trip in phuket

wechat

i heard many bad stories in phuket, such as outrageous foreign prices for food, high tax fee. 

is Phuket still a place for tourists?

No, it is the scam capital of Thailand, with local people who don't care and poor hotel staff, unless you go 5 star plus, and even then its a lottery. Its also as expensive , if not more so, as BKK .  I will never set foot in the place gain, but that's just my personal view, others love the place, but I just don't get why.  Oh,  and the weather is crap too. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wechat said:

i heard many bad stories in phuket, such as outrageous foreign prices for food, high tax fee. 

is Phuket still a place for tourists?

Why would you eat foreign (farang) food when there's such excellent Thai food available at dirt cheap prices?

Personally I will not live on Phuket again due to congestion on the roads and especially during normal peak times even foot traffic and tour groups are a pain!

However, I lived in Kamala Beach for a while and it's a far cry from the madness of Patong, a far nicer community with easy access to unspoilt beaches, eg Kamala, Laem Sing, Surin and Bang Tao.

I've referred many friends to stay at SunPrime Resort Kamala and they've returned many times over.  On the beach and an easy walk to all restaurants and shops.  'Cromwells' is a favourite local bar and eatery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Why would you eat foreign (farang) food when there's such excellent Thai food available at dirt cheap prices?

Personally I will not live on Phuket again due to congestion on the roads and especially during normal peak times even foot traffic and tour groups are a pain!

However, I lived in Kamala Beach for a while and it's a far cry from the madness of Patong, a far nicer community with easy access to unspoilt beaches, eg Kamala, Laem Sing, Surin and Bang Tao.

I've referred many friends to stay at SunPrime Resort Kamala and they've returned many times over.  On the beach and an easy walk to all restaurants and shops.  'Cromwells' is a favourite local bar and eatery.

I cannot eat Thai grub though....😋

32 minutes ago, Transam said:

I cannot eat Thai grub though....😋

I dont eat grubs either.😙

There's plenty of Coffee Club and similar outlets that do inexpensive farang grub but hey, belly pork with crackle is very good Thai food and chicken cashew almost international fare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Me and my 2 kids were just in Phuket Patong, Katong and the food was expensive and not delicious for the price. We were looking for fresh seafood and came up short on most all tries. As for Phuket being nice, just stay out of Patong and the experience can be very nice. Don't much care for Patong one bit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Z650 said:

My dad wouldn't even eat Heinz Spaghetti Hoops, said I'm not eating that foreign shit!

My dad said similar after coming back from WW2, I am never going to eat rice again....☹️.....🤭

• Like 1

Like anything, depends where you go and what you're used to.

I was there for the last new year for a few days. Didn't find it overly expensive, but a bit hit and miss regarding quality. But then as a tourist one isn't familiar with the place. 

Having your own transport is key because then you can go where you want without any difficulty. 

Didn't visit any bars so I can't comment on prices for alcohol or women.