News Forum - Koh Phangan ranked top workation location in the world

Thaiger

Open your suitcases and your chakras – Koh Phangan has been ranked as the top destination for a workation – an increasingly popular way of squeezing in a getaway while continuing to work. The popular tourist island in the southern Thailand province of Surat Thani, ranks number one out of 16 choices gathered and analyzed by William Russell, a prominent health, life, and income insurer. The list was calculated by considering 4 main factors that are important for somebody trying to have a holiday while still getting some work done: accommodation costs, internet speed, safety, and of course, fun. Koh […]

The story Koh Phangan ranked top workation location in the world as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

who comes up with this nonsense and more to the point, who is gullible enough to  believe it?   Russell is clearly a dumb ass. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Kind of a random list and no doubt random criteria as well. Koh Phagnan? Yeah maybe. But the sheer randomness of the locations leads me to believe the list is entirely made up. Who decides “good” and “great” for the fun factor?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Kind of a random list and no doubt random criteria as well. Koh Phagnan? Yeah maybe. But the sheer randomness of the locations leads me to believe the list is entirely made up. Who decides “good” and “great” for the fun factor?

Random BS IMO

How easy is it to get to Koh Phangan and what quality of accommodation/lifestyle can one have there compared with Koh Samui or Bangkok.   Canary islands don't run a Baht bus service to and from mainland Europe either ... nice place though, if you speak Spanish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Who decides “good” and “great” for the fun factor?

full/half moon party weedheads?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I can't really comment on the actual survey under discussion; I have no idea about the author or the company behind it.

That said, as a semi/part-time Digital-Nomad and/or sometime 'Workationer', I can say that the islands (both KP and Samui) are wonderful for it. My preference is for Samui, mostly as I am a tad older than the average DM, but I have worked/stayed on each and have nothing but good things to say.

Back in the day, Internet and electricity were appalling and thus making either not worth it, but in the last decade or so both have been upgraded and outages are mainly a memory now. Further, the cost of living is lower than just about anywhere else, with the exception of the people who reside in the wilds of Isaan. You can live quite easily on around 20,000 a month, and for that get a bungalow, a motorbike, are able to eat a cross-section of local and foreign foods, and have a couple of nights out a month. Finally, when you sit in front of a computer all day, it is truly wonderful to saunter down to the beach each morning and evening for a dip in the clear blue seas, have a lie on the beach if/as needed, and there is something hedonistically pleasurable about a massage on the beach. A final note, if you don't want the FMP, and I don't, I just head for Samui for a three-day break when it occurs; done and done.

KP and Samui, but KP in particular, suffer from a hung-over reputation which isn't too correct these days. Yes, there are the 'New-Age Morons' seeking 'Enlightenment' and 'Re-Aligning their Chakras', but after a few days you can spot them from afar and avoid them.

Given a choice between KP/Samui and most other places in Thailand, I happily choose the Islands for my DM time; cheap but good, all the amenities, and loads of hot chicks in bikinis.

😎

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

mostly as I am a tad older than the average DM

How does that pay out, with this:

17 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

and loads of hot chicks in bikinis

I mean, they are there for the parties, partygoers, right? So ...... 🙊

17 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I happily choose the Islands for my DM time; cheap but good, all the amenities, and loads of hot chicks in bikinis.

That seals it then, no contest! 😜  

• Haha 1

Weird list. I prefer the Azores in european summer. Costs about half of Lisbon. I work if it is rainy, walk a trail if the weather is nice. And relax at the beach after 3 pm.

During winter time the Canary islands are good too.

No visa problems or tax issues, the Portuguese and Spanish are quite easy.

I do speak portuguese and spanish, that helps 😊

• 2 weeks later...

The coffee shops in Koh Phangan are full with russian digital nomats. All talking to somebody in the internet. I don't say what I think about them. Do you like to follow them?  I travel a lot. My favourite countries are Portugal and Spain. The Euro will continue to be cheap. Gran Canaria no or cheep tax no cost for heating or cooling. Nice beach and good food. No problem with local people. Not exiting but ok.

And Thailand is still one of the best place in Asia.