News Forum - Andaman Sea tremors draw attention to the lack of tsunami warning buoys

Thaiger

A series of minor tremors in the regions off Thailand’s Andaman coastline is drawing attention to the lack of operational tsunami buoys in the Andaman Sea. There’s been a number of small earthquakes and tremors near the Nicobar Islands, about 540 kilometres northwest of Phuket in the Andaman Sea. A series of three underwater tremors, between magnitude 4.6 and 5.0 were detected between midday and 3pm on Monday, July 4. There has since been another 4 similar sized quakes in the same region in the Indian Ocean, near the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The three underwater tremors follow a similar […]

The story Andaman Sea tremors draw attention to the lack of tsunami warning buoys as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 1

I would have thought after the big Tsunami that hit Thailand not so many years back should be a concern in case of potential future events, the warning buoy's are the life savers and should be serviced regularly,. Better safe than sorry !! 

Edited by Richard1944

I'm convinced that humans only learn their lesson when they get something right, as opposed to when they get it wrong, otherwise why on earth these bouys don't work is beyond all rational explanation. And you know what they say about earthquakes... "we're just waiting for the next one" (and the resulting tsunami). Get prepared or prepare to die, I suppose. 

• Like 1

Well if your soaking up the Rays on Patong Beach slip your Nike trainers on and head for Patong Hill if the Tide suddenly goes out.

Somewhere around ten or fifteen years ago there was a report about one of the buoys not working as the batteries had failed.
I remember making a comment at the time suggesting one of the maintenance staff were probably going to the 7 Eleven to buy a new pack of AA batteries.

2 hours ago, vlad said:

Well if your soaking up the Rays on Patong Beach slip your Nike trainers on and head for Patong Hill if the Tide suddenly goes out.

Or if you see the animals suddenly and unexpectedly running away from the sea. 

8 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Or if you see the animals suddenly and unexpectedly running away from the sea

Flying fish are one thing but 'running fish' .... that I'd like to see 🤣

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Surely that's just evolution?

6 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Sea creatures emerging from the sea to walk the land is a much slower evolutionary process 😉 not a great tsunami indicator.

• Haha 1

Just look at any apartment building, They dont fix or maintain anything until it falls off, thats their mai pben rai philosophy. no doubt there will be a full review after another blah blah people die the next time 

• Like 1