News Forum - Thai government plans Foreigner dual pricing for hotel rooms | GMT

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Jayce said:

Oh she'd be there with me as well of course ;) I wonder how they would react cause technically she has booked it and she's Thai.

Even better if they force Airbnb to follow suit and implement a two tier pricing system or any other villa rental site for that matter. With a hotel, each guest typically has to present their passport, not so with Airbnb. When you rent a villa, you can just book it for one person even though it has capacity for a lot more people. Price is usually the same regardless if you stay in the villa with one or with 3 people so the owner or custodian (or whatever you call the person who takes care of that propoerty for the owner) doesn't care. The first person checks in, waits for the custodian to leave and you come in a little while later. No fuss, no stress and lower prices :D

More than one way to skin a bird. Not yours of course. 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jayce said:

Oh she'd be there with me as well of course ;) I wonder how they would react cause technically she has booked it and she's Thai.

Why would they have any reaction?

She booked a room, that is all that is needed

I think you are way overthinking this.............

We did this in May/June for 20 nights

I even did most of the booking by my email, telling the hotel I was booking the room for my stepson or my wife with me as the guest

Provided the hotel with their info, then we would check in together. Giving them my passport and and my son/wife's..................

They had zero issue

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

There is more to it than simple as residents get discounts. Totally money gouging the people who keep part of this county alive. Could it be higher hotel costs and higher tax they get for their coffers? Could it be Anutin is trying his best to put his 2 satang in to reach the we only want foreigners with money? i would like to think it as you say but truth of the matter is I don’t like the tone they are once again throwing out to gouge foreigners. 
I have the feeling that if they could put us in zoos and then make us pay for it then these upooty bozos would. 

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I even did most of the booking by my email, telling the hotel I was booking the room for my stepson or my wife with me as the guest

Provided the hotel with their info, then we would check in together. Giving them my passport and and my son/wife's..................

They had zero issue

My recent trip with my two just adult kids I had my daughter and son give them their id’s for the two rooms. They really didn’t think twice of it most every time. 

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

There is more to it than simple as residents get discounts. Totally money gouging the people who keep part of this county alive. Could it be higher hotel costs and higher tax they get for their coffers? Could it be Anutin is trying his best to put his 2 satang in to reach the we only want foreigners with money? i would like to think it as you say but truth of the matter is I don’t like the tone they are once again throwing out to gouge foreigners. 
I have the feeling that if they could put us in zoos and then make us pay for it then these upooty bozos would. 

But it literally is as simple as residents/citizens getting discounts.........

Just as they have been for the last 2 years

Worded horribly, but it is literally a resident/citizen discount

What I don't get, is most guys on here are with a TG, yet they are complaining they will get discounts!

That makes zero sense to me

As I said above, we used it for 20 nights and saved 50-60k baht

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But it literally is as simple as residents/citizens getting discounts.........

Just as they have been for the last 2 years

Worded horribly, but it is literally a resident/citizen discount

What I don't get, is most guys on here are with a TG, yet they are complaining they will get discounts!

That makes zero sense to me

As I said above, we used it for 20 nights and saved 50-60k baht

That’s some good savings there.
Yah, I had my daughter book 1/2 of ours online and I did the rest. 7 days.  Saved a bunch of dough and even got 2 Novotel resort rooms in Kata (wonderful) for 850 baht. But you have to search and look again as the prices float in and out. I don’t  think Agoda will play the two tier game. 

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

That’s some good savings there.
Yah, I had my daughter book 1/2 of ours online and I did the rest. 7 days.  Saved a bunch of dough and even got 2 Novotel resort rooms in Kata (wonderful) for 850 baht. But you have to search and look again as the prices float in and out. I don’t  think Agoda will play the two tier game. 

There really is no 2 tier game for Agoda to play

Any discount will need to be done directly with the hotel, as you did

We used the Travel program for most bookings

But 2 stood out

Avani+ Khao Lak

Thai resident rate, pay 1 night, get 1 night free

Plus 1800 baht credit per night(3600 total) and 25% of dining/drinks and 800 baht each off spa

https://www.avanihotels.com/en/khao-lak-phang-nga

Kamala Suites

We got the 40% Thai resident discount, plus the same resort credit daily as what we paid for the room!

Instead of freaking out, people should use it to their advantage

15 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I don't think there's any law in Thailand to prevent racism.

Lol, I'm considering bringing a page of the Thai constitution on my holidays which says that it's not allowed to discriminate on anything like sex, race, status etc. I remember I printed it once but forget which page it was. 

• Like 1

Pure RACISM.   Any dual pricing, even for a visit to the zoo, the Thai government blaming  DIRTY “FARANG” for spreading Covid, when masks and lock downs , oh and even vaccines , have proven NOT to work, now hotels??   Thailand, the Asian apartheid.

30 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Lol, I'm considering bringing a page of the Thai constitution on my holidays which says that it's not allowed to discriminate on anything like sex, race, status etc. I remember I printed it once but forget which page it was. 

Interesting. When did that make its first entry into the constitution, do you know?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

I remember I printed it once but forget which page it was. 

Probably the third sheet on the toilet paper roll. 

• Haha 2

If not announced, most tourist don't even know they are charged a different price for hotels in Thailand.

There are better places in this planet that treat all humans more equally. 

Spread the word...

17 hours ago, Venusianhart said:

Propose every country charge Thai hi-so a "special" price. Even China don't carry on like this.

Hopefully this is another hare brained scheme that won't go anywhere.

Are you sure about that?

There are hotels, in china, with no permission to rent rooms to non chinese people.

"Chinese only" hotels, and they are often cheap.

;-)

3 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Interesting. When did that make its first entry into the constitution, do you know?

Not sure about that but I'll give you a quote and a link. 

Part 2

Equality

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thai-law-translations-constitution-of-thailand.html

You can easily find the Thai constitution in Thai and English anywhere online. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fanta said:

Probably the third sheet on the toilet paper roll. 

I posted a link and the text just ago. 😂 It's actually there and they are not following their own constitution. 

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Not sure about that but I'll give you a quote and a link. 

Part 2

Equality

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thai-law-translations-constitution-of-thailand.html

You can easily find the Thai constitution in Thai and English anywhere online. 

Thanks for posting the details.
It's news to me there's anything saying that everyone has to be treated equally.

It's a great 'idea', but sadly I think the reality is different. Especially as a government department it trying to defy the constitution regarding hotel pricing (and national park charges have been dual-priced for decades).

I suppose though if the government ever got caught short, they can just write another constitution to suit themselves.
Thailand must have had nearly a dozen so far, surely?

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

Thanks for posting the details.
It's news to me there's anything saying that everyone has to be treated equally.

It's a great 'idea', but sadly I think the reality is different. Especially as a government department it trying to defy the constitution regarding hotel pricing (and national park charges have been dual-priced for decades).

I suppose though if the government ever got caught short, they can just write another constitution to suit themselves.
Thailand must have had nearly a dozen so far, surely?

With the current people, you can expect something like that yeah. 

The crazy part is that nobody seems to know about this part of the constitution and neither the foreigners with a big voice nor anyone in the government seems to question them about this. 

It would be great if there's a press conference and someone would just put them on the spot holding that page and quoting from it, followed up by asking the question... So how are you going to still continue dual pricing for national parks and now hotels? If at a market someone does this, well, ok. But as government they should be an example for the people. They migh as well just remove that section of the constitution if they are not following it anyway 😂

I guess when you do the above, you'll be charged with defaming the person in the end... 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marc26 said:

They had zero issue

I'm not saying they would have issues now or in the past. My comment should be read in the context of the article.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:03 AM, BIGGLES said:

LMFAO!

Travel Republic are advertising today for example accomodation in Phuket as follows:

Coconut Village £7pppn (300 thb)

Orchid Resort in Kalim £8pppn.

Both these hotels are more than nice for 3* accomodation, I've used both.

Contact the hotel direct by email, can do even better for longer stays.

I'm reminded of what my grandfather told me.

FOOLS AND THEIR MONEY ARE EASILY PARTED!

Wholly agree, I book directly with Hotels who offer discounts of 20-25% discount for 'returning guest' status. The flights I leave to my Travel Consultant, she does all the spade work.

As you say, 'Fools and their money' etc

There appear to be ways around the Agoda-style booking price contracts the agencies have with hotels such as Havana mentions above.  I came across a 'Thai Resident' special yesterday with substantial savings provided one has a Thai partner/ID card/work permit.

Interested to hear anyone with direct knowledge of the Agoda-style contracts.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again government shoots theme self in the foot again!!!

Maybe other countries around the world should practice dual pricing for Thais???

With the current price of airline tickets, travel is going to be limited.  Add to it higher prices for hotels and tourists looking at alternatives will choose both destinations that are less expensive to fly to and who offer lower hotel rates. 

This is the government "helping" the tourist industry into bankruptcy.  Fewer tourists does not just hurt the hotels, it hurts all the tourist industry.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:53 PM, Bluesofa said:

I don't think there's any law in Thailand to prevent racism.

Correct that is why the government are the biggest once and influence the Thai people that it is alright to do so

Stupid government with 99% stupid ideas... and blaming other people about giving thailand a bad name while they do it themselves on daily bases

Edited by ronnie666
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fortuner said:

Here we go again government shoots theme self in the foot again!!!

Maybe other countries around the world should practice dual pricing for Thais???

They do

There is proof posted in this thread of hotels giving citizens discounts

Which is what this is

But hey, why let facts get in the way on this wonderful forum