belts !

Yet they will fine a tourist for not wearing a seat belt inside a car?

Just no sense to target the very people you want to visit!

There's no point pulling School kids on their Bikes they won't be able to pay an on-the-spot fine, Farangs are different were all well off and your average traffic cop gets paid monthly so towards the end of the Month when there a bit short they will pull a few tourists to get them through to payday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, vlad said:

There's no point pulling School kids on their Bikes they won't be able to pay an on-the-spot fine, Farangs are different were all well off and your average traffic cop gets paid monthly so towards the end of the Month when there a bit short they will pull a few tourists to get them through to payday. 

I as just down in Phuket. Me and my daughter on one bike and my son on another. We saw the check point at night on a Main Street. Yes they had a lot of foreigners, but not us. We are licensed and all wearing our helmets. Only other time was a Middle  Easterner in the daytime who got stopped with no helmet. Big deal, pay the small fine and be on your way as I see it. Just remember to not go the same way next time. 

19 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I as just down in Phuket. Me and my daughter on one bike and my son on another. We saw the check point at night on a Main Street. Yes they had a lot of foreigners, but not us. We are licensed and all wearing our helmets. Only other time was a Middle  Easterner in the daytime who got stopped with no helmet. Big deal, pay the small fine and be on your way as I see it. Just remember to not go the same way next time. 

In Chiang Mai we went through a check point

My stepson and his gf on the bike ahead of me

Cop stopped him, my stepson just pointed to me and said he was with his Dad and they waved us through

I think they didn't want to deal with a farang..............

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

In Chiang Mai we went through a check point

My stepson and his gf on the bike ahead of me

Cop stopped him, my stepson just pointed to me and said he was with his Dad and they waved us through

I think they didn't want to deal with a farang..............

When I'm in Thailand I always use my Go Pro either on my helmet or somewhere easily visible, amazingly I have never been pulled.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scribble said:

Or can we show our visas like we can at national parks and get the Thai rate (depending who's on the till that day).

what visa are you showing to get a Thai entry price, and at what attractions