News Forum - Thailand or Cambodia? Comparing 10 year visa programmes

Thaiger

Cambodia has launched a “My 2nd Home” programme to encourage foreign investment in the country. The programme features a 10 year long “Golden Visa” with unlimited entry and exit and other benefits. But how does it compare with Thailand’s 10 year Long Term Resident visa? Applicants for the “My 2nd Home” Golden Visa must be a foreign investor with an investment capital of no less than US$100,000 in Cambodia, own a “real estate project” in Cambodia and be a citizen of a country recognised by the Cambodian government. No academic qualifications or language proficiency are required. There is no application […]

The story Thailand or Cambodia? Comparing 10 year visa programmes as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Cambodian  10 year  My 2nd Home visa has not so many strings attached and some real plusses compaired to  the Thai 10 year  Elite visa, that only costs lots of money and has no real benefits, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Looks like rhe cambodian visa is more of a retirement thingy. Whereas the thai visa allows you to work too. If you match the rather weird and arbitrary qualifications that is 

Apart from that, I wont spend 100k just to obtain a 10 year visa. Not in Cambodia, not in Thailand.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Looks like rhe cambodian visa is more of a retirement thingy. Whereas the thai visa allows you to work too. If you match the rather weird and arbitrary qualifications that is 

Apart from that, I wont spend 100k just to obtain a 10 year visa. Not in Cambodia, not in Thailand.

Seems that Thailand does  _not_  require you to spend your money - just a proof that you have the money. Anywhere.

4 hours ago, Cabra said:

If you want my $100k USD you are going to have to give me more than just 10 years. 20 years minimum. 

Finally, something we can agree on!

• Cool 1

13 hours ago, MelBurn said:

Seems that Thailand does  _not_  require you to spend your money - just a proof that you have the money. Anywhere.

Yep, I missed that. So 100k in a foreign bank, that's nice.

But the 84k annual income might be a bigger hurdle. Most retiree's wont get that much. Even if you are still working that is quite an income. In most European countries you will be in the top 5% with such an income.

Edit: 80k not 84k

Edited by Janneman

13 hours ago, MelBurn said:

Which Thai visa type is that? Can you point me to the relevant details or web site please?

I think the Cambodia program allows a foreigner to have a Cambodian Passport after only 5 years stay.

Haven for criminals who want a different passport?

On 7/7/2022 at 3:47 AM, Janneman said:

In most European countries you will be in the top 5% with such an income.

Edit: 80k not 84k

Pnut dreams of these people queing to come here and spend their money.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:50 PM, Janneman said:

Option to apply for citizenship after 5 years. 

Very attractive to many, and cheap too. 

Cyprus used to be about 250k I think. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 1:50 AM, Faz said:

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at the Thai Embassy visa site in the UK but the LTR visa is not being listed as a possible visa yet, then I read in the article on thethaiger this will become law after 90 days, is that still the case?

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at the Thai Embassy visa site in the UK but the LTR visa is not being listed as a possible visa yet, then I read in the article on thethaiger this will become law after 90 days, is that still the case?

Yes, 90 days after it's posted in the Royal Gazette.

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks for your reply.

https://www.boi.go.th/upload/content/LTR.pdf

BOI says open for applications 1st September. They are the agency responsible for them.