News Forum - Unvaccinated tourist turned away at check-in desk en route to Thailand

Thaiger

Who wants to sit next to  an unvaccinated person for a 12 hour flight, and especially a person who was so selfish and cheap that he refused to be tested prior to departure?

It's no wonder the UK has a continuing Covid epidemic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

Just for my personal edification, what requirement did this gentleman fail to consider before attempting to board in Manchester? 

The Emirates procedures require the covid-19 screening test for passengers in transit (although Thailand says a test can be done on arrival) The way in which Thailand worded the 2nd option wasn't put into the Emirates procedures. Keep in mind that a transit flight is not a guarantee of passage. A  flight can be delayed or rescheduled and pax has to enter the transit country where additional covid19 screening measures are in place.  This was an airline misinterpretation of a new change. However, the airline still has the right to refuse passage.  The passenger was rolling the dice with his flight and he will have to wait a little longer to get to his fan room in Pattaya. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

Wondering where all those temperature machines you say are still in full swing?  Myself and my wife have been out & about and the machines are either gone or turned off the past couple of days. Many people outside do not wear masks outside since no longer mandatory, but there are many older and maybe more scared Thais that still wear them everywhere.  I do smile to myself when seeing those driving their car and they are the only one in the car all masked up, but they are not hurting anybody.  Many indoor places like malls & grocery stores, etc. masks are still required unless you are eating, but it is a minor inconvenience.  Even when mandatory masks indoors are lifted, many Thais will probably continue to wear them, especially in the big cities.

The answer to the mysterious mask wearing when by themselves!

I do this if Im coming from a shop and going to another!

why waste another mask!

• Like 1

is his right not to get vaxxed

as is the right of the airline to deny him to protect their customers

boy did he "OWN" us vaxxed folks here reading this in LOS...lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cabra said:

Yes. If you are transiting other airports or change planes you need to pay attention.

Even just the airline policy needs to be checked before flying Qantas for instance requires proof of vaccination or exemption or they will not let you board an international flight regardless of destination in spite of the Australian Government dropping all covid related conditions for entry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Even just the airline policy needs to be checked before flying Qantas for instance requires proof of vaccination or exemption or they will not let you board an international flight regardless of destination in spite of the Australian Government dropping all covid related conditions for entry. 

Correct, although you'd expect Qantas to drop this very soon. 

I'm for vaccination but at this point it's only protecting the individual, not protecting any other customers on the flight, so makes no sense to have it as a condition of carriage. 

12 hours ago, Vigo said:

Who wants to sit next to  an unvaccinated person for a 12 hour flight, and especially a person who was so selfish and cheap that he refused to be tested prior to departure?

It's no wonder the UK has a continuing Covid epidemic.

Could never envisage the vast hard core irrational anti-adult vax  groupings in advanced educated western nations of seemingly 20-25% adult population😡

Name & Shame these Cranks 😡those still alive anyway ……

who when dying in droves, overloaded our health systems, pleading for vax before gasping their last, taking up valuable ICU space. 😌

Who are these irrational untrustworthy Nutters ? Identify & Exclude them from Employment & Business & Travel & Rational Society. 😩

Return them to School in fact to learn again How to Learn using Reason / Logic / Facts / Science. 😉

On 7/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, oldschooler said:

It’s plain truth that around 97% hospital Covid deaths across most major western countries were unvaxxed. 😩😞

Please cite your source... this is just plain untrue

On 7/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, Dancbmac said:

Wondering where all those temperature machines you say are still in full swing?  Myself and my wife have been out & about and the machines are either gone or turned off the past couple of days. Many people outside do not wear masks outside since no longer mandatory, but there are many older and maybe more scared Thais that still wear them everywhere.  I do smile to myself when seeing those driving their car and they are the only one in the car all masked up, but they are not hurting anybody.  Many indoor places like malls & grocery stores, etc. masks are still required unless you are eating, but it is a minor inconvenience.  Even when mandatory masks indoors are lifted, many Thais will probably continue to wear them, especially in the big cities.

Wonder where you live then, because none of the places that I've been in the past 2 weeks have removed those temperature scans. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Wonder where you live then, because none of the places that I've been in the past 2 weeks have removed those temperature scans. 

I normally live in Nonthaburi, but I have have been up north in Phayao for a few weeks and since 1 July it seems that the temperatures scans have either been removed or turned off.  I haven’t been to every shop or restaurant so I can’t claim this is 100% everywhere.  The Lotus mall & Tops mall here both have turned off their scanners, but are still at the entrances, but moved further out of the way.  Makro tv entrance scanner was turned off, but still located there “just in case”.  Went to two restaurants at the lake area this weekend and their scanners were gone.  Maybe when we return to Bangkok in a week this will be different?

On 7/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, riclag said:

The answer to the mysterious mask wearing when by themselves!

I do this if Im coming from a shop and going to another!

why waste another mask!

So you are not hurting anybody as I mentioned in my comment.

5 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Just because the scanner is there doesn't mean it's still turned on. All the reports I have received say the stores still have them at the door but they are switched off. Only the malls have them turned on and only the ones with security staff at the door that is. If there are no security staff then it's off or totally removed. 

9 hours ago, Dancbmac said:

I normally live in Nonthaburi, but I have have been up north in Phayao for a few weeks and since 1 July it seems that the temperatures scans have either been removed or turned off.  I haven’t been to every shop or restaurant so I can’t claim this is 100% everywhere.  The Lotus mall & Tops mall here both have turned off their scanners, but are still at the entrances, but moved further out of the way.  Makro tv entrance scanner was turned off, but still located there “just in case”.  Went to two restaurants at the lake area this weekend and their scanners were gone.  Maybe when we return to Bangkok in a week this will be different?

I made a trip to an Isaan Makro today. The usual paraphernalia was present but only about 50% of people entering made any attempt to use the  gel, pause at the scanner ( which I did note was as you said moved to less prominent position). 100%  of people were  wearing a mask. I did make use of the gel which I have routinely liberally applied to the shopping cart handle. I take the view that even if covid is not present then it will  possibly reduce the  numerous other greeblies that may be lurking. I did notice that the various staff  outside were also not spraying and wiping the cart handles anymore either. If the  mask is effective in maintaining an awareness as opposed to a denial of community risk then let it continue as a social habit. It was a feature of many Asian countries prior to Covid  as a perceived form of protection anyway. If Airlines are being pendantic  as to conditrions of boarding  then it need be recognized they have that right so long as they have  made it  very  clear in the conditions of accepting a booking from an aspirant traveler .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Did you actually read the report?  There are admitted errors and ambiguity in the collection of data... also... and I quote..."The data are for England only, as vaccinations data for Wales are not yet available and the Public Health Data Asset (PHDA) covers England only."... hardly the entire western world.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skip said:

Did you actually read the report?  There are admitted errors and ambiguity in the collection of data... also... and I quote..."The data are for England only, as vaccinations data for Wales are not yet available and the Public Health Data Asset (PHDA) covers England only."... hardly the entire western world.

UK ONS a top credible source and released earlier clearer reports. Data is clear and out there. Here’s another link. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1061532/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_11.pdf

I’m not writing a thesis here. it’s obvious & evidenced that the 97% unvaxxed / 3% vaxxed Covid dead in UK are closely mirrored in similar societies with similar health / anti-vax profiles.

Another supporting scientific conclusion on link here is that Covid Vax prevented 14.4 million further Covid deaths. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:58 PM, Outsider said:

I made a trip to an Isaan Makro today. The usual paraphernalia was present but only about 50% of people entering made any attempt to use the  gel, pause at the scanner ( which I did note was as you said moved to less prominent position). 100%  of people were  wearing a mask. I did make use of the gel which I have routinely liberally applied to the shopping cart handle. I take the view that even if covid is not present then it will  possibly reduce the  numerous other greeblies that may be lurking. I did notice that the various staff  outside were also not spraying and wiping the cart handles anymore either. If the  mask is effective in maintaining an awareness as opposed to a denial of community risk then let it continue as a social habit. It was a feature of many Asian countries prior to Covid  as a perceived form of protection anyway. If Airlines are being pendantic  as to conditrions of boarding  then it need be recognized they have that right so long as they have  made it  very  clear in the conditions of accepting a booking from an aspirant traveler .

Everyone that we saw in Makro are still wearing a masks, including myself & my wife, which is no problem for us and once finished with our business and leave the store we remove our masks in the car and spray gel again, as we have in the past couple of years.  My wife is religious about the alcohol gel, so much that the clear coat on the top of the steering wheel has degraded and bubbling off.  I do the same and get a squirt of gel at the entrance of Makro and apply it to the shopping cart handle.  Funny thing is we went back to Lotus yesterday and went in another entrance and they had a scanner “booth” still turned on, one with the scanner screen & small swing doors, moved way off to the left side and a family went to use it all at the same time and it worked but had a delay.  The mother and 2 kids were in the scanner “booth” at the same time instead of one at a time and may have overwhelmed the system until the swing doors finally opened.  The other entrance we normally go into the is scanner usually placed on the right side.  Since the beginning of the month it was moved way over to the right and was unplugged.  Will be driving back down to Bangkok soon and shorty after fly domestic to visit friends in Isaan then back to Bangkok a few days later and expect the mandatory masking on the flight.  From comments of others here, we expect most shop scanners to still be operational around Bangkok when we return.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:31 AM, Transam said:

The Makro in my Isaan area still wipe the trolley handles, an automatic temp check is also present, as you walk past you can see yourself on a screen, it lights you up in green if you are OK temp wise. 

High-tech in my area Makro....😉

I think all the Makros have that same system, at least the ones we have used in Bangkok, in Chiang Mai, and up north here in Phayao, but was turned off when we went there a few days ago and there wasn’t any person wiping the trolley handles like before. Even when they had a person wiping them before I always got the alcohol gel and spread it on the handle as an extra precaution. We are going back to Bangkok soon and the Makro there may be the same as your area, as it is a busier store than the one up here??