Craft Beer - brewed and/or enjoyed in Bangkok - where to go, what to enjoy

KaptainRob

Brewski Rooftop Craft Beer Bar - description from Tripadvisor below >

Located on the split level 30th & 29th floors of the Radisson Hotel.  The highest duplex rooftop craft beer bar in Thailand offering 100 craft brews and ciders over 18 taps with a full coverage of International sport events on multi screens.

Enjoy breathtaking views and the panoramic skyline. Brewski is open daily from 17:00 – 24.00 hrs (Food last orders 23.30 hrs) 

spacer.png

tap-list-2017-may-6th.jpg?w=1200&h=-1&s=

Prices appear reasonable and snack food or full meals are available ... 

menu.jpg?w=1200&h=-1&s=1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Hazy at 6.5% is medium bodied IPA with light fruity flavours and very too easy to enjoy  🍻

White IPA is brewed with up to 50% wheat and 6% Abv.  Very flavourful and quite dry it suits my tastes although dedicated Pale Ale drinkers might prefer Hazy.

Pale Ale at 5% perhaps ideal for a bbq lunch, goes down very nicely ... 

Looking forward to trying all three. Would be good to see more local choices rather than the usual Singha, Chang, Leo and Archa 🍻

• Like 1

Not sure about Bangkok, but up north, im yet to find anywhere that serves anything approaching a stout or a dark ale. Something akin to what in Australia would be Tooheys Dark Ale (what use to be called Tooheys Old). 

I see 7 eleven are carrying more European style beers but none of them are the black stuff, or maybe im missing something?

25 minutes ago, Netbuddy said:

Not sure about Bangkok, but up north, im yet to find anywhere that serves anything approaching a stout or a dark ale. Something akin to what in Australia would be Tooheys Dark Ale (what use to be called Tooheys Old). 

I see 7 eleven are carrying more European style beers but none of them are the black stuff, or maybe im missing something?

BeerLao dark may suit your taste.   Sold most places including Makro BigC et.

• Like 1

How is it that Mahanakhon Beer has been 1 of the first Thai Craft Beers brewed in Phuket, yet no one else can brew beer in Thailand before the new laws coming.   They have been able to brew and bottle to sell around Thailand.  How and why?

There's a German Tawadaeng brewery, but they can only brew beer to be served on premise.

Recently there is the Londener in BKK that again brews their own beer and can only serve on premise.

Then there are the big monopoly brewers - Chang, Singha, Leo - that have come up with their own craft beers with western labels to fool the people.  All / most of it is crap, not craft beer.

Brewski used to be good place but most of their beers on tap they don't have the last 2 times I was there.  Have they stocked up now?

• Like 1

Some good to very good Craft Beer can be had at:

• Mikkeller's off Ekkamai - brewed outside of Thailand
  • Hair of the Dog at Phrom Phong and Ploen Chit
  • Wishbeer on Sukhumvit used to be good, but not my taste anymore
  • Craft  serves good Craft Beer on Soi 23 and in Silom
  • The Beer Cap in the Commons on Thonglor has good Craft Beer
  • Mitr Beer up by Victory Monument is a group of Thai's brewing in Thailand and serving (not bottling) some descent Thai beers.

Many more listed here
      https://www.siam2nite.com/en/locations/bangkok-craft-beer-bars

Once Thai Craft Beer can be brewed here in Thailand I hope their prices drop since they don't have to pay import tax or shipping charges.  The Thai brews I've tasted are fairly weak for my tastes, maybe this will change in the future.

4 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

BeerLao dark may suit your taste.   Sold most places including Makro BigC et.

Its funny you say that, because I literally had Beerlao Dark in Laos a few days ago. It is an improvement on standard Thai beers to my taste buds, but its not really a dark ale. 

In saying that mmm ill have to check Big C and Makro now. 

• Cool 1

3 hours ago, Haole.TH said:

How is it that Mahanakhon Beer has been 1 of the first Thai Craft Beers brewed in Phuket, yet no one else can brew beer in Thailand before the new laws coming.   They have been able to brew and bottle to sell around Thailand.  How and why?

MahaNakhon is not brewed in Phuket.

It is brewed in Vietnam and imported for sale here.  However, they are also now brewing in Chachoengsao (southeast of BKK), I assume for export to immediate neighbours or perhaps other destinations where 'origin' must be ex Thailand for tax or excise purposes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Netbuddy said:

Its funny you say that, because I literally had Beerlao Dark in Laos a few days ago. It is an improvement on standard Thai beers to my taste buds, but its not really a dark ale. 

In saying that mmm ill have to check Big C and Makro now. 

Netbuddy, the last time I called in Makro I noticed they had 500ml cans of a beer called Lion, apparently it's made in Sri Lanka and at 8.8% it was the bee's knees. I bought 4 cans for about 145 baht a can, but it actually tasted very good, but I only drank 1 can at a time, I'd sooner have 1 can of Lion beer than 10 Leo's.

1601547536-lion-strong-beer.jpg.277a6f20cac785e946694b8b1d6b3002.jpg

I always found Beerlao better than the Thai beers, but only just.

• Like 1

Bootleg Brothers just opened at EmQuartier (part of Escape Bar)  brewing their own beers it seems.
Pints 300 thb
        https://brewver.com/breweries/1187/Bootleg-Brothers-Brewing-Co

Brewave Expedition has beer and live music.  Three Thai brewers ... 
        https://www.facebook.com/Brewave/

More breweries / pubs listed recently:
        https://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/news/get-your-craft-beer-fix-these-6-microbreweries-bangkok

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Beer Connection on Suk Soi 26 has a ton of beers from around the world, including a bunch of Thai craft beers

As well as good Thai pub food

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d10440688-Reviews-Beer_collection_K_Village-Bangkok.html

Beer Collection, adjacent Wine Connection in K Village, is on my bucket list, thanks to you Marc26.  

1 hour ago, Haole.TH said:

Bootleg Brothers just opened at EmQuartier (part of Escape Bar)  brewing their own beers it seems.
Pints 300 thb

The Escape Bar looks upmarket, as one would expect of the address though I'll be certain to check out Bootleg Brothers - I found an article on Coconuts here.

DSC00866-1024x683.jpg

On 6/24/2022 at 5:26 PM, KaptainRob said:

Beer Collection, adjacent Wine Connection in K Village, is on my bucket list, thanks to you Marc26.  

Ha

I honestly figured it was Beer Connection, just like Wine Connection  :)

I made reservations by email, and never even realized I was reading it wrong 

It is a great area, if people are in the Suk area

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love a good beer, It looks like I will need to spend some serious time in Bangkok to try these places.

Thank you all for the awesome recommendations. 

On 6/24/2022 at 12:42 PM, Marc26 said:

Beer Connection on Suk Soi 26 has a ton of beers from around the world, including a bunch of Thai craft beers

As well as good Thai pub food

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d10440688-Reviews-Beer_collection_K_Village-Bangkok.html

If one digs deeper and investigates, you'll find that Thai craft/micro beer pubs/bars are everywhere throughout the country in droves - since the rather repressive restrictions that limited their sales to in-house only are still in place, they reached the fashionable boom period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Never heard of W District, looks great

Thanks!

W District or Market is cool.  It is a big beer garden with lots of food.  Only downside is the tourist price.

1 minute ago, bushav8r said:

W District or Market is cool.  It is a big beer garden with lots of food.  Only downside is the tourist price.

I am a huge fan of the big Thai pubs with big outdoor areas

Or the Thai markets with areas to sit and drink................

18 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Or the Thai markets with areas to sit and drink................

Me too.  I don't know where you are but a great one close to me is Udomsuk Walk.

45 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

Me too.  I don't know where you are but a great one close to me is Udomsuk Walk.

My wife used to live very close to there in Samut Prakan

But we just bought a house in Nonthaburi near Central Westgate

My wife is worried i will be bored for the 5 days I will be there around NYE

And I told her, I will just find good Thai outdoor pubs/beer gardens and be more than fine

• Like 1

My family lives in Nonthaburi.  I like it.  No need to ever get bored there, or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.  Nonthaburi had very cheap real estate awhile ago.  

25 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

My family lives in Nonthaburi.  I like it.  No need to ever get bored there, or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.  Nonthaburi had very cheap real estate awhile ago.  

Yeah I am looking forward to explore the area. I have found a bunch of cool places on the river and in her Moo Baan as well

We bought the place and we then headed back to Canada right away

So will be good to spend some time there

Nonthaburi definitely cheaper than Samut Prakan and it cuts off about 30mins drive to her village in SuphanBuri

So works out all around

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You're speaking my language there. I used to love Bang Saen for that kind of nightlife in the early 2000s. There were at least 20 bars with a big beer garden. "Take it Easy Bar" was probably my favorite venue in the world at the time 🍻 I went back in 2017 and there were 2 left far away from the main strip 🙄

I've never quite found that vibe anywhere in Bangkok.

9 hours ago, bushav8r said:

Many thanks, I'll check it out 👍