News Forum - “Thailand should be a luxury and premier holiday destination” – Deputy PM

Thaiger

19 hours ago, Pompies said:

The man knows nothing about running a business, and his family construction empire delivered a shoddy and inferior parliament building that was years late and wildly over budget. To think that a country based on trawling the lowest depths for decades can suddenly switch to a premium model is simply delusional. There are no educated, linguistically capable people to deliver a premium service thanks to a third world education system where teacher promotion is based on bribery. There are not the facilities to offer premium experiences except for a few BKK shopping malls. There is not a premium international airline to act as an ambassador for Thailand, and there is no domestic transport system to deliver a speedy premium service. Anutin can mouth off all he likes but he doesn't know what he is talking about. Louis Vuitton has spent over a century delivering outstanding product quality, a truly premium shopping experience and a promotional capability that maintains the brand image. Anutin himself promotes a scruffy, ignorant image of Thailand and needs to grow up and understand what is possible I stead of uttering nonsensical dreams. Dirty farangs have seen what he is really like already.

Totally correct....good post!

Another good post which kinda sums things up was from another forum.

This is the dumbass kind of comment you'd expect from him, and a typical Thailand reaction - business is way down so hike the prices.

Louis Vuitton would be compared to Monaco in terms of locations - which Thailand definitely ain't, its closer to Primark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pompies said:

There are no educated, linguistically capable people to deliver a premium service thanks to a third world education system where teacher promotion is based on bribery. {snipped}

While I'm not surprised at your comment about promotion and bribery within the education system, it's not only that.
A lot of the teachers are poorly educated themselves and are often only a couple of steps ahead of the children they are allegedly educating.
Hence the one of the reasons for the resistance to allow kids to ask questions. It can show up the teacher's lack of knowledge, as I know from experience.

• Like 3

More of the same. Thailand constantly thinks it can become a premium destination by just wishing it so. But there isn't the investment in infrastructure and social policy necessary to actually support that. Not to mention the last two years have seen how Thailand fares with no tourists. Why would you now be looking down your nose at the few starting to come back?

Thailand - and especially the Thai people - need a range of tourist types. Wealthy tourists won't fill 150 baht foot massage shops and street food stalls, they won't take up the cheap day trips and buy amulets at the markets. Backpackers, business travellers, middle aged families, grey nomads, and even the sex tourists. They all bring money in and support businesses that have been hurting, and that will not recover because a few millionaires come and stay at five star spa resorts.

All this is not to mention that many of the people coming as one tourist type often return as another. Lots of people talk about their first trips as poor backpackers and now come back as upper middle class tourists with high disposable incomes.

Imagine if the Thai tourist association spent as much time and effort making sure everyone returns as they did trying to act like Thailand is one advertising campaign away from being the Côte d’Azur. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MattBurgess said:

More of the same. Thailand constantly thinks it can become a premium destination by just wishing it so. But there isn't the investment in infrastructure and social policy necessary to actually support that. Not to mention the last two years have seen how Thailand fares with no tourists. Why would you now be looking down your nose at the few starting to come back?

Thailand - and especially the Thai people - need a range of tourist types. Wealthy tourists won't fill 150 baht foot massage shops and street food stalls, they won't take up the cheap day trips and buy amulets at the markets. Backpackers, business travellers, middle aged families, grey nomads, and even the sex tourists. They all bring money in and support businesses that have been hurting, and that will not recover because a few millionaires come and stay at five star spa resorts.

All this is not to mention that many of the people coming as one tourist type often return as another. Lots of people talk about their first trips as poor backpackers and now come back as upper middle class tourists with high disposable incomes.

Imagine if the Thai tourist association spent as much time and effort making sure everyone returns as they did trying to act like Thailand is one advertising campaign away from being the Côte d’Azur. 

That was a very intelligent post! Very spot on

• Like 1

What those running Thailand don't seem to understand is that countries that can charge "premium" prices have, for the most part, gotten rid of rampant corruption. No law in Thailand can not be worked around with the proper "donation". In all aspects of society, this prevents a place from becoming a "premium" destination.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stevenkongju said:

What those running Thailand don't seem to understand is that countries that can charge "premium" prices have, for the most part, gotten rid of rampant corruption.

Remember we already have 'premium' pricing here - i.e. two-level entry pricing at tourist attractions, including those run by the government.
Or is that 'rampant racism', rather than 'rampant corruption'?

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

LOL 😂 Premier Vacation Location…?!!

Yes, there are some stunning, isolated, all inclusive, resorts…

But honestly, in general, look at Thai streets, sidewalks, the eye-sore of cables/wires everywhere, the ever present scams, two-priced tiers, AQI… It’s all in the eye of the beholder...

The vast majority of Thai’s are dependent on ALL TOURISTS, not just the elite…

If you want to decimate the Thai economy further, then by all means, do what you please… But if you are serious, significantly major infrastructure improvements need to be implemented, throughout the entire Kingdom, not just talked about...

Most, I dare say, come to Thailand, for the vast majority, due to it being an economically viable holiday destination, but when factoring in recent increases in (fuel) travel costs, the ensuing chaos of just attempting to get here, coupled with the persistence of seemingly endless threats, mutations of COVID… all that enticement dissipates, taking its toll…

Personally I like Thailand and other South East Asian countries just the way they are.

They are busy, rustic, over the top and extremely entertaining. I thoroughly enjoy the excitement of everything going on around me.

Most people are very friendly and the women are beautiful. I can sit and people watch for hours.

These countries are also generally economically viable so I can afford to visit multiple times every year.

I have no interest in staying in a country that offers only a luxury experience as I would find that extremely boring.

I agree with everyone else that Thailand is not in a position to instantly transition into a luxury destination and I hope it never does. 

• Like 4

On 7/7/2022 at 7:18 AM, Bluesofa said:

Remember we already have 'premium' pricing here - i.e. two-level entry pricing at tourist attractions, including those run by the government.
Or is that 'rampant racism', rather than 'rampant corruption'?

Just controlling the 'filthy farangs' and lining the proper pockets at the same time

On 7/6/2022 at 4:17 AM, vlad said:

They just can't stop shooting themselves in the foot.

Especially when you have a racist village idiot like Anutin shooting from the mouth

On 7/5/2022 at 11:55 AM, Pompies said:

Anutin himself promotes a scruffy, ignorant image of Thailand and needs to grow up and understand what is possible I stead of uttering nonsensical dreams. Dirty farangs have seen what he is really like already.

If there ever was a reason to get rid of anyone supposedly looking after their country, Anutins continued know-nothings hit the mark. The pre-plandemic [sic] desire to generate templebtourist instead of pleasure vacations was the first nail in the coffin. Visitors already come for that. Now this fool wants to pad the bill with a false economy that has no support structure? Perhaps he needs to drag himself out of his glory hole and go live in France? Thailand would be better off.

On 7/6/2022 at 6:06 PM, MattBurgess said:

Wealthy tourists won't fill 150 baht foot massage shops and street food stalls, they won't take up the cheap day trips and buy amulets at the markets.. 

As well as being a racist, the village idiot is exposing his snobbery. He sees himself as above the pale and the lowly the spend money in HIS country are beneath his station in life, not worthy of consideration.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, Tea said:

Yesterday they were saying that supply issues, inflation and fuel prices were hurting the restart of tourism. Today it's sell Louis Vitton and they will come. 

Not 'they', 'he'.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:40 PM, HolyCowCm said:

He had a dream about a new movie, and it was called- Anna and the Anutin.

And Anutin being the kee role... um... that should be 'key' role :)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Viggen8408 said:

And Anutin being the kee role... um... that should be 'key' role :)

Or one could say as the old US saying goes: He doesn't know sxxt from Shinola.

5 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Being a Brit, I had to look up Shinola. They originally made shoe polish:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinola_(retail_company) 

That is why I mentioned the US so everyone if did not know knew to look it up. 

You have to say it is pretty fitting for him A-nut though. 

Any UK saying that is of the same nature? Just asking for a friend. : ) 

On 7/5/2022 at 3:51 PM, Pinetree said:

along with other none Islamic practices like beer and whisky.  

... not to mention perving on the scantily-clad farang on the beaches and the bar girls, of course (as well as a surreptitious feed of pork)

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 12:59 AM, Mazz11 said:

Personally I like Thailand and other South East Asian countries just the way they are.

They are busy, rustic, over the top and extremely entertaining. I thoroughly enjoy the excitement of everything going on around me.

Most people are very friendly and the women are beautiful. I can sit and people watch for hours.

These countries are also generally economically viable so I can afford to visit multiple times every year.

I have no interest in staying in a country that offers only a luxury experience as I would find that extremely boring.

I agree with everyone else that Thailand is not in a position to instantly transition into a luxury destination and I hope it never does. 

What country really only offers a luxury experience? Especially a more beach oriented destination

Most beach destinations are developing countries, for the most part

Maybe St Tropez and south of France, but even them, it's not all luxury and any place in SEA could never approach that level

I think Thailand is a great luxury destination, as is, if you want it to be

7 hours ago, Viggen840 said:

... not to mention perving on the scantily-clad farang on the beaches and the bar girls, of course (as well as a surreptitious feed of pork)

Not if the gals are muslim and the guy hasn't pedicured in a long time that makes him looked hooved.

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I think Thailand is a great luxury destination, as is, if you want it to be

Hey Marc and a good evening to ya.

Yeah, for me it is certainly always still a unique and a great experience for me here no matter what. So I think even for those of us who have been here for years to decades, it is just the same feeling and wundabar. I truly still love this place and the people even after 30 plus years.

I always find it exhilarating, and am never really bored, but just the maybe the sometimes I get the occasional hmmm and pffff with someone as is  a normal thing as you can't like and agree with everyone. But I really never grow old and tired of interacting and traveling with and amongst the Thai people. Now for the USA for me is a more of pulling teeth. But the USA is great for travelling around unless the person you encounter is a complete igit. Now for the USAit is a real huge plus a there are sooo many beautiful-great and fabulous places to travel to and see as like nothing on this earth, but then again I would think 30 - 50% of whom you encounter could be a drag, or maybe I am the drag for them. I love sport venues like basketball games and that is always a bonus thing that if I had the money I would fly back to se games every year no matter what. Unsurpassed fun. Especially with my son or daughter! Wife = Nope!

'Traveling the USA is not overated but the cost and the cost of traveling is definetely something overpriced, and for that cost I would much rather just travel in S.E Asia. Did a butt load of my travleing over my life already, so unless it is something my kids or my real best friends care to do, then it is going to be here, and here is enough for me already as is or can be unadulterated hee haws everytime..

At sometime as I am getting older now nearing 60 now, there will be a cheap oversized bunsen burner with my name on it to char my bones into ashes as I say adieu and my final good bye for the walk onto the white light lighted staircase to the next dimension of the next afterlife.. So after my rant, yes, Thailand is a land of luxury, but hese idiots in goverment need to shut the f up as it is not the gold card way, but it is plainly an awe of luxery of what the peopl and the place stand for and this can not be purchased in a luxory suite. Well it can if th galo is hot enough I guess. I am living the life and it is decades now.

Funny, but I can even find luxory in a bamboo hut depending on where it is at. So these overly rich silver golden spoon a-holes of Thai need to shut TF-up and mind their own business. why do they think people like and respect and love them when in actuality the majority of people don't, but the system is so twisted and compromised and swindled, they are onlyu lucky to be a leader becasue of it, but not a real leader as they lack the intelligence. Their control is bought and or forced by a regime, any regime as even a mafia is of that, but it certainly is not from the regimen of the true thai folk.

• Like 1

Why do they keep saying this?

they obviously don't have any idea what a  "luxury and premier holiday" - or they would shut up.

Edited by Khunwilko

2 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

Why do they keep saying this?

they obviously don't have any idea what a  "luxury and premier holiday" - or they would shut up.

Sure they do, bamboo hut rentals with a nightly price tag of 4000 baht to us richies, and 600 for the Thai. Money is the luxury they see. One thing nobody thinks of is if they can force hotels to go back to high pricing at the top of the time before covid, well they know as well as th hotels do is that a lot of tax will be collected. Higher the room or suite cost, th higher the tax is. 7% of 4000 bht is 280 baht. 2000 bht is 140 baht.

140 baht x 5000 rentals = 700,000 bht. 140 x 20,000 rentals = 2,800,000 for one night. 30 days = 84,000,000

30 days @ 260 bht = 168,000,000 bht. I will guarantee this crosses their minds as well as everything tourists buy, well  almost everything that is will also have a 7% tax sticker on it somewhere. And thoise numbers for the country combined are higher than that, then you throw in tiddly Thai tax from room rentals and now you have a source. Say like an oil well you pump