The future of aircraft cabin configuration?

KaptainRob

If this seating configuration ever took off, excuse the pun, It would signal the end of centre overhead stowage bins although a small space is available under each seat >

Chaise-Lounge-3-759x500.jpeg

Headroom on outboard sides limits use to centre row only and permits full leg room on the lower level and a lie-flat option above.

Photos and data from > https://samchui.com/2022/06/20/4-new-conceptual-airplane-seat-at-aircraft-interiors-2022/#.YrUz--xBzlw

IMG-0880-800x450.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 1:20 PM, KaptainRob said:

It would signal the end of centre overhead stowage bins

That would be great as most time taken whilst boarding is waiting for passengers to put their hand bags overhead.

Why do they not board from the back forwards?

5 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Why do they not board from the back forwards?

It's a little more complicated than that - slow passengers/elderly/those with oversize and heavy carry-on may still slow things down.  The system described in video (below) is the best IMO, though it would require boarding by numbers, a system incorporated in boarding passes.

9 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

It's a little more complicated than that - slow passengers/elderly/those with oversize and heavy carry-on may still slow things down.  The system described in video (below) is the best IMO, though it would require boarding by numbers, a system incorporated in boarding passes.

Very interesting video.

And  'oversize/heavy' hand baggage should not be allowed. Check them at check-in. 

11 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Optimized boarding will never survive first contact with humans.

I still believe the best we can possibly hope for is the "OK planes here get on it".  

• Haha 1

Not once, in my airline career was my aircraft late because of slow boarding . Its making out that there is a problem which does not really exist in  terms of flight  timing.  I have been delayed by idiots still in duty free when they should be boarding.  I would inevitably  off load their bags and leave them behind even if they pitched up during that off load process. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

And  'oversize/heavy' hand baggage should not be allowed. Check them at check-in

Yet I see it almost every (long haul) flight, quite often backpackers with gigantic rucksacks so heavy it takes 2 to wrestle into the overhead.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, Pinetree said:

Not once, in my airline career was my aircraft late because of slow boarding . Its making out that there is a problem which does not really exist in  terms of flight  timing.  I have been delayed by idiots still in duty free when they should be boarding.  I would inevitably  off load their bags and leave them behind even if they pitched up during that off load process. 

It does seem they start the boarding process much sooner than they used to

And I don't why it seems flights in Asia board so much faster than in US/Canada

Possibly less big overhead bags?

41 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Possibly less big overhead bags?

Not the only less big parts in the plane/aisle, methinks 

🙊