News Forum - Tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand (2022)

Thaiger

PLEASE NOTE: We’re not recommending that you should ride a motorbike or motorcycle in Thailand but, if you do, these tips will help… Getting around on a motorbike or motorcycle in Thailand is easy enough and, especially in busy traffic, will get you to your destination faster whilst the cars and trucks are plodding along in the traffic. There will be plenty of people who say the first tip about driving a motorbike in Thailand is “DON’T”. But whilst many expats swear never to step into a 110cc step-thru scooter, they are also missing out on an entire slice of life in […]

The story Tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand (2022) as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Most renta bikes are dangerous with some flaws of not taken care or old or of being wrecked and put back on the road. Just rented 2 in Patong, utter rat traps (old grips on both and poor brakes), and then 2 in Kata really great bikes and taken care of. All of us are licensed and have experience riding. There is a difference..

• Like 1

I avoid the hole in the wall one man band bike shops. Their tools are crap and very few Thai mechanics are certified so they learn through experience. Bigger, better equipped bike shops often means more customer turnover meaning more experience. Still as cheap as chips. Good article. 

• Like 1

I've a good tip. 

If you see a car using their indicator lights to the left, doesn't mean that you are allowed by that car to pass on the left. This means the car is going to turn left, and if you really need to pass and only want to pass on the left, you will most likely get an accident. 

• Like 1

I rent a bike before i MT my case HCM first i look at the overall condition of the bike check tyres, brakes, and check brake fluid oil levels Engine Oil. Most rental bikes will have been flogged with wear and tear but that shouldn't put you off. Check lights including brake and indicators main beam etc. Start it up if it sounds like a bag of spanners walk away same if it smokes a lot that's a sign of a worn engine. Don't forget i keep my step through tyre pressure both rear and front at around 30 psi but in Thailand, the tyre pressure will fluctuate due to heat expanding the Air in the tyres id stick to between 25- 30 psi. Overall look at the bike if it looks good with no cracks or damage to panels chances are it'll be ok if you check the Basics.

• Like 1

Drive defensively.... Which means assume that in every situation you will not be seen. And know how to ride. Know how to apply the front break properly, and know what counter steering is and how it's done. 

Kudos for mentioning about insurance and the likelihood of it being voided without posession of the appropriate license. Although, I would mention specifically that, for tourists, a full motorcycle license from your home country is always required by travel insurance policies as there's always a few who erroneously believe their car license to be enough to cover less powerful bikes 125cc and under. I've yet to find a policy where this is the case, even when it's allowed in their home country - every policy I've read states a requirement of a full bike license, specifically, even to ride 125s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, whilst wearing a helmet was covered, there was no mention that llack of one will also void your insurance irrelevant of whether, or not, one is in possession of the appropriate license.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your car license in your home country isn’t legal in Thailand to ride a motorbike or motorcycle. Your International Drivers License for cars issued in your home country isn’t going to cut it either. Legally, the only document that will satisfy the Thai legal system, officially, is a Thai motorcycle license.

Not sure why they failed to mention that an IDL with a motorcycle endorsement works.....just not an IDL for cars only.  Officially you can't get a Thai driving license when on a tourist visa so the IDL with motorcycle endorsement is the best option available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cabra said:

Drive defensively.... Which means assume that in every situation you will not be seen. And know how to ride. Know how to apply the front break properly, and know what counter steering is and how it's done. 

Being aware of counter-steering is only really necessary on a big bike that has large wheels.

We need to counter steer because the large wheels cause a gyroscopic effect that makes the bike stand up straight at higher speeds (remember that gyroscope you had as a kid?) and the only way to turn it is to destabilize it in the direction you wish to turn (i.e.., push on the left handlebar to steer left)

A scooter-style motorcycle has much smaller diameter wheels and thus a much less in-your-face gyroscopic effect, so most riders can manage them fine just by leaning, without needing to be aware of counter steering dynamics. 

On the other hand, said awareness is a must if you ride a large motorcycle. I'm always perplexed by riders of large bikes who claim to be unaware of counter-steering. 

15 hours ago, Cabra said:

what about the Rear brake? You should apply both brakes at the same time never just the front brake.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hamhak said:

Kudos for mentioning about insurance and the likelihood of it being voided without posession of the appropriate license. Although, I would mention specifically that, for tourists, a full motorcycle license from your home country is always required by travel insurance policies as there's always a few who erroneously believe their car license to be enough to cover less powerful bikes 125cc and under. I've yet to find a policy where this is the case, even when it's allowed in their home country - every policy I've read states a requirement of a full bike license, specifically, even to ride 125s.

Sorry hamhak but in the UK you can ride up to a 125cc I've ridden a 125 for over 30 yrs a full UK license is required for anything over 125cc. 

1 hour ago, hamhak said:

I recently had an insurance policy that stated that I required a licence in my home country for the same or larger capacity of the bike hired.

I own a 1670cc Harley Davidson and a 1200cc Buell.

I have an unrestricted motorcycle licence in Australia so I can hire anything.

I went with a 125cc scooter 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

what about the Rear brake? You should apply both brakes at the same time never just the front brake.

I reckon Cabra is trying to say is front brake is very important when in an emergency brake situation. I usually do 70% front brake and 30% rear brake in those situation and never squeeze your front brake abruptly. Learning to stop effectively is important in Thailand. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

I reckon Cabra is trying to say is front brake is very important when in an emergency brake situation. I usually do 70% front brake and 30% rear brake in those situation and never squeeze your front brake abruptly. Learning to stop effectively is important in Thailand. 

I have a Honda Airblade scooter. It has combi-brakes. Squeeze the rear brake lever and, via a cable, it automatically applies the front brake. Not sure of the ratio but 70% rear 30% front feels about rights. Works well especially on wet or sandy roads. ABS? Holy snapping catfish - I wish I had that back in the day when I used to panic brake and lose the front end 🙃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, js89 said:

Being aware of counter-steering is only really necessary on a big bike that has large wheels.

We need to counter steer because the large wheels cause a gyroscopic effect that makes the bike stand up straight at higher speeds (remember that gyroscope you had as a kid?) and the only way to turn it is to destabilize it in the direction you wish to turn (i.e.., push on the left handlebar to steer left)

A scooter-style motorcycle has much smaller diameter wheels and thus a much less in-your-face gyroscopic effect, so most riders can manage them fine just by leaning, without needing to be aware of counter steering dynamics. 

On the other hand, said awareness is a must if you ride a large motorcycle. I'm always perplexed by riders of large bikes who claim to be unaware of counter-steering. 

"Countersteering always works, at any speed, in straights or turns. Even while a bicycle is leaned in a turn, turning the bars in the opposite direction will further lean the bicycle."

Look up scooter counter steering on YouTube to learn more. 

3 hours ago, vlad said:

Exactly. Knowing how to use the front and rear breaks together will allow you to  maximize braking safely and effectively 

• Like 1

Pretty good advice, however I think the article could have placed a greater emphasis on vehicle size. Generally the bigger your vehicle the more right of way you get!

That's based on my 25 years of living in Thailand.

For the record, I do not own a car but I did have several motorcycles, including an 1819cc Indian

• Like 2

I rode a motorbike in Thailand for nearly 20 years, but other than perhaps running to the 7/11 I avoid it now. There is far too much traffic on the roads, and most drivers nowadays have never ridden a bike themselves and have no regard for anyone on a bike. If you fall off, there's a very high chance of getting run over before you can get off the road. It's simply not worth the risk...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fanta said:

I avoid the hole in the wall one man band bike shops. Their tools are crap and very few Thai mechanics are certified so they learn through experience. Bigger, better equipped bike shops often means more customer turnover meaning more experience. Still as cheap as chips. Good article. 

Finding any trade excellence here is very hard.Trial & Error mainly even with, ideally, strong farang recommendation ! Get that always for  anything involving Safety like Motorbike Servicing or Electrical ! 

And even Official Main Dealers are not necessarily Reliable. Switched away from Main Vespa Dealer to Specialized Vespa Shop due to poor / indifferent service. 

Article Excellent on Tricky Subject where difficult to capture all nuances, particularly the essential Advanced Defensive Driving.  

“Drive Like Thai” ? Seriously ? Absolutely Not. And “obey traffic rules” will get you in hospital eventually, particularly stopping at Lights with no rear protection: always stop in front of a stationary 4 wheeler (vital) or left turn- Uturn -left turn. 😎

Wear Full FaceHelmet & Gloves& yes Long Clothing. 👍

Extreme Defensive Driving; maximum hazard distancing, assume worst case from all road users, 360 swivel vision, avoid night & wet riding, perpetual safe motion.😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GjM said:

I rode a motorbike in Thailand for nearly 20 years, but other than perhaps running to the 7/11 I avoid it now. There is far too much traffic on the roads, and most drivers nowadays have never ridden a bike themselves and have no regard for anyone on a bike. If you fall off, there's a very high chance of getting run over before you can get off the road. It's simply not worth the risk...

Agree. Too Many “Hazards”. But, I just can’t stand traffic jams / lights, so ride 155cc Motorbike for tropical Convenience but never in City or at Night / Wet. Deploy Extreme Advanced Defensive Driving ( see my other post here). 😎

3 hours ago, Cabra said:

Exactly. Knowing how to use the front and rear breaks together will allow you to  maximize braking safely and effectively 

Combined with steering, has avoided two collisions ….😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vlad said:

Sorry hamhak but in the UK you can ride up to a 125cc I've ridden a 125 for over 30 yrs a full UK license is required for anything over 125cc. 

Maybe so but irrelevant with regard to insurance. The fact is I have yet to find a travel insurance policy where this is covered, all  seem to state that a full motorcycle license (which would be an A class license allowing any size engine in the UK) is required in order for travel insurance to remain valid. If you don't bellive me, I suggest reading any travel insurance policy small print regarding motorcycles. Passing your CBT is not a full motorcycle license.

Edited by hamhak
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

I recently had an insurance policy that stated that I required a licence in my home country for the same or larger capacity of the bike hired.

I own a 1670cc Harley Davidson and a 1200cc Buell.

I have an unrestricted motorcycle licence in Australia so I can hire anything.

I went with a 125cc scooter 🤣

When in Rome... 😄

13 minutes ago, Z650 said:

I would reckon most Thai car drivers started off riding motorbikes.

Well of course; They start riding small motorbikes here aged 10-12….. average annual road deaths here aged 10-19 for 2013-17 was 17,600 (70% total ?). That’s over 100,000 dead kids every six years …an absolute National Disgrace ….. about which Nothing Done of course. 😡

Cost Contributor: Small motorbikes what $1200 New ? as made here.😉

New Cars include huge tax so unaffordable to most Thais… 😩

• Like 1