News Forum - New Bangkok governor says student success about concentration, not hair

Thaiger

Bangkok’s new governor is the latest official to say that hair styles aren’t what counts in students’ academic success. Governor Chadchart Sittipunt told a school director in the capital today (Thursday) that student success depends on concentration and responsibility, and he doesn’t believe that hairstyles have any effect on this. Chadchart had been inspecting a school in Bangkok’s Din Daeng district, following his announcement last week that all Bangkok schools are Cannabis-free zones. But during Chadchart’s visit, some other topics came up as well. The school director told Chadchart that the school has been giving free haircuts to students who […]

The story New Bangkok governor says student success about concentration, not hair as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Wow

If a school teacher cut one of my children's hair as a punishment my response would  ensure that this teacher would struggle to ever hold a pair of scissors again 😠

Edited by Mazz11

19 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

Wow

If a school teacher cut one of my children's hair as a punishment my response would  ensure that this teacher would struggle to ever hold a pair of scissors again 😠

Brave words!

Would you consider questioning your kids about their behavior as well.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

Wow

Easier said than done as the school has a policy used at their discretion and the school can turn around and just say your kids are not welcome to study there anymore. Thai face holds a heavy hammer.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Easier said than done as the school has a policy used at their discretion and the school can turn around and just say your kids are not welcome to study there anymore. Thai face holds a heavy hammer.

As the article states 'Thai schools’ haircut rules “officially” changed 2 years ago, outlawing haircuts as punishments' the school would not have the discretionary powers to use this as a punishment.

If a school decides that it can operate outside the law I would not want my children in that school.

On 6/24/2022 at 2:27 PM, Chaimai said:

Brave words!

Would you consider questioning your kids about their behavior as well.

You just made a very wild assumption there. Of course I would question my children's behaviour.

My point is that this form of punishment is designed to humiliate the child and is a form of bullying and physical assault. 

I was raised with the old school punishments of the belt at home and the cane at school and this did nothing to encourage any form of respect for the people that dealt this punishment on me. 

I have raised two outstanding young men (teenagers) who behave with respect to all people around them, stand up against bullies and help those in need. I achieved this without corporal punishment but instead I discussed their misdemeanours and educated them on the repercussions their actions would have for themselves and others. I then set out a punishment that would actually change the unwanted behaviour without having to resort to physical punishments.

In my opinion and experience hitting a kid with a belt or cane or forcibly cutting their hair will have a very limited effect and produce resentment rather than respect.

And regarding your comment Chaimai 'Brave words'. Any adult laying hands on my children will find their actions returned with interest. 

43 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

As the article states 'Thai schools’ haircut rules “officially” changed 2 years ago, outlawing haircuts as punishments' the school would not have the discretionary powers to use this as a punishment.

If a school decides that it can operate outside the law I would not want my children in that school.

No, they will say it is not punnishment as it will be dealt out as a starter cut so the kid follows through after school, just say like a helping hand and the kid needs to finish the job. But yes, it is a punnishment in a sense as they yank them all out into a group and then proceed to shave or scissor cut them a little. They also will tell the kids to cut the hair prior or should have in most cases. The schools I have seen don't give a full haircut but only took a small snip out of it leaving it look ridiculous. It will be your kids and your word against the school's word and that is a dangersous line to cross. I have already put 2 girls and 1 boy through grade and high school here. Now one is long out of university and the other 2 (boy/girl) are currently in university enjoying their freedom.

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

No, they will say it is not punnishment as it will be dealt out as a starter cut so the kid follows through after school, just say like a helping hand and the kid needs to finish the job. But yes, it is a punnishment in a sense as they yank them all out into a group and then proceed to shave or scissor cut them a little. They also will tell the kids to cut the hair prior or should have in most cases. The schools I have seen don't give a full haircut but only took a small snip out of it leaving it look ridiculous. It will be your kids and your word against the school's word and that is a dangersous line to cross. I have already put 2 girls and 1 boy through grade and high school here. Now one is long out of university and the other 2 (boy/girl) are currently in university enjoying their freedom.

I am confused, you say that they will claim that it is not a punishment. If that is so, what justification do they give when they cut a students hair. You then state that you believe that it is a punishment in which case the school is operating outside the rules of Thai schools . As I highlighted, the article states 'Thai schools’ haircut rules “officially” changed 2 years ago, outlawing haircuts as punishments'.

If it is school policy for a student to have hair cut at a certain length I have no issue with a requirement for the student to present with hair at the required length.

I do however have an issue if a student is as you say 'yanked out and out into a group and then proceed to shave or scissor cut them a little' as this is a punishment and outlawed.

Or maybe this is another rule that is ignored in Thailand like the majority of road rules🤣.   

17 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

I am confused, you say that they will claim that it is not a punishment. If that is so, what justification do they give when they cut a students hair. You then state that you believe that it is a punishment in which case the school is operating outside the rules of Thai schools . As I highlighted, the article states 'Thai schools’ haircut rules “officially” changed 2 years ago, outlawing haircuts as punishments'.

If it is school policy for a student to have hair cut at a certain length I have no issue with a requirement for the student to present with hair at the required length.

I do however have an issue if a student is as you say 'yanked out and out into a group and then proceed to shave or scissor cut them a little' as this is a punishment and outlawed.

Or maybe this is another rule that is ignored in Thailand like the majority of road rules🤣.   

It is just how I said and I have personally winessed it many of times.

The school will call the hair cut shots of what they want as that is the underlying law leaving it to their discretion. This is a long loing time ago, but I have seen full haircuts given and also snips. The snips were more the norm, but this is also as I gather after the kid or kids had been informed in home room or assembly to get them cut. They snip in places that would be part of where the prescribed haircut area will ultimately be cut by a barber. It is a bit brutal and i never liked seeing it or having my son subjected to it, but there is really nothing you can do unless huge harm is done.