News Forum - Back to the future – the resistance to taking off masks in Thailand | OPINION

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Your premise is flawed... why would I venture out of my home with even a mask on if I were sick?  

Lots of people do, because they have to keep working. For some there is no choice or they are tougher people. If I were sick, maybe only then I'll wear one as it is mostly for blocking sneezes and coughs. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, Donald said:

Well it certainly proves that the brainwashing that has been going on over the last two years has done it's job. There have been many articles on the inefficiency of masks with regard to viral infections. Both with regard to provide personal protection and as a prevention of spreading infection. The one that jumps to mind was one done by the University of Copenhagen with over 6000 participants that proved that masks did not have any influence.

The new study, conducted by the California Department of Public Health and published in the CDC’s journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, was a case-control design. People who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 were demographically matched against other people who were not positive. Both groups were asked about their masking behavior in the preceding two weeks.

Statistical analysis showed that the odds of infection were about half for people who reported wearing a mask in public compared with people who didn’t. (Results of this study are reported in terms of “odds ratios” which are related to relative risk, but not quite the same thing.) For people who wore masks “all of the time” (instead of “some of the time” or “most of the time”) the estimated effect was even more significant.

A second part of the study sought to differentiate between cloth masks, surgical masks, and N95/KN95 respirators. Not unexpectedly, N95/KN95s were found to reduce the odds of infection compared with people who didn’t wear any mask. To me, the surprising thing is how effective they were, reducing the relative odds by 83%. Cloth masks and surgical masks were found to be less effective.

• Thanks 2

On 6/27/2022 at 9:17 AM, Anya said:

The terrible irony is though that common masks to protect against viruses (covid is 0.125 microns) are as useless as they are against fine pollution particles.  For this reason also I would be avoiding those sardine cans and those irresponsible infected people who think wearing a mask makes them safe to others. 

Fact check: No, N95 filters are not too large to stop COVID-19 particles

'Experts say this claim flies in the face of numerous studies and reflects a failure to grasp fundamental principles of how viruses behave and how face masks work.'

'The size-based argument against N95 laid out in this claim assumes mask filtering works something like water flowing through a net — particles in the water smaller than the net opening pass through, while larger items don’t.

But the physics involved don’t work like that at all.

The COVID-19 particle is indeed around 0.1 microns in size, but it is always bonded to something larger.

“There is never a naked virus floating in the air or released by people,” said Linsey Marr, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech who specializes in airborne transmission of viruses.

The virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols (i.e. really small droplets) that are generated by breathing, talking, coughing, etc. These consist of water, mucus protein and other biological material and are all larger than 1 micron.

“Breathing and talking generate particles around 1 micron in size, which will be collected by N95 respirator filters with very high efficiency,” said Lisa Brosseau, a retired professor of environmental and occupational health sciences who spent her career researching respiratory protection.'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/11/fact-check-n-95-filters-not-too-large-stop-covid-19-particles/5343537002/

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

As soon as my underwear or socks have to go over my face, I'll complain about it too. 

Maybe the ones who are wearing masks stay in air conditioned buildings and have no idea how hot it could get for some others wearing it all day. Besides that, if your breathing is all perfect, great, but for others those masks cause breathing trouble which affects many other things over a long period. 

i use a japanese foam washable mask....so perfect for the non believers ...breathable....im pfizer 3x vaxxed

i dont wear underwear tho...i am one with nature..sockless too    but will wear a mask if thai law says so

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 6:19 AM, Fanta said:

Because people have to work, eat, meet commitments, go to the doctor etc etc. Wearing a mask reduces the risk of transmitting viral infections, same as condoms. It’s a no brainer. 

So it's ok to infect other people if your sick but need to work, eat, meet commitments, or go to the doctor... NOT IN MY BOOK!  Masks reduce risk, but do not eliminate it... it's very selfish of you to put anyone else at risk because you don't want your life interupted.

23 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Lots of people do, because they have to keep working. For some there is no choice or they are tougher people. If I were sick, maybe only then I'll wear one as it is mostly for blocking sneezes and coughs. 

See my previous reply to Fanta... 

7 minutes ago, Skip said:

So it's ok to infect other people if your sick but need to work, eat, meet commitments, or go to the doctor... NOT IN MY BOOK!  Masks reduce risk, but do not eliminate it... it's very selfish of you to put anyone else at risk because you don't want your life interupted.

Me? You are barking up the wrong tree, mate. I am the one saying wear the mask regardless of your own health.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:21 AM, DiJoDavO said:

Would you go out if had the flu?

I guess if you felt well enough you probably would. Wearing a mask to protect others against the possible risk of infection seems a sensible thing to do.

Covid is no different.

22 hours ago, Fanta said:

Me? You are barking up the wrong tree, mate. I am the one saying wear the mask regardless of your own health.

Wearing the mask is not a substitute for staying home if you are sick...

45 minutes ago, Skip said:

Wearing the mask is not a substitute for staying home if you are sick...

I’ll be sure to tell the doctor that when he asks why I didn’t go to the hospital. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, Chaimai said:

Would you go out if had the flu?

I guess if you felt well enough you probably would. Wearing a mask to protect others against the possible risk of infection seems a sensible thing to do.

Covid is no different.

If people wouldn't be so paranoid over Covid, I'd still gone out when I had it. I don't mind whether I'm sick or not. Can't let something like being ill stop you from making money. Unless you have sth like food poisoning which is the worst. 

On 6/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, riclag said:

Curious ,would you wear a mask if your sick  with the (flu ,common cold or with covid)?

Thats a big concern for me ,people walking around sick and spreading their germs and not caring about others ,post covid pandemic.

I do think a positive out of this is the non-selfish people will now stay home more when sick

Before in North America it was a 'badge of honor" to come to work when you were sick

Now people don't want anyone in the office when they are sick

So that's a good change

• Like 1

Last night, out on the streets, I noticed many Thais without as mask.

It's as though under the cover of darkness they are more confident.

During the day, back to wearing them.

They seem like very frightened people.

1 hour ago, Metoo said:

Last night, out on the streets, I noticed many Thais without as mask.

It's as though under the cover of darkness they are more confident.

During the day, back to wearing them.

They seem like very frightened people.

Interesting observation, sad but probably not inaccurate.

The fear will subside slowly, time heals, but the sooner it does the better for the whole country. Having faces uncovered again will do wonders for the country's overall wellbeing, nothing is more certain. 

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I do think a positive out of this is the non-selfish people will now stay home more when sick

Before in North America it was a 'badge of honor" to come to work when you were sick

Now people don't want anyone in the office when they are sick

So that's a good change

....except for poster DiJoDavo it would seem.....he is happy to risk infecting others - to make money.

12 hours ago, Chaimai said:

....except for poster DiJoDavo it would seem.....he is happy to risk infecting others - to make money.

Yes we would call him a selfish *****

On 6/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, Scarface said:

It's a country of hypochondriacs...let's face it they like wearing them. Odd people, but I suppose that makes me even more odd as I've ended up living among them.

Don't like it? why don't you leave?

Do you know how to get to the airport?

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 8:52 PM, oldschooler said:

Bad mistake to live in close proximity to Thais. Noise dogs parking pollution rubbish etc 

don't be so ridiculous.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2022 at 8:59 PM, DiJoDavO said:

If people wouldn't be so paranoid over Covid, I'd still gone out when I had it. I don't mind whether I'm sick or not. Can't let something like being ill stop you from making money. Unless you have sth like food poisoning which is the worst. 

dumb 

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Don't like it? why don't you leave?

Do you know how to get to the airport?

There is always the “ move” option.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

don't be so ridiculous.  

Enjoy your Thai neighbors ….🤣😂

I’m sure HISO /Professional Thais are Fine…. the rest? Not so much ….😉