News Forum - BEAM me up – app-based electric scooters comes to Phuket

Thaiger

by John Magee What costs 200 baht in a taxi but 30 baht on a BEAM? Chances are that you’ve seen these little purple scooters BEAMing around Phuket, particularly in the Laguna area, Patong, and Phuket Town. Indeed, they are appearing in growing numbers not only in Thailand but also, for starters, in Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Turkey, and Malaysia. I’ve been fascinated with them, both as a business and as a ride. Who’s behind it and how does it work? At the core, is a short-trip, two-wheeled ‘personal transportation device’ gone taxi in an Uber-style business model. But […]

The story BEAM me up – app-based electric scooters comes to Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Well I hope the drivers of these things are aware of the dangers and do not drive drunk or stoned. And I hope the vehicle drivers in Phuket realize these are maneuvering the sides of the road and don’t just honk their horn and run into them if they don’t get out of the way…

• Like 1

These scooters have proven dangerous in NZ and Australia.  The use on footpaths is regulated in many regions to 15 to 25kmph, helmets are essential and bans may be imposed as serious accidents, even deaths*, occur all too frequently, particularly with hired scoots.  IMHO they are a menace in busy tourist areas.

*https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/113743992/person-dies-after-lime-scooter-incident-in-auckland

• Like 1

It's bad enough driving in Thailand without having to worry about these things as well. Its hard enough keeping track of motorcyclists who have a death wish.

• Like 1

What happened to the law of driving these.. I remember a news post of the local police stopping and fining tourist because the scooters are not licenced to ride on roads

Not long time ago I read that those scooters are illigal to ride in Phuket as they can not be registered and to get a Licence Plate.

I hope that is still valid as they are very dangerous for the driver as well as to other people. They are so quite and you can not hear them.

If you been to Countries like France or Belgium, you see these scooters thrown about everywhere.   They are dumped on the sidewalk, blocking the path, and in the grass and lawns.  It is a real eyesore destroying the beauty of the greenery.   The same thing will happen here. The discarded scooters will not only create an eyesore, but also due to narrow sidewalks and streets, become a danger causing accidents.