News Forum - Proposal for telecom providers to help tidy up Bangkok cables

Thaiger

Bangkok officials proposed at a meeting yesterday that telecom service providers should do their part in tidying up overhead cables around the city. The proposal comes a week after a fatal fire was believed to have been caused by a transformer exploding at a 3 storey shophouse. The fire broke out in a historic market in Bangkok’s Chinatown, killing 2 people. The officials who attended the meeting were representatives of the Metropolitan Electrical Authority, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, and the Provincial Electrical Authority. The meeting was chaired by Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda. The officials agreed that all overhead […]

The story Proposal for telecom providers to help tidy up Bangkok cables as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

telecommunication service providers must work together on how they will manage the cables and whether they can afford to do the job.

They are some of the biggest profit makers in Thailand.

Start jailing a few of their executives and multi million baht fines for future deaths attributable to their bad practices and they'll clean up their act quickly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Bangkok officials proposed at a meeting yesterday that telecom service providers should do their part in tidying up overhead cables around the city. The proposal comes a week after a fatal fire was believed to have been caused by a transformer exploding at a 3 storey shophouse. The fire broke out in a historic market in Bangkok’s Chinatown, killing 2 people. The officials who attended the meeting were representatives of the Metropolitan Electrical Authority, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, and the Provincial Electrical Authority. The meeting was chaired by Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda. The officials agreed that all overhead […]

The story Proposal for telecom providers to help tidy up Bangkok cables as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The usual “Official Thai” BS ,  big announcements but F all will happen

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

After the fire in Chinatown last week, the owners of the shop building that caught fire threatened to sue the MEA. This was for alleged negligence with the transformer that caught fire.

If they are so keen to claim negligence, it seems strange the owners apparently didn't complain when the transformer was originally installed so close to a building.
Either they did complain (and have evidence to support that), or it was it the usual wait until an accident before doing anything?

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

NBTC representatives accepted that some of the overhead telecom cables are still needed, but they must be properly bundled.

I'm interested in why some of the overhead telecom cables are still needed and can't be moved underground.

11 hours ago, TedG said:

The first things I noticed during my first time in Bangkok was the sloppy electrical wires.   What a mess. 

That is the charm of Bangkok. 

16 hours ago, palooka said:

telecommunication service providers must work together on how they will manage the cables and whether they can afford to do the job.

They are some of the biggest profit makers in Thailand.

Start jailing a few of their executives and multi million baht fines for future deaths attributable to their bad practices and they'll clean up their act quickly.

The laws already exist to  jail the executives for criminal negligence. The reality is that the  overhead wires, are not responsible for the deaths of anyone. The wires are unsightly, yes, but  they do not present an immediate danger.

• Like 1

They should be contacting several other countries who have successful electrical and communication distribution networks.  I'm sure they will get some very valuable helpful information.

So called land line phones and their cables should be removed and wiring eliminated.  All phone and internet service can be supported by wireless 5G. 5G radios can be dispersed on the concrete telephone poles with minimal fiber optic cabling to support the infrastructure.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Transam said:

But there shouldn't be any poles, this is the 21st century, chap.....😋

Good luck under- grounding 5G cells in the massive numbers required ! lol. Or paying a premium for same number mounted on private buildings. Current "leases" for  rooftop or rural mast site requirements  already add up to a significant cost. Sky hooks maybe ?

31 minutes ago, Outsider said:

Good luck under- grounding 5G cells in the massive numbers required ! lol. Or paying a premium for same number mounted on private buildings. Current "leases" for  rooftop or rural mast site requirements  already add up to a significant cost. Sky hooks maybe ?

Concrete electric supply poles have nothing to do with 5G, or do you know something I don't?

4 hours ago, Transam said:

But there shouldn't be any poles, this is the 21st century, chap.....😋

Were you going to suggest Romanians? 🤣

18 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Concrete electric supply poles have nothing to do with 5G, or do you know something I don't?

Ok. Sky hooks it is then !

i would guess that that about 90 % of the telecom cables all cities are redundant, as they are old copper internet and CTV cables and are no longer used as most customers have switched to fibre optic. But the telecom companies that hung them up there will argue tat they belong to the customers, the cable being part of the connection fee. 

But some day, some one will wake up to the fact that there are tens of millions of Baht in unwanted copper hanging up there, free for the taking.....

Moving high voltage lines underground sounds to me like a pie-in-the-sky project akin to moving all the traffic in the country to the opposite side of the road (which was proposed years ago).

Underground cabling is hugely expensive to install and even more so to repair.  Check out this video from a civil engineer on the nightmare of repairing underground HV cables:

I'm not confident that the skill sets exist here in sufficient quantity to accommodate this lofty goal.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for posting the video. It was absolutely fascinating.

I'm not sure that the Thai underground electric cabling is going to be such high voltage?
I get the impression it's more designed purely for local distribution at lower voltage. However, I could be entirely wrong on that.