Ukraine/Russian Conflict - General Discussion

Smithydog

The Ukraine / Russian conflict, war, special military operation, whatever you may call it, has sparked interest in many members. Opinions have been noted as decisively opposite and discussions have often been passionate. The interest in the subject warrants a dedicated thread for it.

This new thread is broad in design allowing general discussion on the following:

·       Opinions on specific events happening in the war. (e.g., battles, peace negotiations)

·       Military weaponry and tactics being used.

·       Solutions on how to bring about a truce.

·       Viable ways to bring about a final end to the conflict and to secure peace.

You are welcome to participate and express your opinion. The Forum allows different views to be presented. If using a video to support your opinion, only YouTube videos will be permitted, in line with previous decisions on allowable videos (e.g., Music videos). Videos from other media sources and areas like Telegram as an example, are not allowed.

The Forum is only interested in your opinion on the subject under discussion. Follow the rules expressed in the Forum Guidelines. Support your argument with sources you have taken the time to verify. Make no disparaging remarks about other members. Otherwise your opinion will simply not be seen.

Moderation Team

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Fantastic! My fave thread lives on!

Happy to see someone pleased! 

Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the requirements noted above to enable your opinion to be heard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Happy to see someone pleased! 

Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the requirements noted above to enable your opinion to be heard.

Polite is my middle name, so the rules don't worry me. Always happy to chat to the esteemed members here. My only regret is that we can't all meet for a booze up to rub off the edges. 

• Cool 1

This is how to use precision munitions to pinpoint fire, Boom.  Not lobbing missiles from miles away killing civilians in the process.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vlad said:

This is how to use precision munitions to pinpoint fire, Boom.  Not lobbing missiles from miles away killing civilians in the process.

Do any civilians live on that island? I thought it was military.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No just a few Russians till they ran off once a few shells were Dropped on them using precision artillery.

Hail Caesar instead of having a dagger stuck in your back have some of these French-supplied pieces of kit.

• Like 1

Peace will only come when Putin is gone by whatever means.

He is too far gone on demented rhetoric justifying his actions and there is no viable retreat for him.

Ukraine will not back down, and they shouldn't, and afterwards (many years) there will be endless claims for financial retribution against Russia for damages etc during the conflict.

If he starts with nuclear weapons there will be nothing left of Russia hopefully some may prevent this being able to happen.

The world cannot afford for this conflict to drag on into the new year and there will be a marked increase of foreign forces involvement to rid Ukraine of the aggressor, even in the territories that claim to want Russian control.

• Like 3

A few members asked if the Ukrainian forces had the best up-to-date equipment to take on Russia maybe at the start of the war they did not but with the help of the west they have more up-to-date Artillery and Air to Air defenses and are certainly a match for what Russia is using such as 60s Era missiles that are not precision-guided as used by Ukrainian forces. The Training is going well and will only improve as more equipment is delivered from the west as seen as the Rout from Snake Island from as seen French-made Caeser Howitzers they don't need 15-20 pieces 3-4 will take out most of what Russia has with devasting effect as seen in the video. Pinpoint the target fire then move before the Russian realize where it came from. Send a cheap Drone up to survey the damage then move on to the next target repeat process.

• Like 3

From all I can see, neither party is willing to back down.

The question is, who will first run out of men and/or equipment?

• Like 3
  • Cool 2

My Ukraine “Peace” Opinions: 

So suggested component subjects are peace, peace , weapons ….then peace again.This is clearly not intended as any general discussion. “Peace” Agenda already Set here.

Yet Peace Clearly Not Wanted by Either Side (at this time) so it’s currently a fanciful (understandable) sentiment, a Fantasy, which actually Disrespects the brave defiant Ukranians’ wishes.

Ukraine (and/ or Russia) Will Let Us Know if THEY change policy. Then we can certainly have meaningful Peace Discussions here. Russian can Stop this unilaterally at Any Time ….  right. That Clearly Ain’t Happening Either. That’s their “peace” intentions made quite clear😡

Thought: Ukraine ends up Partitioned like Korea ( thanks again, Russia) with Peace never formally declared.

Russia Lavrov alluded to “ peace” progress several weeks ago, calling “ peace negotiations” a “pretence” by Zelensky. Exactly. No Denial from Zelensky. Nor any present real Peace Initiative. How can it be Otherwise ? 

WW2 Allies had long since discarded Peace by 1942 (perhaps roughly where this War is at now). They & Ukraine realized there is NO Peace with Undefeated Fascist Aggression.Their & Ukraine Aims surely were /are Stop Losing, Start Winning, Recover Lands & Victory.

“Peace” right now is seriously for the birds…

Accordingly, “Ukraine” here for me breaks into Four New Threads:-

*Ukraine War: Peace Options 

*Ukraine War: Strategy, Operations & Tactics

*Ukraine War : Philosophy, Politics & Economics 

*Ukraine War: Outcome & Future

But For Now I’m Done with this Subject here😎

22 minutes ago, astro said:

From all I can see, neither party is willing to back down.

The question is, who will first run out of men and/or equipment?

Russia have already I believe run out of sufficient irreplaceable men.

Well, Astro the west ie Nato have stated they will supply Ukraine with anything they require to defeat Russian forces in Ukraine  "As long as it takes " so who is the money on to win? Russia is using out-of-date missiles fired from Tupolev Bombers from miles away as they cannot enter Air to Air combat zones controlled by Ukrainian defenses so they fire them miles away all they do is hit civilian areas like Apartment blocks and shopping centers as seen lately. Ukraine is using laser-guided artillery and missiles to hit Russian forces they are not deliberately shelling neighborhoods. 

A question oldscooler would you be prepared to sit down with Lavrov or Putin who has committed war crimes such as looting, thieving, and Raping, civilians continuously. Do you really think they can be trusted after how they told everyone there " Liberating " Ukraine? 

9 minutes ago, Fanta said:

To the last Ukrainian! 

To the last Ukrainian, "what"...?

24 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Russia have already I believe run out of sufficient irreplaceable men.

Really?

The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation,[note 1] commonly known as the Russian Armed Forces, are the combined military forces of Russia. They comprise the world's fifth-largest military in terms of active-duty personnel, with at least 2 million reserve personnel.

Active personnel1,014,000[3] (ranked 5th)

Reserve personnel2,000,000[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Armed_Forces

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, astro said:

Really?

The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation,[note 1] commonly known as the Russian Armed Forces, are the combined military forces of Russia. They comprise the world's fifth-largest military in terms of active-duty personnel, with at least 2 million reserve personnel.

Active personnel1,014,000[3] (ranked 5th)

Reserve personnel2,000,000[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Armed_Forces

Russia has a huge area/border to cover, thankfully.......😊

Like these hardened pro fighters Astro and there in the Donbas as well with sophisticated weaponry?

• Like 2

I reckon Russia will run out of viable equipment and the Ukraine of soldiers.

But Russia still has nukes...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, astro said:

The free word has an arsenal of nukes, and I would suggest that free world has done their homework and preparations for any naughty stuff from Heir Putin, and Heir Putin knows that.    😊

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, astro said:

Not that old Chestnut you can do better than that sounds like clutching at straws. I have to remind you Astro a Royal navy Trident class Nuke Sub will already be positioned to strike Russia if needed. the US and French have Nuclear options too if needed. So don't go down that Road.

• Like 1

After watching many vids from NATO and the UN, it would seem that collectively they want/will see Heir Putin fail, there is an air of confidence about that between them.

Reminds me of Saddam Hussain, had the fourth biggest army in the world, trashed in short order by modern armies brought in from around the world, most certainly surprised his lot. 😊

• Like 2

Are you going to comment on the capabilities of Russian conscripts against Battle-hardened Ukrainian forces fighting on their home soil? You have seen the video posted from a Russian angle so what about them.

• Like 1