News Forum - Thai PM promises to accelerate Thailand’s electric vehicle future

Thaiger

The Thai PM wants to cement Thailand’s reputation as the biggest SE Asian hub for car manufacturing, and electric cars too. Currently Thailand is the world’s 10th largest manufacturer of vehicles (OICA 2021). Some of the world’s leading automobile manufacturers – Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Suzuki, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Ford, Volvo and BMW – have manufacturing plants in Thailand. Last year, the production volume of automobiles was 1.69 million. The export volume of automobiles in Thailand was over 850,000 units. Now Thailand is aiming to assemble electric vehicles, aka. EVs, and parts. domestically within the next year. This accelerates the […]

The story Thai PM promises to accelerate Thailand’s electric vehicle future as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Growth in the vehicle manufacturing industry is great for Thailand, especially the export market in new vehicles and parts.

I still wonder at the potential for EV sales growth due to the high purchase cost - those tiny little Ora's for example @ Bt1m or more and reliability of some (eg MG) has been questionable.

Charging via EV Stations is one thing but single-household electrical systems should have to be approved by PEA otherwise fires can develop and consume both car and house.

Go for EXPORT, not local consumption!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Growth in the vehicle manufacturing industry is great for Thailand, especially the export market in new vehicles and parts.

I still wonder at the potential for EV sales growth due to the high purchase cost - those tiny little Ora's for example @ Bt1m or more and reliability of some (eg MG) has been questionable.

Charging via EV Stations is one thing but single-household electrical systems should have to be approved by PEA otherwise fires can develop and consume both car and house.

EV as a future means of transportation is a farce soon to be realised. The environmentalists pushing it know nothing about the infrastructure needed to support EV’s and politicians are being pressured to convert their countries to EV’s. Most countries electrical grids couldn’t handle the power demand. The charging stations would have to be immense as each EV takes 30 mins to top up and much longer to charge. Their battery only has a life of about 10 years and then the replacement cost is worth more than the car. EV’s are only one option and not a good one. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Giltee said:

EV as a future means of transportation is a farce soon to be realised. The environmentalists pushing it know nothing about the infrastructure needed to support EV’s and politicians are being pressured to convert their countries to EV’s. Most countries electrical grids couldn’t handle the power demand. The charging stations would have to be immense as each EV takes 30 mins to top up and much longer to charge. Their battery only has a life of about 10 years and then the replacement cost is worth more than the car. EV’s are only one option and not a good one. 

I agree. 

China has massive storage areas with 1,000's  (perhaps x 100) of brand new EV's sitting, collecting dust due to their 'green' and 'share' schemes which provided subsidies to manufacturers.  I was interested to note that one site held cars from 5 years ago and despite being brand new (with faded paint) they were worthless.  Replacement battery cost more than the car value.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Giltee said:

Tell that to The people who glue themselves to the road !  
Thanks for the reading between the lines comment.
Another learning experience, free on Thethaiger.

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

I agree. 

China has massive storage areas with 1,000's  (perhaps x 100) of brand new EV's sitting, collecting dust due to their 'green' and 'share' schemes which provided subsidies to manufacturers.  I was interested to note that one site held cars from 5 years ago and despite being brand new (with faded paint) they were worthless.  Replacement battery cost more than the car value.

You would think at such high costs the greenies would perfect the logistics before the Ev!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, riclag said:

You would think at such high costs the greenies would perfect the logistics before the Ev!

Why bring reality into ideology?

4 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

The real opportunity future might be in the 2 wheeled versions. There has been a lot of new design and development (by all the makers), and we are going to soon be seeing more options in the showrooms. 

Am I the only one imagining cables coming out of every apartment window, and down and across the street because there is zero infrastructure for private resident charging? ;-)
If we thought the cable spaghetti on every street pole was fun; just wait for EV Thailand!

21 minutes ago, UncleFatBloke said:

Am I the only one imagining cables coming out of every apartment window, and down and across the street because there is zero infrastructure for private resident charging? ;-)
If we thought the cable spaghetti on every street pole was fun; just wait for EV Thailand!

I don't think twin core speaker flex and 10amp plugs would handle it 🤣  More feasible is bulldog clips running from power lines or adjacent premises input side of meter?  🙄  Don't laugh, it will happen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1