Ukraine/Russian Conflict - General Discussion

Smithydog

5 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Note this is a Ukrainian source so take with a little salt: 

"Finally, we received confirmation that a Russian landing craft of project 1176 Akula of the Black Sea Fleet D-106 hit a mine near Mariupol on June 30. Three sailors are already singing songs for fish together with Kobzon," Andriushchenko wrote.

On June 30, Serhiy Bratchuk, spokesman for the Odesa Regional Military Administration, wrote on Telegram that a Russian amphibious assault ship of project 1176 Akula of the Black Sea Fleet D-106 blew up near Mariupol. "We are waiting for confirmation of a 'gesture of goodwill'," he said.

https://www.ukrinform.net/amp/rubric-ato/3520769-russian-assault-ship-sinks-near-mariupol.html

If true, I wonder if it was a Russian or Ukrainian mine? Like with the cruiser Moskva, it’s a which one is worse answer. Did they fail in clearing the mines, or did they fail in knowing where they placed them? 

"Fail" would be more likely....🥴 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Note this is a Ukrainian source so take with a little salt: 

"Finally, we received confirmation that a Russian landing craft of project 1176 Akula of the Black Sea Fleet D-106 hit a mine near Mariupol on June 30. Three sailors are already singing songs for fish together with Kobzon," Andriushchenko wrote.

On June 30, Serhiy Bratchuk, spokesman for the Odesa Regional Military Administration, wrote on Telegram that a Russian amphibious assault ship of project 1176 Akula of the Black Sea Fleet D-106 blew up near Mariupol. "We are waiting for confirmation of a 'gesture of goodwill'," he said.

https://www.ukrinform.net/amp/rubric-ato/3520769-russian-assault-ship-sinks-near-mariupol.html

If true, I wonder if it was a Russian or Ukrainian mine? Like with the cruiser Moskva, it’s a which one is worse answer. Did they fail in clearing the mines, or did they fail in knowing where they placed them? 

but but but… how could the Russians not know where the mines they laid were located? unless Ukraine laid the mines? no, that’s not possible. Ukraine had no idea the Russians were coming again, that the Russian Navy were in the Black Sea and that they needed to protect their shores from amphibious landing craft. That the Ukrainian flag ship sprung a leak and sunk next to the docks was sheer coincidence. . Silly Russians flinging sea mines around… that’ll teach them.’

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fanta said:

but but but… how could the Russians not know where the mines they laid were located? unless Ukraine laid the mines? no, that’s not possible. Ukraine had no idea the Russians were coming again, that the Russian Navy were in the Black Sea and that they needed to protect their shores from amphibious landing craft. That the Ukrainian flag ship sprung a leak and sunk next to the docks was sheer coincidence. . Silly Russians flinging sea mines around… that’ll teach them.’

Indeed it will, and looking at their many other mistakes, I am not surprised either.....🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Silly Russians flinging sea mines around… that’ll teach them.’

That’s what I say! hahaha 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Mearscheimer fully & correctly represents Putins Strategic View. And agrees with it all. Problem is this View is clearly wrong. with gaping holes.

1. NATO are simply Never going to physically attack a nuclear-armed Russia, without NATO first being physically attacked. Absurd Idea that exposes the lie of “ NATO are Threatening Us”.

2. NATO role Unchanged  from inception, i.e. protect against clear existential threat of belligerent Unfree Russia. 

3. Mexico having Russian forces there could  ONLY  be interpreted as a Hostile Aggression to USA. No Other Purpose. USA does not threaten Mexico.

4. NATO / US forces in Baltics might be seen or claimed by Russia as Hostile BUT ( much more logical )could also be purely Defensive ( unlike the Mexico / Russia scenario) . 

5. NATO a “ hostile” cold war force , when compelled to defend against the naked terror & nuclear might of Russian Communism? “ Hostile” ? Give me a break ….a pure absurdity.

6. “ Expansion” ? It’s clearly a combined effect of geography, history, Russian prior occupation & aggression, Russia being Unfree AND Free Terrified Nations banding together by their independent individual Self Determination, to seek out & join NATO.NATO cannot “ expand” by Itself ! 

7. NATO “opening door” to Ukraine & Georgia IS clearly a Deception to provoke Russia into inevitable invasion & wrecking of Ukraine. It Worked. Georgia is quite disconnected & indefensible. Ukraine can’t control its lands / borders. Clearly neither country will ever be permitted to join NATO. 

8. Ukraine clearly looks west for aspirations & future. It cannot be told by other nations not to do that or “ be Neutral” , or else !😠 Free Nations take no directions from Tyrants since 1938.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Transam said:

Indeed it will, and looking at their many other mistakes, I am not surprised either.....🙄

Of course Ukraine laid the sea mines. Why wouldn’t they? Ukraine also use cluster munitions and anti personnel land mines. What possible reason would Ukraine not have to use these munitions? Because they are the nice guys is not a reason. 

8 hours ago, astro said:

If anybody with your attitude has any influence in NATO, then yes, it's definetely a hostile force.

Just look at the terms and language you use.

Oh.... and this gem: "Russian Communism" - really? 😂

I’m sure the NATO Free Nations could care less that you don’t like my “tone” when supporting their just cause🤣😂

Nato started / operated when Russia / USSR was Communist 1946-91. Then Russia simply re- branded their evil terror state under Thieving Gangster FSB Kleptocracy 😡

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Of course Ukraine laid the sea mines. Why wouldn’t they? Ukraine also use cluster munitions and anti personnel land mines. What possible reason would Ukraine not have to use these munitions? Because they are the nice guys is not a reason. 

Ukraine,for me, get a Full Pass on whatever they decide to do to Russian forces. Few were sympathetic to WW2 Fascists.For good reason. Same Here. 😉😌

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, Fanta said:

He must have left his cheque book at home as no announcements were made of further aid to Ukraine.

I’m guessing he just wanted to announce it from home:

Australia will provide the following new package of assistance to Ukraine:

A$99.5 million in military assistance, including 14 armoured personnel carriers, 20 Bushmaster protected mobility vehicles and other military equipment supplied by Australia’s defence industry, and a contribution to NATO’s Ukraine Comprehensive Assistance Package Trust Fund. This brings Australia’s total military assistance to Ukraine to approximately A$388 million.

A$8.7 million (US$6 million) to assist Ukraine’s Border Guard Service to upgrade border management equipment, improve cyber security and enhance border operations in the field.

Duty free access for Ukrainian imports to Australia, complementing similar trade measures taken by our partners, including the UK and the EU.

Australia will intervene at the International Court of Justice in support of Ukraine in its case against Russia.

Targeted financial sanctions and travel bans on 16 additional Russian ministers and oligarchs.

Australia will prohibit imports of Russian gold to reduce Russia’s ability to fund its war, joining with partners, including Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom and United States.

Australia is the largest non-NATO contributor to Ukraine in the defence of their homeland.

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/visit-kyiv-and-further-australian-support-ukraine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

29 minutes ago, Fanta said:

"Nice guys", I would prefer you call them the "aggrieved", as I am sure the Russians have many nice guys too, whom many sadly will not be going home.....

.Thank you...😉

• Like 1

So Ukraine has struck a Russian base for storing military equipment in an area held by Russia. Well done that man but a few more miles across the border into Russia would have been a better target.

An inside look at Russian boots on the ground by the respected BBC Diplomatic Editor Mark Urban...... 

• Like 2

Are these the same Airborne troops that committed war crimes, looting, and Raping once they got there arse kicked in the North.

14 minutes ago, vlad said:

Are these the same Airborne troops that committed war crimes, looting, and Raping once they got there arse kicked in the North.

Dunno.......But watch it all, figures are mentioned..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fanta said:

Lysyschansk has fallen and with it the Luhansk oblast - time to roll out the “that place wasn’t important anyway” dismissal. If you believe the pro Ukraine propaganda that Russia’s Army is a shuffling mess of higher functioning zombies than this latest setback doesn’t speak volumes for the highly motivated, well trained, numerically superior UAF. In other news the UAF launched missiles into Belgorod, Russia hitting the airfield, 11 apartment buildings and 39 houses. I won’t hold my breath waiting for the Western cries of outrage and will try to turn a deaf ear to Zelenskyy’s proclamations of it being “karma”. 
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/3/explosions-reported-in-the-russian-city-of-belgorod-3-dead

Way to go yet with taking whole Donetsk. Let’s see how next step goes ; Kramatorsk😌

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Ukrainian forces hit a Russian military logistics base with over 30 strikes in the Russian-occupied southern city of Melitopol on Sunday, the city's exiled mayor said. A Russian-installed official confirmed that strikes had hit the city

Some footage of the attack on here.

Russia-Ukraine war latest: leaders gather to work out ‘Marshall plan’ to rebuild Ukraine; Zelenskiy vows to retake Lysychansk (theguardian.com)

There is more if you view replies to the embedded video. 

Some lovely secondarys going on there :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Way to go yet with taking whole Donetsk. Let’s see how next step goes ; Kramatorsk😌

50% of Donetsk already taken. Sloviansk (pop. 100k) is next then Kramatorsk (pop. 150k)

“Everyone knows that there will be a huge battle in Sloviansk,” a soldier who could not be named for security reasons told the AP.

Another soldier, a 23-year-old accountant who enlisted when the invasion began, said Ukrainian forces simply do not have the weapons to fight off the superior arsenal of the approaching Russian army. “We know what’s coming,” he said with a sad smile.” 
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/4/ukraine-russia-live-news-six-killed-in-eastern-town-sloviansk 

• Like 1

Russia seems to be winning. But winning in a “bad” way. Shell each town to oblivion, grind it to dust. Ukrainian troops withdraw. Next town. Rinse and repeat. World War 2 all over again. But Russia is running out of cannon fodder, I think.

I predict that Russia will call a general mobilization soon. Look out for false flag operations; pretexts to enrage the Russian populace and generate support for mobilization. That’s next. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Russia seems to be winning. But winning in a “bad” way. Shell each town to oblivion, grind it to dust. Ukrainian troops withdraw. Next town. Rinse and repeat. World War 2 all over again. But Russia is running out of cannon fodder, I think.

I predict that Russia will call a general mobilization soon. Look out for false flag operations; pretexts to enrage the Russian populace and generate support for mobilization. That’s next. 

Thing is calling a general mobilization leads to unwelcome questions about why Russia is not winning a small scale special military operation. Then Putin has to go on TV and say its not a small scale operation its a war.

What Putin will keep doing is mobilizing the populations of areas he has taken control of. Its producing poor results as the troops are not motivated to fight.

When the Ukraine starts a serious counter offensive those guys are not going to put up much of a fight. 

That attack on Melitopol makes me think the US has delivered some of the longer range missiles for the MLRS. The US had previously only supplied shorter range missiles in case the Ukraine started using them on Moscow 😆.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

That attack on Melitopol makes me think the US has delivered some of the longer range missiles for the MLRS. The US had previously only supplied shorter range missiles in case the Ukraine started using them on Moscow 😆

It’s a long shot but still in range. The distance between the front line and Melitopol is about 75-80km. The HIMALS with the supplied missiles have an 85km range. No doubt dangerous to be that close to counter battery fire. Probably part of the reason they shot in two different time frames. Shoot and scoot. 

No doubt those 300km range missiles will end up being supplied, just a question of when. Just a guess but I’d say give it a couple of months. 

• Like 1

Moscow says the alleged missile strike carried out by Ukrainian forces on the city of Belgorod aimed to provoke Russia, according to the spokeswoman for the country’s Foreign Ministry, Maria Zakharova.

“The goal of the Kyiv regime is to strike with unguided weapons at residential areas of cities. We understand that these actions of the Kyiv regime were not just coordinated with its Western curators, but most likely prompted by them,” Zakharova said in a video statement on Sunday. “This is being done in order to push us to launch retaliatory strikes of this kind, and then further spin the anti-Russian hysteria.”

“We have so far refrained from taking such steps, but we will be following developments very closely,” she added.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-07-04-22/index.html

In another example of being tone deaf. How do you make that last statement with a straight face? That aside, provoke Russia to do what? Invade Ukraine? Oh wait they already did that. Kill Ukrainian civilians? Oh wait they already do that. Shoot inaccurate missiles into crowded cities? Oh wait they already do that too. 

Still no explanation from Russia what they were firing at with those missile strikes in Odesa a couple of days ago? Maybe it was just civilians like Ukraine claims? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Transam said:

On the ground aftermath at the Mall findings, interesting....

If people here are going to start posting propaganda from the Clinton News Network, let's at least counterbalance it with its equal and exact opposite, lest we get sucked into a hole of Democrat Party thought. The truth may lie somewhere between the two opposing views (which is why, after all, the Western world is supposed to have an adversarial Parliament):

https://odysee.com/Lugansk-Road-to-Independence:936515e2080887928f443daec926c952bada253d?src=embed

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

If people here are going to start posting propaganda from the Clinton News Network, let's at least counterbalance it with its equal and exact opposite, lest we get sucked into a hole of Democrat Party thought. The truth may lie somewhere between the two opposing views (which is why, after all, the Western world is supposed to have an adversarial Parliament):

https://odysee.com/Lugansk-Road-to-Independence:936515e2080887928f443daec926c952bada253d?src=embed

Not a valid news source. Post something demonstrating your point from a reputable site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Not a valid news source. Post something demonstrating your point from a reputable site.

The same can be said about CNN, and who are you to censor what we read anyway?

Here you go: https://www.mil.gov.ua/en/ - Satisfied now?

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

It’s a long shot but still in range. The distance between the front line and Melitopol is about 75-80km. The HIMALS with the supplied missiles have an 85km range. No doubt dangerous to be that close to counter battery fire. Probably part of the reason they shot in two different time frames. Shoot and scoot. 

No doubt those 300km range missiles will end up being supplied, just a question of when. Just a guess but I’d say give it a couple of months. 

Not sure the Ukraine would risk such assets. I honestly think the US gave them long range missiles in limited amounts in order to conduct specific attacks.