News Forum - Thai health chief received special drug due to obesity, not privilege

Thaiger

A Thai doctor and netizens have questioned the Covid-19 treatment plan in Thailand after the Deputy PM and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul received a Molnupiravir shot even though he only had mild symptoms. The Department of Medical Services insisted that no special privileges were involved and the politician received the vaccine because he is considered to be in a high-risk group due to his obesity. The Molnupiravir vaccine can help reduce the severity of coronavirus and death rates by about 30%. Three months ago, the Department of Medical Services announced that Molnupiravir was included in the kingdom’s Covid treatment […]

The story Thai health chief received special drug due to obesity, not privilege as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Paxlovid and monulivirpir (sp) is supposed to be given early in the infection — not by degree of severity. That means paxlovid should be given to high risk patients immediately after testing. 

He should receive it as well as everyone else in the high risk group. Now is the time for the government to prove the high risk are in fact getting these drugs. 

I love how they’re complaining about a 10,000 baht treatment as though shutting down the country or risking death are cheaper options.

If deaths are driven near 0 (as they currently are) then what does it matter when there’s the inevitable rise in cases. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The Department of Medical Services insisted that no special privileges were involved and the politician received the vaccine because he is considered to be in a high-risk group due to his obesity.

It's official! A Nut In here is a fat b'stard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Paxlovid and monulivirpir (sp) is supposed to be given early in the infection — not by degree of severity. That means paxlovid should be given to high risk patients immediately after testing. 

Aside that this medicine is warehoused. And has a 6 month storability, only. SOMEONE has to get it!

Cost for Favipiravir 800 bht .Thats what they give out in the hospitals to treat covid.

Cost for monulivirpir  10k is what he was given

Love the pic featuring the two most publicity hunting people in the country. One who forced a well nigh useless Chinese vaccine onto tens of millions and the other who spends his time regurgitating information that is published in every crappy newspaper around the world. They deserve each other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Aside that this medicine is warehoused. And has a 6 month storability, only. SOMEONE has to get it!

Does it really?

I’m not an expert in the shelf life but I do remember reading about the 6months “expiration” for the vaccines and I believe this was only driven by the US FDA limiting shelf life for all EUA drugs to 6 months — it doesn’t actually have anything to do with the shelf life for the actual ingredients. And viola the vaccines were magically extended beyond 1 year as big batches were nearing “expiry”.

But generally if you diagnose flu early you should generally take tamiflu or another flu antiviral. If you have covid, you should get the antiviral  

The fact that they are not treating covid patients with available medications but have been forcing HEALTHY people to wear masks, take vaccines, and other ridiculous prevention methods have been so infuriating

I will give the CDC and Thai DDC a hint: you can’t get covid from a healthy person. 

7 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I will give the CDC and Thai DDC a hint: you can’t get covid from a healthy person. 

But to know, if the one in front of you is "healthy" or just "asymptomatic", you would need to test on daily basis! That 's the problem, masks did overcome that a little.

• Like 1

So this guy is not only racist and incompetent but he is also fat - what a great example, an unhealthy 55 years old Health Minister.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul received a Molnupiravir shot even though he only had mild symptoms.

... (+ 6 covid vaccine injections). And he is also a drug addict.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s nonsense. The wealthy and privileged get the right treatment while common thai citizens get bromhexine, CPM 4mg, paracetamol 500mg and lozenges. That’s a fact someone dear to me got this treatment just 5 days. She is in the risk category. One her child brought the virus from school home. Infected his siblings including a 2 years child and mother.  Thai hospitals and health care gave this treatment 

shame on them 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, js89 said:

He most categorically does not look obese. I'm sure he could have found a more credible excuse

image.png.42df8b8df1453c5115755f73d605bd3c.png

Nah, 'the photo was taken at an odd angle'.
Isn't that the same excuse he used a few months ago?

1 hour ago, Doublye said:

It’s nonsense. The wealthy and privileged get the right treatment while common thai citizens get bromhexine, CPM 4mg, paracetamol 500mg and lozenges. That’s a fact someone dear to me got this treatment just 5 days. She is in the risk category. One her child brought the virus from school home. Infected his siblings including a 2 years child and mother.  Thai hospitals and health care gave this treatment 

shame on them 

This is fact of life. Reality hurts sometimes

1 hour ago, Doublye said:

shame on them 

No doubt this fits Pryut's definition of Unity  :(

10 hours ago, Guest1 said:

But to know, if the one in front of you is "healthy" or just "asymptomatic", you would need to test on daily basis! That 's the problem, masks did overcome that a little.

My point is that’s it’s easier and cheaper to treat the sick than it is to force healthy people to do things to (unsuccessfully) prevent infection. 

But still many public health authorities focus on making healthy people (nevermind that they probably already had covid) to do things to “prevent” infection. 

• Like 1

No one believes you Anutin and your cronies.

And you are not obese. If your figure is the definition then the country has a 90% obesity problem (and a lot of them work in the bars in Pattaya), so you need to get off your officially classified lardy arse and start sorting that out as the health minister.

What a surprise that the official line is a ridiculous lie that everyone can see through.

All to protect another high profile member of the elite from accusations of special treatment.

Why don't they get real and say 'I'm rich, I'm powerful so I get special treatment because that's the way it is'.

Everyone knows it so cut the crap trying to save face.

16 hours ago, Manu said:

So this guy is not only racist and incompetent but he is also fat - what a great example, an unhealthy 55 years old Health Minister.

... (+ 6 covid vaccine injections). And he is also a drug addict.

He is also "responsible" for Thailand having the current government. Check his political past.

• Like 1

No special treatment, huh?  If you believe that I know of some prime ocean-front property in Chiang Rai you'd probably be interested in...

The B.S in thai media and behaviour knows no bounds. However for the benefit of readers, I note Anutin the Health minister was entitled to the anti viral drug because he was note overweight/obese. Please note there is a difference between these categories. I believe entitlement in thai law, was due to being obese, it appears the good treating Dr  attempted to blurr these lines. Overweight by definition is when you are up to 20% over the deemed upper limit of ideal weight for your height and age. For example on the BMI index from 25-30 BMI you are deemed overweight,  over that limit you are deemed obese. Just looking at the health minister he looks more in the overweight range to me than obese. So go figure. Nontheless the good reader listeners to this news outlet would well know he could get what he wanted when he wanted it. On Following the allopathic medical model of anti viral drugs and the 6 vaccines he has had, good luck. I would hesitate to go with any of them to protect me from sars covid 2.  Dr .....

Now if the drug worked on shutting his mouth then I think nobody would have a problem and he might even get donations from too many to pay for it. 

• Haha 1

He has an audience beyond his diplomatic capacity whenever he's up in the Alps.

He may be a fat bigoted billionaire bozo, but he has impressive connections. 

Edited by Venusianhart

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but Asian BMI is different to Western BMI. He could well be borderline obese. It doesn't mean being an absolute chonker anyway, many of us are very probably borderline obese on the BMI.