News Forum - Price of made-to-order food surge in Thailand

Thaiger

Price inflation continues to rear its head in Thailand and across the globe. The latest item to get more expensive is made-to-order food. The average price per dish of made-to-order food bumped up by about 3.7 baht or 6.7% in May, according to a year-on-year comparison by the food delivery app Line Man Wongnai. The report said that dishes with pork have remained around the same price, however, prices on chicken dishes have been spiking since March. Pork dishes cost from 64-69 baht on average in the first half of 2022, while dishes with other meats ranged from 64-80 baht. […]

The story Price of made-to-order food surge in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

We have never ordered food from outside.  We cook our own and unless people live in a rabbit hutch of a condo, are ill, drunk as a skunk, playing poker with mates, hate the sun/rain/the dark,  then only feckless lazy types, with little regard for their own health and well being,  order in regularly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

We have never ordered food from outside.  We cook our own and unless people live in a rabbit hutch of a condo, are ill, drunk as a skunk, playing poker with mates, hate the sun/rain/the dark,  then only feckless lazy types, with little regard for their own health and well being,  order in regularly. 

Your post was a bit vague, Kh Pinetree.

I don't think many of us will grasp the subtlety of it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No mention of why prices have risen, & it's not just because of hiking.

As we all know, Gasoline prices have risen dramatically, & this increase is passed on to the consumer. 

15 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Your post was a bit vague, Kh Pinetree.

I don't think many of us will grasp the subtlety of it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The message is a bit hidden I admit.

All tongue in cheek fun of course.    😀

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

then only feckless lazy types, with little regard for their own health and well being,  order in regularly.

'feckless lazy types' - you've got me sussed.

21 minutes ago, Faraday said:

No mention of why prices have risen, & it's not just because of hiking.

As we all know, Gasoline prices have risen dramatically, & this increase is passed on to the consumer. 

If it was delivered by hiking, there would be no fuel charge, although it would no doubt be cold by the time it arrived, have to walk all that distance.

• Haha 1

The dish known as khao phat kaphrao, made with meat, basil, and garlic, was 62.2 baht in northeast Thailand.

I don't believe that is representative of what most everyday Thai eating places charge. I would say that the normal price is 40 Baht plus 10 Baht if the customer wants a fried egg on top (although some places still only charge 5 Baht for the egg but that is rare nowadays).

Its like a chain if one in the chain go up they all have to go up  but you can not aloude the gas prices go up and tell everybody who use gas for cooking they are not aloude to go up also 

I have a proposal for a new venture.  Its  a bit like Grab, but we will not only deliver the food, but stay to feed it into the open  mouth of the lazy git who ordered it.   Ideas for the trading name of this new and innovative service will be welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

I have a proposal for a new venture.  Its  a bit like Grab, but we will not only deliver the food, but stay to feed it into the open  mouth of the lazy git who ordered it.   Ideas for the trading name of this new and innovative service will be welcome. 

Will premastication be available as an optional extra at all?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Loong said:

I don't believe that is representative of what most everyday Thai eating places charge. I would say that the normal price is 40 Baht plus 10 Baht if the customer wants a fried egg on top (although some places still only charge 5 Baht for the egg but that is rare nowadays).

confirmed..i eat out daily   just few hours ago   pad gra pow was 40 bt   egg can go from 5-10 so 45-50 w/egg

i have never paid 60....only if i get chicken cashew--large size with fried egg...so i call BS on the article too

11 hours ago, Pinetree said:

pan2mouth

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also check weight and contents. The chicken nuggets I buy was 10 in a box now 8. Chicken wings before 4 now 3. Biscuits in a box before 10 packets now eight. Prawn curry now maybe half number of prawns.

11 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Will premastication be available as an optional extra at all?

Love it when you talk dirty .... 55

... ideal for those with no teeth.

I'm with Pinetree, cooking at home is super easy and nutritious compared with take out or Grab grub.  I do keep a couple of 7 11 green curry ezy meals in the freezer for emergencies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Love it when you talk dirty .... 55

... ideal for those with no teeth.

I'm with Pinetree, cooking at home is super easy and nutritious compared with take out or Grab grub.  I do keep a couple of 7 11 green curry ezy meals in the freezer for emergencies.

As an aside, what about the character in Star Wars, when becomes old and loses his teeth, will he be known as Gumbacca or Suckbacca?

• Haha 2

So Mr. Jurin goes down the market and asks why a local stall holder has increased his pork prices by 30%. “Go and ask the wholesaler” replies the stall holder. So Mr. Jurin asks the wholesaler why he’s increased his prices. “Go ask the pig farmer” replies the wholesaler. So Mr. Jurin goes to see the pig farmer. “Go and ask my pig feed supplier” says the farmer. So Mr. Jurin visits the pig feed supplier. “Because the world price of commodities like corn and soy have gone through the roof, not to mention fuel costs for transportation Mr. Jurin. What would you like to do about it?” replies the feed supplier. Sometimes I wonder about the mentality of politicians.

Edited by Leeshard
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Leeshard said:

So Mr. Jurin goes down the market and asks why a local stall holder has increased his pork prices by 30%. “Go and ask the wholesaler” replies the stall holder. So Mr. Jurin asks the wholesaler why he’s increased his prices. “Go ask the pig farmer” replies the wholesaler. So Mr. Jurin goes to see the pig farmer. “Go and ask my pig feed supplier” says the farmer. So Mr. Jurin visits the pig feed supplier. “Because the world price of commodities like corn and soy have gone through the roof, not to mention fuel costs for transportation Mr. Jurin. What would you like to do about it?” replies the feed supplier. Sometimes I wonder about the mentality of politicians.

So in  4 steps of inflationary impact the  acummlatiive impact is  approaching 100%  in many instances ! No !  Gouging   to the max  !

• Angry 1

How can the government regulate the price of retail goods?  Are we doing state capitalism here like post WW2 Japan?

High demand and consumption is one factor causing inflation.

I always see high wastage of food. Food dishes ordered but not consumed and thrown away. 

Also garnish on food with vegetables are unnecessary and is also a form of wastage which can be consumed.