News Forum - CAAT insists air travellers still need to mask up on Thai flights

Thaiger

11 hours ago, Saunk said:

Guarantee you he didn't tell anyone to do anything, people just love to talk.  Especially the wake folks.

Oh yes I did. So now you call me a liar.

• Haha 1

Wearing masks on board isn’t a rule with a penalty”. That’s a pity. Still, I presume they missed out the word ‘Not’.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WilliamG said:

No, most people I told said Oooops sorry, and put the mask on.

I'm curious to know what the others said, I know what I'd have said though!!

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

15 hours ago, HighSo said:

Recommended.

So not a rule. No penalty.

Will check soon on a domestic flight. Nice.

Wrong the CAAT make recommendations on what the rules should be. They recommend that masks are needed therefore no change to the rules. 

• Like 1

Airplanes use hepa filters to filter cabin air. Planes are specifically designed to use them. Otherwise on long flights the air would get stagnant. The slowly insert outside air to refresh the cabin air bypassing the hepa filters. Other wise the filter would get water logged.  Ever see a mist form in side a cabin? That's because the air coming in contains too much outside moisture. Usually happens when sitting on the tarmac. They use hepa filters exactly for this reason to keep their clients from getting sick from other travelers.  US airlines have argue this point for years.

4 minutes ago, ibgort said:

Airplanes use hepa filters to filter cabin air. Planes are specifically designed to use them. Otherwise on long flights the air would get stagnant. The slowly insert outside air to refresh the cabin air bypassing the hepa filters. Other wise the filter would get water logged.  Ever see a mist form in side a cabin? That's because the air coming in contains too much outside moisture. Usually happens when sitting on the tarmac. They use hepa filters exactly for this reason to keep their clients from getting sick from other travelers.  US airlines have argue this point for years.

This relies on the maintenance being up to date and although most aircraft use ceiling to floor ventilation it still doesn't stop you getting sick from the selfish ahole next to you that is coughing all over the place unmasked. So I will still be wearing an N95/P2 when flying whether the rules say it's mandatory or not. When I'm in Thailand my time is precious and I don't want to lose days or more being sick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I put my mask on before he got to me, didn't want to have to deal with him

That was all he wanted.

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes but it is bizarre that they give out food, people are in the middle of taking bites of the food, are asked a question and answer it, then threatened by the person

The guy was a raving nutjob, trust me

I saw it going down and even though I thought he was being ridiculous, I put my mask on before he got to me, didn't want to have to deal with him

I did exactly what you did.  It was like playing a silly game.  That irate flight attendant may be on stress leave now, but some kind of announcement prior to meal service would have gone a long ways to improve the situation for everyone.

Out for a run yesterday, saw the old Thai fellow helping his Mia Noi into the rented house he pays for.  She was in her nurse uniform, just returned from work at one of the local petri dish hospitals.  In close contact with each other, fumbling around with keys to the door, neither were wearing masks.   

Saw him several minutes later, driving his 1992 Isuzu at old-man slower-is-safer speed out of the moo baan, belching the usual amount of toxic exhaust smoke, alone in the car, windows up, a/c on, face mask on........ but no seat belt. 

My next pass around the circuit, she was out in the front garden, alone, still in uniform, watering the plants, wearing a face mask. 🙃

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

This relies on the maintenance being up to date and although most aircraft use ceiling to floor ventilation it still doesn't stop you getting sick from the selfish ahole next to you that is coughing all over the place unmasked. So I will still be wearing an N95/P2 when flying whether the rules say it's mandatory or not. When I'm in Thailand my time is precious and I don't want to lose days or more being sick. 

you will be wearing a mask, why

Flew in yesterday morning via Bahrain. First time I touched a mask was when I showed my Thailand pass. I then took it off right after clearing immigration. 

No one said anything in the plane, and apart from the one jobsworth, in the airport..

I'm done with Masks.

Been quite a few places today in Hua Hin, 99% of the sheeple wearing them. Good luck to them if that's what they want to do. I expect it will take a month or two. 

One fruit vendor I spoke to said he didn't care about it, but wore it because potential customers might be scared to buy if he didn't. Understandable viewpoint. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, HighSo said:

And then surely all people said „ohhh the big WilliamG told me to be a good obedient sheeple, so I will do“

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Been quite a few places today in Hua Hin, 99% of the sheeple wearing them. Good luck to them if that's what they want to do. I expect it will take a month or two. 

The term 'sheeple' is both derogatory and offensive. It's the type of rhetoric I'd expect to hear in a children's playground, not from supposedly grown men. The next time I observe either you two or another member use that term, I can promise a free holiday.

For other members, if you're referred to in this term in the future, please 'report' it to the moderators as 'derogatory and offensive' - we'll do the rest!

Moderator.

• Thanks 2

My wife has started not wearing a mask here in Vancouver

To be honest, I was surprised because she always had her mask on

I figured she'd wear it for quite a long time or regularly going forward

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, WilliamG said:

I do not like wearing a mask and think they are pretty useless, but if the rules to fly on an aeroplane say you must wear one, you do it.

You can do whatever you wish apart from telling others what to do. It is very simple.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Flew in yesterday morning via Bahrain. First time I touched a mask was when I showed my Thailand pass. I then took it off right after clearing immigration. 

No one said anything in the plane, and apart from the one jobsworth, in the airport..

I'm done with Masks.

One fruit vendor I spoke to said he didn't care about it, but wore it because potential customers might be scared to buy if he didn't. Understandable viewpoint. 

I went to the airport last month, twice. Was inside the terminal for quite a while. Didn't wear a mask at all. No one said anything and I wasn't the only one. At least 5-7% of all people weren't wearing one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My wife has started not wearing a mask here in Vancouver

To be honest, I was surprised because she always had her mask on

I figured she'd wear it for quite a long time or regularly going forward

She must have looked like the odd one out wearing one, as no one wears masks anymore in the west, aside from surgeons and dentists and then only when they are performing their jobs.

This is going to be more an issue on Thai domestic flights and inbound flights on Thailand registered carriers only. Foreign carriers, operating flights to/from Thailand won't be enforcing it. It's too much hassle at this point as so many passengers just don't wear them anymore, often because in the origin or destination country, it's no longer a requirement.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

She must have looked like the odd one out wearing one, as no one wears masks anymore in the west, aside from surgeons and dentists and then only when they are performing their jobs.

Not true at all in Vancouver

I'd say about 15% of people wear masks, maybe a bit less

10 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I went to the airport last month, twice. Was inside the terminal for quite a while. Didn't wear a mask at all. No one said anything and I wasn't the only one. At least 5-7% of all people weren't wearing one.

So many?

On 7/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, ibgort said:

Can speech and a uncovered sneeze from nearby passengers be filtered proficiently before it reaches unsuspecting passengers within 6 meters, me thinks not!

Masking up makes sense  !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:33 AM, WilliamG said:

So many?

I wouldn't say that's many, we're talking 1/20 people. I am including children though, including some that were maybe 8 or 10 years old. Most unmasked children I saw were either luk-khreung (Eurasian or Thai-western), western or from other non-Thai backgrounds, such as Indian or Middle Eastern. Thais almost universally wore their masks, including very young children.

A lot of people didn't have masks on in the check-in line. They might have removed them because it was becoming hard to breathe, to later put them back on again (obviously I didn't stick around to check that! None of my business but I am assuming that's what people do).

I also noticed people leaving airport restaurants without putting a mask back on. My Thai friend and a mutual Dutch friend didn't put their masks back on after leaving the restaurant. I didn't wear one at all. I did walk out clenching my coffee cup, which I was sipping as there was still some leftover. My Thai friend then put her mask back on as we parted ways, before going into the toilet. Her husband had his mask on even while seated at the restaurant, and so did the Australian husband of our Dutch friend! I assume our female Dutch friend put her mask back on upon reaching security.

12 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I wouldn't say that's many, we're talking 1/20 people. I am including children though, including some that were maybe 8 or 10 years old. Most unmasked children I saw were either luk-khreung (Eurasian or Thai-western), western or from other non-Thai backgrounds, such as Indian or Middle Eastern. Thais almost universally wore their masks, including very young children.

A lot of people didn't have masks on in the check-in line. They might have removed them because it was becoming hard to breathe, to later put them back on again (obviously I didn't stick around to check that! None of my business but I am assuming that's what people do).

I also noticed people leaving airport restaurants without putting a mask back on. My Thai friend and a mutual Dutch friend didn't put their masks back on after leaving the restaurant. I didn't wear one at all. I did walk out clenching my coffee cup, which I was sipping as there was still some leftover. My Thai friend then put her mask back on as we parted ways, before going into the toilet. Her husband had his mask on even while seated at the restaurant, and so did the Australian husband of our Dutch friend! I assume our female Dutch friend put her mask back on upon reaching security.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic when I said 'So Many'.

Why would it be harder to breath in the Check In line than in say the coffee shop line? Just asking.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, Tim_Melb said:

It is not YOU who needs to be wearing a mask, which is primarily to stop YOU giving any virus if you cough, sneeze or even talk. It is the one sitting next to you who needs one. So YOU should tell HIM/HER/IT.

3 hours ago, WilliamG said:

It is not YOU who needs to be wearing a mask, which is primarily to stop YOU giving any virus if you cough, sneeze or even talk. It is the one sitting next to you who needs one. So YOU should tell HIM/HER/IT.

Absolutely right but when the governments and airlines let these people stop wearing masks and they are too selfish and stupid to voluntarily wear them I have no choice but to wear an N95/P2, gloves and a face shield and hope I get enough protection from their disease ridden ass. 

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Absolutely right but when the governments and airlines let these people stop wearing masks and they are too selfish and stupid to voluntarily wear them I have no choice but to wear an N95/P2, gloves and a face shield and hope I get enough protection from their disease ridden ass. 

That's no way to live Tim, how long will you make the choice to PPE up like this?

Do you put your suit of armour on in all the other, more risky settings than a plane that you frequent in your day to day life?