News Forum - BREAKING: CCSA cancels Thailand Pass & change entertainment venue restrictions

Thaiger

On 6/17/2022 at 2:36 PM, Stevejm said:

The CCSA didn’t make any statement about children wearing masks they just said it was up to people to decide. It’s just posters on here making assumptions. Hopefully all mandates will be dropped soon then everyone will be happy. 

That's the confusing thing. We all know outdoor mask mandates are about to be made history.

What is debatable is whether indoor mask wearing will still be mandatory or not, post July 1.

Several sources such as Richard Barrow, the Bangkok Post, even the Thaiger, Thai Examiner and the Nation have published articles suggesting mask wearing will be voluntary in general, except in crowded situations such as markets and public transport.

In other words, they're implying that unless you're catching public transport or are at a crowded venue, you can walk around the mall, go shopping at a supermarket, go to a bank, post office etc. maskless and schools could become mask-free zones too, provided they decide to lift the mandate.

By contrast, the Thai Enquirer and Khao Sod English stated on Friday only outdoor mask wearing will be scrapped for now.

I hope clarity will emerge by next week.

It sounds to me like the government is passing the buck and essentially saying: "it's voluntary" BUT private operators could still make their own decisions. This means malls, supermarkets, 7-11s might still impose mandatory masking during the month of July.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

That's the confusing thing. We all know outdoor mask mandates are about to be made history.

What is debatable is whether indoor mask wearing will still be mandatory or not, post July 1.

Several sources such as Richard Barrow, the Bangkok Post, even the Thaiger, Thai Examiner and the Nation have published articles suggesting mask wearing will be voluntary in general, except in crowded situations such as markets and public transport.

In other words, they're implying that unless you're catching public transport or are at a crowded venue, you can walk around the mall, go shopping at a supermarket, go to a bank, post office etc. maskless and schools could become mask-free zones too, provided they decide to lift the mandate.

By contrast, the Thai Enquirer and Khao Sod English stated on Friday only outdoor mask wearing will be scrapped for now.

I hope clarity will emerge by next week.

It sounds to me like the government is passing the buck and essentially saying: "it's voluntary" BUT private operators could still make their own decisions. This means malls, supermarkets, 7-11s might still impose mandatory masking during the month of July.

This wording here from the Tourism Minister suggests it will be voluntary and has been picked up and published by multiple international media including Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-eases-entry-rules-tourists-scraps-mask-policy-2022-06-17/

"Thailand has announced that it would abandon its much-criticized pre-registration process for foreign visitors and no longer require face masks to be worn in public, responding to a slower COVID-19 spread. Tourism Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan told reporters that the "Thailand Pass" system, where foreign tourists must seek prior approval from Thai authorities, will be halted from July 1, removing one of the country's last remaining travel curbs.The kingdom is one of the world's most popular travel destinations, but tourism businesses have long complained that its requirement for foreigners to submit multiple documents - from vaccine and swab test certificates to medical insurance and hotel bookings - was impeding the sector's recovery.Thailand was visited by nearly 40 million people in 2019, but received less than 1% of that number last year despite easing its quarantine requirements.Though tourism has picked up in recent months, the industry is far from recovering, with huge jobs and business losses in a sector that typically accounts for about 12% of Thai gross domestic product.The Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also said the use of face masks would be voluntary starting next month, but advised people to wear them if in crowded settings or if suffering from health conditions.Thailand has recorded more than 30,000 COVID fatalities overall, but has largely contained its outbreaks, helped by a vaccination rate of more than 80%. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 5:18 PM, Soidog said:

Can’t recall saying I complain for fun, although I do find it funny sometimes. I also find it funny some of the things people complain about. I think the issue really is when does being critical become complaining? When my boss critiques a piece of work I do, I don’t say he’s complaining. He’s offering constructive feedback on how I can improve the work. 

Part of the problem in forums like this is that many of the people reading the critical comments simply can’t comprehend the issue at hand. It’s therefore very easy to see everything as complaining and whining. History is full of moaning, whining, complainers. You know, people like:

Nelson Mandela, Emmeline Pankhurst, Martin Luther King, Harvey Milk, Mahatma Gandhi. 

All of them if they posted on here would be labelled moaners and whiners by the less informed and educated. 

I believe that you referred to complaining first but that’s irrelevant. I stand by my last sentence so carry on with the good work and critique or complain your heart out. You have certainly compared yourself with some heavy hitters in your list😊. When I see a report of a positive development I tend to comment positively about it because it’s good news but if you don’t want to acknowledge positive news that’s up to you.

3 hours ago, Highlandman said:

I've seen Thais wear masks while swimming in the ocean. I don't think the Japanese are quite this ridiculous.

Really then why was it mentioned on a Japan travel website? 

36 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I believe that you referred to complaining first but that’s irrelevant. I stand by my last sentence so carry on with the good work and critique or complain your heart out. You have certainly compared yourself with some heavy hitters in your list😊. When I see a report of a positive development I tend to comment positively about it because it’s good news but if you don’t want to acknowledge positive news that’s up to you.

I’m all for positive news and happy to comment accordingly. My issue with reporting of such news in Thailand, is that it aims to inflate the positivity and hide the real issue. Most often this is done by quoting percentages. Tourism numbers are a case in point. It fell from 40m to let’s say 1m. A news item then says that tourism is up 100% as it went to 2m. Factually correct, but no mention of actual numbers, allowing those more gullible to believe life is all rosey and Thailand’s tourism is booming. At least I only get frustrated by it, I can only imagine what those at the rough end of tourism feel when they read such articles. 

A similar thing happened only today. The headline read along the lines of “Thailand removes travel barriers more than ever”. Then the body says “Since April 2020”. I guess I’m asking too much for honest and balanced reporting ???

17 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m all for positive news and happy to comment accordingly. My issue with reporting of such news in Thailand, is that it aims to inflate the positivity and hide the real issue. Most often this is done by quoting percentages. Tourism numbers are a case in point. It fell from 40m to let’s say 1m. A news item then says that tourism is up 100% as it went to 2m. Factually correct, but no mention of actual numbers, allowing those more gullible to believe life is all rosey and Thailand’s tourism is booming. At least I only get frustrated by it, I can only imagine what those at the rough end of tourism feel when they read such articles. 

A similar thing happened only today. The headline read along the lines of “Thailand removes travel barriers more than ever”. Then the body says “Since April 2020”. I guess I’m asking too much for honest and balanced reporting ???

I get what you mean but if you want honest and balanced reporting don’t go to say UK where almost every news outlet is strongly partisan generally in favour of the currently ruling conservative party. Unless you can read Thai I doubt that you are getting the full picture although I would think that the news in Thai is equally as “positive”. I think comparison of tourist figures to those in the recent past is inevitable for the time being the real comparison will be a year or so after all Covid restrictions have been dropped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Yes, that's another example. Haircut rules as well.

But they have been in place long before Covid haven’t they?

8 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I think comparison of tourist figures to those in the recent past is inevitable for the time being the real comparison will be a year or so after all Covid restrictions have been dropped.

A real concern, or at least it should be for Thai tourism, is the cost of airfares. I’m heading back to Thailand at the end of August. My ticket, for which I normally pay £850-£950 for is currently running at £1,550-£1,700. Economy fares which in 2020 (pre pandemic) were at £480-£550 are now £720-£800. And this is in the low season for Thailand. Given the economic uncertainty in the world, it’s going to be a tough time for tourism everywhere. Thailand should seize the opportunity and make travel there as appealing as possible. 45 day Visas. Waive the Visa fees and only charge a nominal admin fee to cover costs and stop insisting on having to pay for airfares and hotels in advance of visa applications. It would also help if they stopped using language such as “The next lot” or “The next batch” to describe would be visitors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

A real concern, or at least it should be for Thai tourism, is the cost of airfares. I’m heading back to Thailand at the end of August. My ticket, for which I normally pay £850-£950 for is currently running at £1,550-£1,700. Economy fares which in 2020 (pre pandemic) were at £480-£550 are now £720-£800. And this is in the low season for Thailand. Given the economic uncertainty in the world, it’s going to be a tough time for tourism everywhere. Thailand should seize the opportunity and make travel there as appealing as possible. 45 day Visas. Waive the Visa fees and only charge a nominal admin fee to cover costs and stop insisting on having to pay for airfares and hotels in advance of visa applications. It would also help if they stopped using language such as “The next lot” or “The next batch” to describe would be visitors. 

Agreed but I think tourist visas are currently 60 days aren’t they? Are you referring to the possibility of replacing the current 30 day visa exemption applied on arrival with a 45 day one? I think that would be a good step although I don’t know how many extra holiday makers it would attract as many people still take 2 week holidays. Anyway every little helps. I think tourists visas in UK are now issued via email through the E Visa portal aren’t they which means mailing passports or visiting the embassy are no longer required. Scoot were the cheapest airline out of UK last time I checked with return tickets somewhere below £300 if you don’t mind using Gatwick. Dropping TP , testing, mask  and insurance requirements will definitely help but as you said they should be trying anything to make the country stand out as a destination. A weaker Baht would also help but that’s a different story. Back in 2007 when it was £1 =70 Baht some friends used to visit twice a year from UK but that’s history now😃

BTW when you asked what sort of post people would like to see if they objected to complaining… Nailed it 😃😃😃

20 hours ago, rc1 said:

This wording here from the Tourism Minister suggests it will be voluntary and has been picked up and published by multiple international media including Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-eases-entry-rules-tourists-scraps-mask-policy-2022-06-17/

"Thailand has announced that it would abandon its much-criticized pre-registration process for foreign visitors and no longer require face masks to be worn in public, responding to a slower COVID-19 spread. Tourism Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan told reporters that the "Thailand Pass" system, where foreign tourists must seek prior approval from Thai authorities, will be halted from July 1, removing one of the country's last remaining travel curbs.The kingdom is one of the world's most popular travel destinations, but tourism businesses have long complained that its requirement for foreigners to submit multiple documents - from vaccine and swab test certificates to medical insurance and hotel bookings - was impeding the sector's recovery.Thailand was visited by nearly 40 million people in 2019, but received less than 1% of that number last year despite easing its quarantine requirements.Though tourism has picked up in recent months, the industry is far from recovering, with huge jobs and business losses in a sector that typically accounts for about 12% of Thai gross domestic product.The Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also said the use of face masks would be voluntary starting next month, but advised people to wear them if in crowded settings or if suffering from health conditions.Thailand has recorded more than 30,000 COVID fatalities overall, but has largely contained its outbreaks, helped by a vaccination rate of more than 80%. 

Yes I noticed the Strait Times said the same thing. No more mask mandates post-July 1, even indoors. Essentially it will become voluntary, even technically on public transport, though I reckon it will be on public transport where operators might still "insist" on mask wearing, but airports, bus terminals etc. will no longer be policing this (especially since the temperature scanners and thus the people manning them) will be scrapped.

I think the same will apply to malls, supermarkets, post offices etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stevejm said:

But they have been in place long before Covid haven’t they?

Sure. Although most of the controversy surrounding this issue has been occurring during Covid, though it has nothing to do with Covid.