News Forum - Bangkok’s new governor posts video of his maskless jog

Thaiger

While Thailand has earned a rap for its enthusiasm over face masks, one politician in Bangkok is celebrating the country’s removal of mask requirements in open spaces. Bangkok’s new Governor Chadchart Sittipunt has posted a video of himself on a daily jog through the city- with his face uncovered. In the video, Chadchart and a bunch of friends or colleagues wear matching T-shirts. The group starts at Lumpini Park, and is later seen running through Bangkok’s Asoke neighbourhood, and then on to other areas. The caption translates to “Running to work”. Chadchart told the press he will still wear masks […]

The story Bangkok’s new governor posts video of his maskless jog as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

While Thailand has earned a rap for its enthusiasm over face masks, one politician in Bangkok is celebrating the country’s removal of mask requirements in open spaces. Bangkok’s new Governor Chadchart Sittipunt has posted a video of himself on a daily jog through the city- with his face uncovered. In the video, Chadchart and a bunch of friends or colleagues wear matching T-shirts. The group starts at Lumpini Park, and is later seen running through Bangkok’s Asoke neighbourhood, and then on to other areas. The caption translates to “Running to work”. Chadchart told the press he will still wear masks […]

The story Bangkok’s new governor posts video of his maskless jog as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Good on him.

This week a jog with no mask.

Next week, a press conference outside with no mask.

Week after that, an inside meeting somewhere with no mask.

And so it becomes normal again to go about your life without a face covering.

Lead by example.

• Like 1

All the brainwashed bedwetters are still wearing masks, they appear to be frightened to see a human face without mask, "he must be insane, how can he not be as hysterical afraid of the covid boogeyman as me and my 4-5 "vaccines" are?". And on a sidenote, at Siam Square 1, they now enforce mask-wearing and temperature checks even harder than they did 3 days ago. Thailand is a lost country. They don't need masks or "vaccines", they need a good old fashioned psychiatrist.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bushav8r said:

Everyone is still wearing a mask.  I only saw one dirty farang and his ladyboy friend not wearing a mask today.  

😅

5 hours ago, ThomasG said:

All the brainwashed bedwetters are still wearing masks, they appear to be frightened to see a human face without mask, "he must be insane, how can he not be as hysterical afraid of the covid boogeyman as me and my 4-5 "vaccines" are?". And on a sidenote, at Siam Square 1, they now enforce mask-wearing and temperature checks even harder than they did 3 days ago. Thailand is a lost country. They don't need masks or "vaccines", they need a good old fashioned psychiatrist.

I get this is happening for now, but can't see it lasting long.

Why should a private business enforce a rule, when the government health department has declared its not longer necessary?

If you take off your mask in the mall, there's nothing they can do about it legally. Can they ask you to leave, sure, but you wouldn't be subject to any enforcement.

I'd be surprised if they can even deny you entry on the basis of being unmasked. Legally now, it is no different to not wearing a cap or sunglasses , neither of those are mandated. 

I can see someone taking this to court and winning in Thailand- there's no legal basis for refusing someone entry or service due for being unmasked.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rc1 said:

I can see someone taking this to court and winning in Thailand- there's no legal basis for refusing someone entry or service due for being unmasked.   

Dress standards ? 

2 hours ago, rc1 said:

Why should a private business enforce a rule, when the government health department has declared its not longer necessary?

If you take off your mask in the mall, there's nothing they can do about it legally. Can they ask you to leave, sure, but you wouldn't be subject to any enforcement.

I'd be surprised if they can even deny you entry on the basis of being unmasked. Legally now, it is no different to not wearing a cap or sunglasses , neither of those are mandated. 

All of a sudden my condo has now put up like 40 signs every 10 feet that wearing a mask is “required”. 

The Government and Medical bureaucracy instilled a mindset of mystical protection around masks. Yesterday I still saw many pairs of people presumably friends or family still wearing masks in car while I’m sure they happily ate together recently  

Meanwhile the government does very little to boost things that work. Vaccination is stuck at 75%—and as in most of Asia I’m sure the elderly are still the lowest uptake cohort of adults. No one ever talks about that—they’re too busy worrying that the lowest risk individuals wear a stupid mask outside.

Also there’s never any mention of acquiring things that work like the antiviral medications that work across all variants. 

What will be more expensive—shutting the whole or parts of the country down again or buying a couple of million courses of antiviral? Shouldn’t the government be stock piling it now? 

Weve seen the patterns elsewhere—variants 4&5 are coming and can “partially” get around immunity meaning an uptick in cases. Some people with previous infections will get mild cases and some without infections might get sicker. And then the wave will go away no matter what we humans do  

The Thai medical bureaucrats have yet to analyze what actually worked and will just scapegoat recent measures and move for new restrictions that don’t work and won’t focus on things that work people will inevitably die unnecessarily.

As always, Thailand was late to the game lifting restrictions

These people are never going to take their masks off now, and will resent those that do, so this equals a huge social problem.

You also have to wonder what tourists coming in from the west will make of it all when their own countries ditched them a year or so ago??

It's insane and simply not normal to spend your life covering half your face up, might as well move to Libya.

• Like 1

Bangkok’s new governor posts video of his maskless jog

<Frivolous image in breach of FG's removed > Moderator.

I didn't know his dog had a mask - I take it the is the 'before' photo?

1 hour ago, Scarface said:

These people are never going to take their masks off now, and will resent those that do, so this equals a huge social problem.

You also have to wonder what tourists coming in from the west will make of it all when their own countries ditched them a year or so ago??

It's insane and simply not normal to spend your life covering half your face up, might as well move to Libya.

It is insane and the sooner the Thai people realise it's insane, the better.

If they keep on like this, they will be a true outlier in the world. 

I do have hope though that'll it'll gradually reduce over the coming weeks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rc1 said:

Yes, simple logic would suggest that more will drop them as time goes on, the question I suppose is what %. I have no doubt though that many will wear them indefinitely.

End of the Face Diapers all you Sheeple. <deleted content> absolutely zero reason to cause yourself harm wearing a worthless cloth diaper, unless you’re going to rob a gold store 😉 <deleted content>

Edited by BigHewer
Misinformation removed; off-topic material removed
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 3:21 PM, rc1 said:

I sure hope so. The good news is that in downtown Bangkok, mask wearing is finally reducing, at least outdoors. It's now down to perhaps 85%, but most of the non-maskers continue to be foreigners. I've noticed Indians are the least likely nationality to wear masks, followed by westerners of different nationalities and even Vietnamese tourists are much less enthusiastic about the muzzles than Thais are.

Even so, on Sunday I noticed several Thais not wearing masks in downtown Bangkok, so it is ever so slowly starting to catch on.

At the airport, about 5-7% of passengers/visitors not wearing masks, another 10% wearing chin masks. Baby steps, but if this trend continues then we'll see a lot less masking by this time next month.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, Scarface said:

Well said. I have noticed that it's catching on, since around Saturday at least, in the tourist/expat areas such as downtown Bangkok.

It's in Thai areas that it will be an uphill battle to change this superstition.

Having said that, today I did notice something I haven't seen in a long while - very outskirts of Bangkok, several customers NOT wearing masks buying things from street vendors. Even 2 or 3 days ago, you didn't see that. I did see the odd vendor not wearing a mask on June 24th, in an outer part of Bangkok towards Pathum Thani and several more somewhere near Suvarnabhumi airport, but at the time few people knew about the end of the mandate as it was the morning after it was published in the Royal Gazette.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:12 AM, rc1 said:

I know a family who did exactly this and they won in court, up in Isarn. They're lawyers themselves. This was actually last year I think, but now it would be even easier.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:12 AM, rc1 said:

I'm hearing lots of stories of people getting into malls, 7-11s and other businesses unmasked without issue.

However, there is a caveat. Stories of "successful" maskless entry are mainly limited to touristy/expat areas such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Hua Hin.

There have also been stories of refusal, such as one guy who was told to wear a mask to enter Big C Chiang Rai, but well, that's because it's Chiang Rai, which isn't a particularly touristy place, especially not at the moment.

Makro seems to be the strictest across the board as they continue with the charade (even handing out hand sanitizer), while Central Malls seem to be OK, at least in tourist areas. Suvarnabhumi airport is fine too, but it was also fine to be maskless there 3 weeks ago, however, there are definitely fewer masked faces now than earlier in the month. An increasing number of tourists/passengers/visitors at the airport aren't wearing masks or on their chins. Probably 15-20% in total (5-7% not masking, the rest chin maskers).