News Forum - Majority of international travel to Phuket is from India

Thaiger

The majority of international visitors to Phuket since the beginning of 2022 came from India, but half of the hotels on the island remain closed as they wait for the high season to begin. Even if the numbers of arrivals doubled by the end of the year, Phuket’s tourist numbers are still falling well short of pre-Covid levels. Between May and June, there were around 52,000 Indian travellers in Phuket, followed by Singaporeans, just under 20,000 travellers during the same time. With direct flights from Thai Smile Airways, Go First Airlines and Indigo Airlines linking Phuket with major cities like […]

The story Majority of international travel to Phuket is from India as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Was just down there and yes it is all way too true. Not so fun when over-run. Just happens the 2 most populated countries in the world have folk that are very hard to deal with when overkill saturation. My 2 kids never experienced the over-run like that and my daughter immedialtey requested we move from Patong and so we went to Kata. Ao Nang wasn't any better than Patong, but that at least was our last stop of our holiday.

Everything in moderation, and I have a mental note rmemebr their travel season period.

8 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Was just down there and yes it is all way too true. Not so fun when over-run. Just happens the 2 most populated countries in the world have folk that are very hard to deal with when overkill saturation. My 2 kids never experienced the over-run like that and my daughter immedialtey requested we move from Patong and so we went to Kata. Ao Nang wasn't any better than Patong, but that at least was our last stop of our holiday.

Everything in moderation, and I have a mental note rmemebr their travel season period.

My wife's aunt worked on Bangla many moons ago, and said she wanted to go down one night to check it out

We ended up going to Patong beach one day and after walking around and seeing the ummm, "demographic change", she said she didn't want to go back at night

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

My wife's aunt worked on Bangla many moons ago, and said she wanted to go down one night to check it out

We ended up going to Patong beach one day and after walking around and seeing the ummm, "demographic change", she said she didn't want to go back at night

In a way don’t blame her a bit. For me and the kids it was not what we were looking for in feeling and in tourists from the country mentioned. Our hotel rooms encounters a few really noisy ones slamming doors and such. Just wasn’t pleasant for us in Patpong and it was quite expensive if you ask me for mediocre at best food. May be a single man with a wad of cash it is the place to have some fun, but for I gave it a pass. Changed way too much since was there last. Now just a little south was A-OK. 

Interesting to see the comments about visitors from India.
Back in the UK, I used to live in Leicester, where there is a high percentage of Indians.
Most of them are third, even fourth-generation British of Indian origin, so it doesn't seem unusual to me to see a lot of Indians.

Having said that, I can see the Indian nationals have a completely different attitude compared to the majority of those who are British.

This isn't OT, but explaining a purely Thai perspective on the subject:
I ran a GoGo for seven years. We had monthly staff meetings  where a variety of subjects were discussed.

At one of the meetings the dancers themselves brought up the subject regarding 'interacting' with Indians, so to speak. They didn't want to have any involvement with them due their body odour.
We took appropriate steps to sort out the dilemma.