News Forum - Thai singer eats protected lizard, faces backlash

Thaiger

A famous Thai country singer has come under fire over her daring culinary tastes. The singer, Kratai Phannipha, filmed her husband cooking a spicy Thai dish containing one unusual type of meat- a monitor lizard, which is a protected species in Thailand. A photo shows the couple later chowing down on the, erm, ‘exotic’ meal. One angry tweeter who went viral for their reaction to Kratai’s meal choice has pointed out that the monitor lizard is No.40 on the country’s protected species list. Meanwhile, Kratai’s defenders have pointed out that eating it is quite normal in the countryside, even if […]

The story Thai singer eats protected lizard, faces backlash as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Greatly doubt she even knew it was on a protected species list. Name 10 animals on any countries protected species list. Tigers, lions, elephants, whales. aforementioned big ass lizard, anything that identifies as something it is not. That’s 6 and the lizard was #40. 

• Angry 1

About thirty years ago in the UK, I took a Thai on a day out to the West Midlands Safari Park.
In an open area reptile section there was a keeper handling a monitor lizard. A lot of the visitors kept their distance.

The person who stole the show was the Thai next to me, who said quite loudly, "Mmm, they're very  good in curry,"

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

12 hours ago, Skip said:

And this is just one small example of Thai 3rd world behavior...

Don't Aussies eat crocodile, when crocs aren't eating them?  😎 

31 minutes ago, Venusianhart said:

Yep, add in Kangaroo, Emu (tough as nails) bush turkey, snake, bung arrow (like a monitor lizard) cockatoo (bird), etc. Lived in the bush a couple of years and the locals introduced most to me during that time.

Some good, some bloody terrible (emu) .  By they way Croc and Roo steaks are fantastic and very healthy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 2:21 PM, Thaiger said:

a monitor lizard, which is a protected species in Thailand

Really? And still?  Since 2020, the population of these species did not only grow in Bangkok's Parks. In Phuket, I see now almost every day the one or the other. And it is not needed that I to go deserted places for it! Aside, I got told that meat prices are up. Good, a singer, vip(?) won't need that, but I think, that some farming people are getting the idea. 

"Mmm, they're very  good in curry," Here we go again sang Fleetwood Mac.

I just had to warn a friend of mine in Bangkok, who was just off to go and get a 25 Baht curry with his wife at one of the at PT filling stations.

11 hours ago, Venusianhart said:

What's that got to do with killing and eating a protected species???

11 hours ago, Venusianhart said:

Native salt water crocodiles are a protected species in Australia. Crocodile farms exist. imo, croc doesn’t taste good. It is not a popular meat Down Under. Much like kangaroo meat, it is tough and has a gamey flavor. I imagine monitor lizard meat would have a similar taste and texture to croc meat.
https://www.farmtransparency.org/editorials/215-the-mass-slaughter-protected-native-australian-crocodiles

You can't stop a rural person from eating what they want (to hunt). And that's fine. But these reptiles are protected to prevent their illegal trade which threatens their extinction. And while threatened, they are certainly not extinct. That's not the point. You protect a species before it becomes endangered. 

I have eaten crocodile meat on many occasions, tastes just like chicken. Chatting to two of my Thai neighbours just now, they say the meat from the monitor lizard also tastes very similar to chicken. They also told me that in the North Eastern part of Thailand, protected or not, they are eaten when found. Same goes for snakes, bugs and worms.

One question that they could not answer, was, why do Thai folk use their name as an extremely offensive insult and why is the animal held in such low regard? Searching on startpage dot com is also not that helpful either. Answers if anybody knows could be quite interesting.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

19 minutes ago, IneptoCracy said:

I have eaten crocodile meat on many occasions, tastes just like chicken. Chatting to two of my Thai neighbours just now, they say the meat from the monitor lizard also tastes very similar to chicken. They also told me that in the North Eastern part of Thailand, protected or not, they are eaten when found. Same goes for snakes, bugs and worms.

One question that they could not answer, was, why do Thai folk use their name as an extremely offensive insult and why is the animal held in such low regard? Searching on startpage dot com is also not that helpful either. Answers if anybody knows could be quite interesting.

Perhaps '"Lizard features" is the same as calling someone "Fishface" in English?

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:14 AM, Fanta said:

Greatly doubt she even knew it was on a protected species list. Name 10 animals on any countries protected species list. Tigers, lions, elephants, whales. aforementioned big ass lizard, anything that identifies as something it is not. That’s 6 and the lizard was #40. 

So in your world being ignorant is a legitimate excuse... 555

7 minutes ago, Skip said:

So in your world being ignorant is a legitimate excuse... 555

Judging from your selective replies today ignorance seems to be your modus operandi. Ignorance is no defense in the eyes of the law - I am sure you have heard that before - however unless you are all knowing then ignorance is a fact of life for all people on some matters. If the lady knew it was a protected species and that she was breaking the law she most likely would not have filmed herself committing  a crime and uploaded it to the Interwebs. Now she knows and so do we. Win win for all except for the monitor lizard. 

21 hours ago, Fanta said:

Judging from your selective replies today ignorance seems to be your modus operandi. Ignorance is no defense in the eyes of the law - I am sure you have heard that before - however unless you are all knowing then ignorance is a fact of life for all people on some matters. If the lady knew it was a protected species and that she was breaking the law she most likely would not have filmed herself committing  a crime and uploaded it to the Interwebs. Now she knows and so do we. Win win for all except for the monitor lizard. 

So you confirm that ignorance is a good excuse...

On 6/27/2022 at 8:01 PM, palooka said:

Yep, add in Kangaroo, Emu (tough as nails) bush turkey, snake, bung arrow (like a monitor lizard) cockatoo (bird), etc. Lived in the bush a couple of years and the locals introduced most to me during that time.

Some good, some bloody terrible (emu) .  By they way Croc and Roo steaks are fantastic and very healthy.

Recipe for cockatoo:

1. Put the cockatoo and medium sized two stones in a pot and boil for 4 hours

2. Drain the pot, throw the cockatoo out.

3. Eat the stones as they will be more tender than the cockatoo 🤣

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Skip said:

And since it's "a fact of your life"... it's an excuse you rely on

I beg your forgiveness and can only plead ignorance as I have ever met everyone who knows everything. Please accept my heartfelt apologies as I prostrate myself and am humbled by your presence , oh all knowing one.