Poll: Majority of Thai people against 120 day reopening plan

Thaiger

Apparently they didn’t poll the people who are out of a job and eagerly await the return of travelers so they can get back to work.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ken said:

it is clearly delicate balance between economy and the horrible epidemic and whether opening will result in tipping point which may lead to more increased upsurge, by the way, interested to know how many cases of infection for those with two doses of sinovac and AZ

You said it there . . .a delicate balance indeed!

Hello, ken and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

11 minutes ago, DontacoXII said:

Apparently they didn’t poll the people who are out of a job and eagerly await the return of travelers so they can get back to work.

Fair comment. Always a problem with these polls.

Hello, DontacoXII and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

11 hours ago, Juke said:

Next poll, ask if they think the Thai government will be able to fully support Thai citizens needs monetarily. Housing(rent), all food, medical needs, clothing. costs of education without income from any tourism? How long will that last, and who goes without first? I will bet it won't be government officials without!

Too true . . . those hi-sos are set-up for life.

Hello, Juke and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

9 hours ago, SirPixAlot said:

In my opinion, this poll (interviewed people 1.3k from 70 million) is not representative. My GF (works and stay in BKK City) and she said, the atmosphere isn't generally against either tourist nor farang or even expats. The Thai people are more concerned about the slowly vaccination campaign and the incompetence of the government to purchase enough (HQ) vaccine.

Approved vaccination appointments were postponed without new dates. In addition to that, the news regarding side effects of the mostly used vaccine "Sinovac" will reduce the willingness of the Thais to be vaccinated.

This postulated "Re-Opening Day" will be in far distant future.

Probably the most balanced view of things I've had the pleasure of reading today . . . thanks for that!

Hello, SirPixAlot and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

I wonder who they interviewed. Certainly not those who are desperately trying to survive, pay their bills and put food on the table. The state employees, of which Thailand has a zillion can't of course be bothered as they will get their pay check, all though the way things are going that might not be an absolute certainty anymore. This whole covid 19 business has been blown out of all proportions. And if the choice is between certain economic melt down with all the associated mayhem that comes with it like lost livelihoods, hunger, despair, suicides etc, and the chance to get a disease with a survival rate of 99,98 %, then I know which choice to take. And instead of having a sand box where people are patronized and treated like infants maybe it would be a better idea to have a sandbox where everyone is welcome vaccinated or not with all businesses open. So we can take our chances among like minded individuals instead of destroying everything.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

So what does this mean for the foreseeable future if the vaccines are not as effective on the Delta variant or other resistant variants?  What would be the best solution?  

Some vaccines are and some aren't.

Israel (vaccinated with Pfizer) and the Seychelles (vaccinated with Sinopharm and AZ) have a similar vaccination rate but you're literally five hundred times as likely to still be infected in the Seychelles as you are in Israel.

As a layman (definitely NOT any sort of expert) I'd suggest that means the "best solution" would be for Sinopharm, Sinovac, AZ, etc, to stop producing their own vaccines and switch to producing Pfizer and Moderna instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DontacoXII said:

What makes you think that?

According to the poll "about 13.5% said they somewhat agree with the reopening plan and about 12.5% were in complete support of opening Thailand fully to international travellers, for a total of about 26% in favour of reopening", which suggests pretty strongly that they DID poll them, as the poll matches the sentiment among Thais I know.

13 hours ago, SirPixAlot said:

My GF (works and stay in BKK City) and she said, the atmosphere isn't generally against either tourist nor farang or even expats.

Agreed 100%, and I don't think it ever has been.

A very few outspoken Thais have made a few unnecessary and short-sighted comments  about farangs, but I think this whole idea that tourists / farangs / expats have been blamed by Thais for Covid-19 is a complete myth, stirred up by the same tourists / farangs / expats who accuse Thais of not "respecting" tourists / farangs / expats when the simple reality is that it's not tourists / farangs / expats who aren't "respected" but THEM personally.

Far easier to blame Thais, though, and blame it on being a tourist / farang / expat than to accept that they're just rejects that nobody likes (except their fellow rejects).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donald said:

... instead of having a sand box where people are patronized and treated like infants maybe it would be a better idea to have a sandbox where everyone is welcome vaccinated or not with all businesses open. So we can take our chances among like minded individuals instead of destroying everything.

Agreed 100%, @Donald - just as long as you don't make the rest of us take our chances alongside you.

Maybe you and your fellow like minded individuals could find somewhere suitable ..... South Georgia could be a possibility, but there's not much sand ...

• Cool 1

just to know.  But do the Thai people interviewed know that they are currently one of the countries most affected by Covid?  Don't they think that maybe the tourists will have to protect themselves?

33 minutes ago, obfessone said:

Don't believe those numbers are real.

I don't  believe those figures for a moment either, they are grossly underestimated. Scientists and medical professionals estimate the Indian are likely up to 10x times greater than the published ones. Modie is up for election there shortly if you didn't know

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

I don't  believe those figures for a moment either, they are grossly underestimated. Scientists and medical professionals estimate the Indian are likely up to 10x times greater than the published ones. Modie is up for election there shortly if you didn't know

Well, if he didn't know, he does now. Thanks for that informative debut post!

Hello, Rasputin and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Happy posting

King Cotton

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Agreed 100%, @Donald - just as long as you don't make the rest of us take our chances alongside you.

Maybe you and your fellow like minded individuals could find somewhere suitable ..... South Georgia could be a possibility, but there's not much sand ...

I would rather spent my time in a leper colony then in a madhouse surrounded by paranoid frightened and self destructive sheeple. And of course you don't have to join us, but if you are vaccinated then what is the problem. Aren't you supposed to be protected from this killer  virus ? If not, what's the point ?

21 hours ago, JamesE said:

This about covers it.

photo_2021-06-27_09-31-34.jpg

Ha Ha got a nice laugh alright but it's the untested foreigners creeping  across borders  that have brought variants in and flout  rules,  although many have no choice as cramped living is mandated by their employers who make gazillions off the backs of cheap labor. I'm writing of migrant workers, but the western tourists will sure help spread it with their notions of freedom from mask fascism and seeking out the underground delights of prostitutes. 

On 6/28/2021 at 3:07 PM, Stonker said:

Some vaccines are and some aren't.

Israel (vaccinated with Pfizer) and the Seychelles (vaccinated with Sinopharm and AZ) have a similar vaccination rate but you're literally five hundred times as likely to still be infected in the Seychelles as you are in Israel.

As a layman (definitely NOT any sort of expert) I'd suggest that means the "best solution" would be for Sinopharm, Sinovac, AZ, etc, to stop producing their own vaccines and switch to producing Pfizer and Moderna instead.

I agree with this “best solution”, would be to switch to the vaccines you mentioned.  Myself and many of my Thai relatives and friends are waiting for Moderna and Pfizer to arrive in Thailand, even though we will have to pay for it.  My Thai in-laws say they are too scared to get the Sinovac.  Results on Pfizer & Moderna seem more effective with immunity and even if someone does gets covid after vaccination, their symptoms have been less than dying.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:18 AM, Walshy said:

Be interesting to know the groups surveyed, doubt it will be many of the people who work within the tourist and hospitality trade.   Four months is a long time and much can be done in that time regarding increasing the number of Thai’s receiving the vaccine.  Tourists who provide evidence of two vaccines and a negative test aren’t the the threat. 

Agreed it would be interesting to know the details of the groups tested. If you did the same survey in tourist areas then I’m sure that would be lower. 
I too hope that some miracle will happen over the next four months to improve things in Thailand. However, a miracle is what it would take. The only other two practical actions to improve things is to Lockdown or vaccinate at a rate of over well over 500,000 a day. 

Ths U.K. will “fully reopen” in two weeks time. By then 65% of all adults will be fully vaccinated. That’s Adults, not 65% of the population. There will be approximately 35 million people who are fully vaccinated by July 19 which is only 50% of the population and far below the 75% people talk about for herd immunity. My reason for stating these figures is two fold: 1) The U.K. has one of the most successful rollouts in the world. 2) They will have been vaccinating for almost 8 months by the time they reopen. It’s a tall ask for Thailand to achieve the same levels of vaccination in half that time?