Poll: Majority of Thai people against 120 day reopening plan

Thaiger

Who isn’t excited about the 120-day reopening plan announced by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha last week? Turns out nearly 75% of people in Thailand, that’s who. In a new poll by the National Institute of Development Administration, the majority of people surveyed were against the reopening in less than 4 months. The NIDA poll interviewed by phone 1,311 people throughout Thailand between June 22 and 25, surveying people aged 15 and older of all education and occupational backgrounds. When asked if they agreed and supported the decision to reopen Thailand, 73.46 % said they disagreed. Of those, 53.55% were in complete […]

The post Poll: Majority of Thai people against 120 day reopening plan appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why are the Thais against foreigners coming, we've all been vaccinated, they haven't and they persist in breaking rules drinking partying and going against all protocols. They need to get there house in order before slating foreigners

• Like 1

Because even sometimes the vaccination does not work buddy I am also against it, and do not blame the partying only on Thais more arrest have been done because of foreigners breaking the rules.. probably alcoholics.. you need to get the fact straight.. leave foreigners out for now until Thailand is ok either way for what they want to come.. to break the protocol also ? Because tourist do not give a darn thing about anything at all

• Haha 1

Be interesting to know the groups surveyed, doubt it will be many of the people who work within the tourist and hospitality trade.   Four months is a long time and much can be done in that time regarding increasing the number of Thai’s receiving the vaccine.  Tourists who provide evidence of two vaccines and a negative test aren’t the the threat. 

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Kevod said:

Why are the Thais against foreigners coming, we've all been vaccinated, they haven't and they persist in breaking rules drinking partying and going against all protocols. They need to get there house in order before slating foreigners

"Foreigners" aren't the problem and very few Thais are   "slating foreigners".

The problem isn't tourists, vaccinated or not, but tourism.

Vaccinated tourists coming here can't exist in a little bubble by themselves. They want and need bars, nightlife, restaurants, tour guides, tour boats, drivers, cleaners, waiters, shopping malls - all the things that make a holiday a holiday, not a retreat into isolation with a mask on.

The only way they can get that is by binning all the rules and restrictions for everyone - great for all the vaccinated tourists, and the few vaccinated locals and expats (assuming the vaccines work), but what about the other 95% of the people here?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Walshy said:

Four months is a long time and much can be done in that time regarding increasing the number of Thai’s receiving the vaccine.

How?

Where are a hundred million doses coming from?

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Walshy said:

Be interesting to know the groups surveyed, doubt it will be many of the people who work within the tourist and hospitality trade.   Four months is a long time and much can be done in that time regarding increasing the number of Thai’s receiving the vaccine.  Tourists who provide evidence of two vaccines and a negative test aren’t the the threat. 

Fair comments.

Hello, Walshy and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Propaganda works.  I'm from USA.  Idiots in my country are still seen with masks on inside their cars, by themselves!!!  I've also seen families driving around, all with masks on, despite the fact that they live together!!!

I suppose if you're not in the tourist industry, it makes sense not to want international tourism.  But if 20% of gdp comes from tourism, there is a trickle effect to people not in the industry (but I suppose most don't realize/understand that).  I don't really care tho, I hope to visit in 2022 once the madness dies down.

• Like 4

Is this guy Isaan John???

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Because even sometimes the vaccination does not work buddy I am also against it, and do not blame the partying only on Thais more arrest have been done because of foreigners breaking the rules.. probably alcoholics.. you need to get the fact straight.. leave foreigners out for now until Thailand is ok either way for what they want to come.. to break the protocol also ? Because tourist do not give a darn thing about anything at all

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, kmc said:

Propaganda works.  I'm from USA.  Idiots in my country are still seen with masks on inside their cars, by themselves!!!  I've also seen families driving around, all with masks on, despite the fact that they live together!!!

I suppose if you're not in the tourist industry, it makes sense not to want international tourism.  But if 20% of gdp comes from tourism, there is a trickle effect to people not in the industry (but I suppose most don't realize/understand that).  I don't really care tho, I hope to visit in 2022 once the madness dies down.

These persons with masks on. Are they waiting outside of banks?

• Haha 2

Funny Thailand has approximately 70 million folks and they only polled 1,311 people and 74% (970+) are considered a majority of Thai folks.  If they could have polled several thousand to at least maybe 100 thousand, one might have a better understanding of the opinions of Thai people.  Most of the current covid outbreak is not from legal foreigners coming here.  The very few that test positive on arrival or in ASQ are quarantined and at a hospital and not spreading the virus.   I see some comments basically saying all foreign tourists drink too much and don’t follow rules or guidelines.  Makes me wonder where they get that data???  Make sense to me “not to open” up to vaccinated foreigners that have vacation money to spend ??.  Has there been reported cases where someone vaccinated got infected with covid-19 afterwards?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paco said:

I am curious have there been cases where someone was vaccinated and they still got infected with the covid virus?

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Who isn’t excited about the 120-day reopening plan announced by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha last week? Turns out nearly 75% of people in Thailand, that’s who. In a new poll by the National Institute of Development Administration, the majority of people surveyed were against the reopening in less than 4 months. The NIDA poll interviewed by phone 1,311 people throughout Thailand between June 22 and 25, surveying people aged 15 and older of all education and occupational backgrounds. When asked if they agreed and supported the decision to reopen Thailand, 73.46 % said they disagreed. Of those, 53.55% were in complete […]

The post Poll: Majority of Thai people against 120 day reopening plan appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Quite a scientific poll [sic] ?

I bet I could make a poll give figures of majority want all public holidays in Thailand scrapped. I would just survey retirees here. Or use the right questions. Look on YouTube for the Yes Minister clip that shows you how to get the right poll results for any poll survey you want.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

I am curious have there been cases where someone was vaccinated and they still got infected with the covid virus?

I got on Google and checked to answer my question and though vaccines are not 100% effective the experts say some variants are more resistant.  Some studies were done in India where they are having a tough time.

13 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

I am curious have there been cases where someone was vaccinated and they still got infected with the covid virus?

Seriously?

Over a third of the cases in the Seychelles have been fully vaccinated.

Sinopharm, Chinese vaccines (plus AZ) fair enough, but over a third of those dead from the Delta variant in the UK had been fully vaccinated - no Chinese vaccines.

To be honest, I couldn't care about any risks vaccinated tourists take - that's their / your choice, to be informed or not, particularly if you have unvaccinated kids.

What I care about, with 95% of the country unvaccinated, are the knock-on effects of tourism: no masks, bars and restaurants open for indoor dining and drinking, nightlife, parties, and a fun time had by all - except for those catching or passing Covid on who need an ICU bed and a ventilator and there aren't any.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Seriously?

Over a third of the cases in the Seychelles have been fully vaccinated.

Sinopharm, Chinese vaccines (plus AZ) fair enough, but over a third of those dead from the Delta variant in the UK had been fully vaccinated - no Chinese vaccines.

To be honest, I couldn't care about any risks vaccinated tourists take - that's their / your choice, to be informed or not, particularly if you have unvaccinated kids.

What I care about, with 95% of the country unvaccinated, are the knock-on effects of tourism: no masks, bars and restaurants open for indoor dining and drinking, nightlife, parties, and a fun time had by all - except for those catching or passing Covid on who need an ICU bed and a ventilator and there aren't any.

Calm down sir.  I don’t get the news from Seychelles or the UK.  You apparently could be an expert and know all the details, but these aren’t my fields of expertise which is why I asked the question.  I did check on Google before you replied that the Delta variant is more resistant to any of the vaccines and some vaccinated peeps did die.  So what does this mean for the foreseeable future if the vaccines are not as effective on the Delta variant or other resistant variants?  What would be the best solution?  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Calm down sir.  I don’t get the news from Seychelles or the UK.  You apparently could be an expert and know all the details, but these aren’t my fields of expertise which is why I asked the question.  I did check on Google before you replied that the Delta variant is more resistant to any of the vaccines and some vaccinated peeps did die.  So what does this mean for the foreseeable future if the vaccines are not as effective on the Delta variant or other resistant variants?  What would be the best solution?

Fair question, for sure.

Hello, Dancbmac and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Next poll, ask if they think the Thai government will be able to fully support Thai citizens needs monetarily. Housing(rent), all food, medical needs, clothing. costs of education without income from any tourism? How long will that last, and who goes without first? I will bet it won't be government officials without!

• Like 3

it is clearly delicate balance between economy and the horrible epidemic and whether opening will result in tipping point which may lead to more increased upsurge, by the way, interested to know how many cases of infection for those with two doses of sinovac and AZ

• Like 2

In my opinion, this poll (interviewed people 1.3k from 70 million) is not representative. My GF (works and stay in BKK City) and she said, the atmosphere isn't generally against either tourist nor farang or even expats. The Thai people are more concerned about the slowly vaccination campaign and the incompetence of the government to purchase enough (HQ) vaccine.

Approved vaccination appointments were postponed without new dates. In addition to that, the news regarding side effects of the mostly used vaccine "Sinovac" will reduce the willingness of the Thais to be vaccinated.

This postulated "Re-Opening Day" will be in far distant future. ?

• Like 2

So, if the virus keeps mutating as they say, we'll live in a lockdown literally forever. They probably want to lockdown until they found a cure for death. 

Just open up, vaccinate if that's so necessary, but then don't keep postponing, and don't put it so big in the news. News is only as bad as the media makes it. So is Covid. The media is the most dangerous part of the virus. 

• Like 2

The organisation (NIDA) that conducted this organisation is a paid-for education institution - I checked their website and they have no credibility in my opinion - pay money for a post-grad/doctorate type place. I bet this is some 'exercise' done by a student or two with a grudge against tourists coming because they are scared about C19  - typical media hype and garbage.

Did they ring anyone on Phuket, Samui etc? Or did they call those in Ubon and Roi Et. I hate to say it - but I agree with the PM in this situation - learn what needs to be learned from Phuket - there is sure a lot to learn from that clusterbox - and then apply it across the tourist provinces in Thailand - and restrict arrivals to inside that Province for 14 days. But - only if the daily number of cases drop below a threshold number (insert). 

7 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

So, if the virus keeps mutating as they say, we'll live in a lockdown literally forever. They probably want to lockdown until they found a cure for death. 

Just open up, vaccinate if that's so necessary, but then don't keep postponing, and don't put it so big in the news. News is only as bad as the media makes it. So is Covid. The media is the most dangerous part of the virus. 

As the Thais has a problem doing something correctly and fully [Thai way of a lockdown] I'd say; take away the "emergency" decree by general elections [if they ever will happen in any foreseeable future] and just keep hope that the poor can't be bought with a 500 thb bank note and  that the elections isn't tempered in any other way...anyway, we will see how many of us expats and retirees still choses to stay here for that long, too firsthand see the Thai people get back their freedom. 

• Like 3