News Forum - Pink and Yellow monorail lines will be in service in 2023

Thaiger

The lives of Bangkok commuters are about to become a lot easier after news broke yesterday that trial runs were being scheduled in October on the Pink and Yellow monorail lines. The 52.6 billion baht Pink Line is about 14% away from being finished while the 49 billion baht Yellow Line’s construction is 93% complete. Commuters will be able to use the monorail trains sometime between January and March next year following Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob’s inspection of the lines’ development this week. According to information published in 2016, transportation authorities predicted that each route will experience between 190,000 and […]

The story Pink and Yellow monorail lines will be in service in 2023 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

It is very much a symptom of authoritarian regimes to build spectacular or monolithic edifices to impress the people and even other countries...... Bangkok's city rail system seems to fall into this category. The MRT and BTS were initially almost useless as they only chugged around the centre of the city. It still remains to be proven how much the monorails will improve life for the average citizens of Bangkok and the hinterland. Will they service commuters or just help short journeys? Will their introduction reduce the number of motor vehicle actually entering te nine city ever day, or will they just look good?

55 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

The MRT and BTS were initially almost useless as they only chugged around the centre of the city

MRT, BTS and SRT are essential. Can't imagine not having them. I'm also very much looking forward to the monorail that services Chaeng Watthana. The BRT is worthless, but their not expanding that system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

MRT, BTS and SRT are essential. Can't imagine not having them. I'm also very much looking forward to the monorail that services Chaeng Watthana. The BRT is worthless, but their not expanding that system.

they have extended the lines a bit now - but when I lived in inner BKK that served no purpose for me. Those living in the outer reaches of BKK - couldn't commute and they did nothing to reduce traffic.

The problem being that originally they were status projects and detailed research into things like environmental impact, numbers of buildings removed, numbers of expected passengers weren't carried out  with any thoroughness.

As far as I'm aware there is only one BRT is use. Again a lot of this underlines the fact the Bangkok does noy have a coherent public transport plan and most of the projects are either status or knee-jerk.

Edited by Khunwilko

2 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

they have extended the lines a bit now - but when I lived in inner BKK that served no purpose for me. Those living in the outer reaches of BKK - couldn't commute and they did nothing to reduce traffic.

The problem being that originally they were status projects and detailed research into things like environmental impact, numbers of buildings removed, numbers of expected passengers weren't carried out  with any thoroughness.

As far as I'm aware there is only one BRT is use. Again a lot of this underlines the fact the Bangkok does noy have a coherent public transport plan and most of the projects are either status or knee-jerk.

Why do you say there is no coherent plan?

I am no public transportation expert, so I wouldn't know but the build outs seem to be used widely and building up sections of Bangkok that weren't as populous or reachable before

I personally love their transit system

• Like 1

because there is no coherent plane - there is no [policy to integrate, train, bus canal river and cars no surveys of traffic and the road and rail building programs seldom relate to each other or even confer. 

I think because there is a system from where you live to where you work, you think the whole system must be working. Yet this is only from a personal perspective....not n overview.

Edited by Khunwilko

7 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

It is very much a symptom of authoritarian regimes to build spectacular or monolithic edifices to impress the people and even other countries...... Bangkok's city rail system seems to fall into this category. The MRT and BTS were initially almost useless as they only chugged around the centre of the city. It still remains to be proven how much the monorails will improve life for the average citizens of Bangkok and the hinterland. Will they service commuters or just help short journeys? Will their introduction reduce the number of motor vehicle actually entering te nine city ever day, or will they just look good?

Nonsense. The BTS and MRT are  unqualified success stories. Clean and popular they move millions and  are the reason why  Bangkok traffic is not at a complete standstill. The BMA and the population keep the system safe and clean. Quite a contrast to the filthy travesty that is the London tube, the violent and filthy NYC subway and the Paris metro that stinks of month old urine and vagrants. I hold the BTS in high regard and appreciate its efficiency. 

34 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

because there is no coherent plane - there is no [policy to integrate, train, bus canal river and cars no surveys of traffic and the road and rail building programs seldom relate to each other or even confer. 

I think because there is a system from where you live to where you work, you think the whole system must be working. Yet this is only from a personal perspective....not n overview.

As I said I am not an expert I am just going by my own personal service

I do know that my wife just moved to Nonthaburi and their MRT is fairly new and definitely has a defined plan to connect to the BTS

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Nonsense. The BTS and MRT are  unqualified success stories. Clean and popular they move millions and  are the reason why  Bangkok traffic is not at a complete standstill. The BMA and the population keep the system safe and clean. Quite a contrast to the filthy travesty that is the London tube, the violent and filthy NYC subway and the Paris metro that stinks of month old urine and vagrants. I hold the BTS in high regard and appreciate its efficiency. 

As I said I can only go by personal experience and I think the BTS is one of the best systems I have ever encountered

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

As I said I am not an expert I am just going by my own personal service

I do know that my wife just moved to Nonthaburi and their MRT is fairly new and definitely has a defined plan to connect to the BTS

Precisely - not an overview.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

I've explained my argument - you appear to be merely gainsaying and your clim of unqualified "success" is based on what?

40 minutes ago, Khunwilko said:

I've explained my argument - you appear to be merely gainsaying and your clim of unqualified "success" is based on what?

Holy shit......what a douche

I have replied both times that I am not an expert, I asked you your opinion

Why are 90% of the people on this forum such douche heads?

Calm down, I am not attacking you, I am asking your opinion and have given mine

• Like 1

I love the rail sytem in BKK and always use it to my advantage when needed. Rail, taxi, motorbike taxis and even walking to point to point to meet and hit the next mode point of ideal travel in BKK makes moving around certain areas so great and fast. When they finally get the ones like to Impact Arena and then the one finished and open to Ramkamhaeng out near Soi 118 and or Soi Mistine, then I finally have a free rein and control to buzz everywhere I need to go in the city that I do for meetings and family nd friend visits. Oh, Samut Sakhon area if not already that far out.

If any one tries to diss the rails, then I would be at a loss for words to put it nicely, but then would have to say that that person should be commited to an institution, or say that that person has no idea how great this system works and how far advanced it is and is plainly fully illiterate and full of buffalo dung. Been heres so long that I watched it start from scratch back in the day and then expand and progress. But that was a little slow in and out over the years but is still fabulous and finally has elevated oitself to sheer travel greatness. May be the best thing Bangkok has done to date.  I used to use th boat waqtr ay transportation but hose days are far and few between, but I can say that I use the electric rails every single time I am in Bangkok. I know areas and traffic times and how to tool around and never be late. A +++

11 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

HUH? Do you really travel around in Bangkok or not? It is not a to be or not to be. Not even a question as in questionable.. The rails are great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Why do you say there is no coherent plan?

I am no public transportation expert, so I wouldn't know but the build outs seem to be used widely and building up sections of Bangkok that weren't as populous or reachable before

I personally love their transit system

I travel for meetings in bangko and use it from the airport Suvarnabhumi to downtown. Superb and sounds like now almost reaching greatness of OMG. 

4 hours ago, Khunwilko said:

There is a vast choice of transport in the city. I use everything. Train to point C, then point b using motorcyle taxi to get me to point C, walk a few blocks, taxi, boat, and the only thing missing is the old traditional buffalo. I have been using transportation methods of all sort in Bangkok to make meetings and get to points of need. Even the boats. If you don'tknow and don't use them then you really should not coment. I give it a Grade A. 

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Holy shit......what a douche

I have replied both times that I am not an expert, I asked you your opinion

Why are 90% of the people on this forum such douche heads?

Calm down, I am not attacking you, I am asking your opinion and have given mine

Marc26, the system is realy good and now getting really great fantastic. Over the years I use all modes as it makes things so reachable for what i do to get to places on time.. Anyone who disses the trains and system expansion and other modes you use inbetween stops hasn't a fricken clue what they are talking about. I am a pro using these things to get to meetings and everything inbetween. More lines opening and I am in awe. And I mean I literlly use all as in train to a stop, to motorcylce taxi to connect me to something else as anything I can use to get me where I need to be at the time I need to be ther is a success for me. Even thsoe MRT or commuter vans.  Add in the next expansion and it is almost sureal what we can do and where we can go. Example. Airport link to Suvarnabhumi, Van bus from Suvarnbhumi to Pattaya. Stupid example but once they go to Ramkamhaeng Soi Mistine and to Impact arena and Don Muang, then  it is all a done thing and probably the best city transport system I have ever had the priviledge to use. 

• Like 1

Another vote of support for Bangkok’s Rail system. As an occasional visitor it’s quick, easy to use, comfortable and affordable. In fact our choice of Bangkok hotel, the Shangri-La is formed in considerable part by the rail system.

Not quite knowledgable enough to make use of the boat network, a bit like London busses compared to the underground.

Bangkok sees huge financial benefit from public transport investment.

• Like 1

The BTS is used by the people who would otherwise use their own vehicle and that is why it has been the most successful option in reducing vehicular caused pollution. The reality is that if the MRT and BTS were to shut down, the city would be paralyzed. Pre covid, the BTS was carrying 750,000 people a day. The most conservative of estimates would have that as taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road. 

On a personal note I used BTS regularly, with the MRT less frequently. The route to the airport is a personal favourite.  I doubt that the 750,000 users cared much for the bankrupt views of some euro centric leftist and would prefer a continued expansion of the routes.

• Like 1