News Forum - Tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand (2022)

Thaiger

9 hours ago, SteveL said:

Your car license in your home country isn’t legal in Thailand to ride a motorbike or motorcycle. Your International Drivers License for cars issued in your home country isn’t going to cut it either. Legally, the only document that will satisfy the Thai legal system, officially, is a Thai motorcycle license.

Not sure why they failed to mention that an IDL with a motorcycle endorsement works.....just not an IDL for cars only.  Officially you can't get a Thai driving license when on a tourist visa so the IDL with motorcycle endorsement is the best option available.

I got my first two TDL on Visa Exempt.

The funniest thing i saw was sitting in a bar 1 afternoon in a bar in Udon Thani and next door there is an Italian restaurant turns out the local Bikers meet up there monthly most had all the badges on their gear then i watched them jump on there Scoopys and Mio's so funny. 

At least in Pattaya there seems to be a hierarchical structure to riding.
Large Trucks, Cars, Pickup Trucks, Taxi's, Motorbike Delivery Drivers, Motorbike Taxi's, aggressive drivers are above and Pedestrians, Bicycles below.  Gradually move around in the lanes of traffic, No fast, sharp changes of direction.  Drive cautiously, if you drive down a road with any frequency you will start to know the streets and areas you need to be more cautious in.  Always use your turn signal indicators.

Drive slow enough to give yourself time to brake for others.  If you have time and a choice take the roads with less vehicle traffic overall even if it takes a little longer.

Number one rule, Self Preservation.  You may only have one chance to get it wrong.

Edited by ThaistyleJeff
Format

All of your items are good but here's two things that will actually save your life. Take it from somebody who had two Honda dealerships in America and is written motorcycles for 60 plus years. When riding on the road and you see something in front of you you do not want to hit do not look at it or you will hit it. Really. Look beyond it or to the side don't look directly at that pothole or puddle or cat or whatever it is. Try it you will be amazed! Number two never ever especially if you are a new writer, use your front brake while in a turn it is very dangerous. Even for experienced riders if the bike is not vertical. Or, only use the back brake. The best thing is to slow down before you get to the turn so the brakes aren't so important or at least the back brake can handle things. Tim these are the two best ideas that will actually save somebody's life. Take it from me Jim malafite, also known as Bigfoot. Have a nice day goodbye

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 4:27 PM, Thaiger said:

PLEASE NOTE: We’re not recommending that you should ride a motorbike or motorcycle in Thailand but, if you do, these tips will help… Getting around on a motorbike or motorcycle in Thailand is easy enough and, especially in busy traffic, will get you to your destination faster whilst the cars and trucks are plodding along in the traffic. There will be plenty of people who say the first tip about driving a motorbike in Thailand is “DON’T”. But whilst many expats swear never to step into a 110cc step-thru scooter, they are also missing out on an entire slice of life in […]

The story Tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand (2022) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I saw my dad almost kill himself on gravel coming off at no more than 20 mph when I was a nipper. 

Just before Covid hit I finally overcame my phobia and hired a step thru on Ko Lanta I was as nervous and cautious as a kitten, wore a crappy local helmet, and puttered along, fully unlicensed and uninsured, but I had the time of my life! The island was emptying by the day, and we spent most of our time out on Ko Lanta Noi the "local" island across the bridge. I did see the trash from a bike crash one time, and my missus (who's been illegally biking on and off since her teens) did almost kill herself in a bend, but somehow stayed upright!

But overall, there was nothing to beat, puttering along in the sunshine on near empty roads with Covid still a dim distraction in the future.

Like naughty substances in Thailand. If you must do it, accept it might be great fun, but if it goes wrong, you're either stone dead on arrival, or absolutely on your own and entering a world of unimaginable cost and pain.  

Edited by Venusianhart

22 hours ago, Cabra said:

"Countersteering always works, at any speed, in straights or turns. Even while a bicycle is leaned in a turn, turning the bars in the opposite direction will further lean the bicycle."

Look up scooter counter steering on YouTube to learn more. 

Jeez, I didn't say counter-steering doesn't work on a scooter. I noted that because of the smaller wheel diameter, the gyroscopic effect is lessened compared to a big bike and so a simple lean turns the scooter easily. I've been riding bikes daily for 25 years....I'm familiar with the dynamics.