News Forum - Muslim students in southern Thailand protest against decriminalisation of cannabis

Thaiger

40 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Sometimes. Shisha is certainly not weed. But it does part a punch if your are not use to it. Most of the Muslims I know use their hookah to smoke weed too. To each his own. If the kids want to protest. Fine. But maybe they should look around at what's actually happening around them and protest something that's really hurting their community. 

Each to their own. Most of the Muslims I know (and I'm based in the Gulf) would just smoke shisha in the hookah. It is just tobacco at the end of the day. 

And I don't think those Muslims in the South will be smoking the ganja in theirs either. .

BTW, you mentioned Muslims in the UAE, smoking weed?? Hash surely!

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, Cabra said:

No more dangerous to your health that smoking a hookah. All this selective outrage is comical 🤣

"Personal Experience"

Hooked on flowers from heavens for over 30 years with zero health issues in fact I feel so healthy with it.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 9:27 PM, MrNovax said:

I dont think anyone is stating that smoking a hookah doesnt have its medical ailments, the point is that the risks are the same so the protest is selective and therefore without merit.  If they were protesting all smoking then it would be consistent and therefore be taken more seriously by those with apposing views.  

Cannabis a psychogenic drug causing irreparable derangement-type brain damage with strong links to violent crime and leading on to harder drugs. Legalize & Control ALL Addictive Drugs ….or None. Alcohol & Nicotine already legalized so why not ALL Drugs to put Cartels out of business overnight. 😡

• Haha 1

What a joke. Hardly legalising it. Tobacco kills more people every year than weed ever did. Why don't they just worry about their own inner Muslim doings and keep to themselves. Many are a bunch of hyocrites from what I can see.

• Cool 1

57 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Cannabis a psychogenic drug causing irreparable derangement-type brain damage with strong links to violent crime and leading on to harder drugs. Legalize & Control ALL Addictive Drugs ….or None. Alcohol & Nicotine already legalized so why not ALL Drugs to put Cartels out of business overnight. 😡

Got any links to those strong links?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

What a joke. Hardly legalising it. Tobacco kills more people every year than weed ever did. Why don't they just worry about their own inner Muslim doings and keep to themselves. Many are a bunch of hyocrites from what I can see.

So Muslims aren't allowed to voice their concerns?

Why shouldn't they protest? Buddhists protest about stuff they don't like etc etc. 

Red shirt/yellow shirt protest about stuff they don't like etc etc

Pro royal, anti royal protest blah blah blah.

No one forced you to listen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Got any links to those strong links?

Of course not. Their reference is probably some false-information meme they saw on Facebook. Or they watched “Reefer Madness” and believed it. 
I’m not going to proclaim that it’s 100% harmless, but the idea that it makes people violent is laughable. 
It’s less harmful to the human body than coffee. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, jerm138 said:

Of course not. Their reference is probably some false-information meme they saw on Facebook. Or they watched “Reefer Madness” and believed it. 
I’m not going to proclaim that it’s 100% harmless, but the idea that it makes people violent is laughable. 
It’s less harmful to the human body than coffee. 

I have to agree with you and what they seem to be calling as the anti or devil drug being legalised as a travesty against Thai people and Thailand, it is a only at best benign and has no high effect. Lack of education and only grandstanding getting on the band wagon.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:10 PM, DiJoDavO said:

What are they protesting? Protesting against nature from growing? 

Decriminalizing it. Maybe they were making good coin beforehand. Just saying… 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Of course they are. But when the “concern” is that they’ll no longer be able to lock people in cages for the “crime” of not following the rules of their religion they should expect criticism and pushback, same as anyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerm138 said:

Of course they are. But when the “concern” is that they’ll no longer be able to lock people in cages for the “crime” of not following the rules of their religion they should expect criticism and pushback, same as anyone else.

In their own lands they would not dare protest anything political …..on pain of state “ Islamic” execution. Outside, the rate of Muslims renouncing their nonsense runs around 15% ; also on pain of death. 

On 6/21/2022 at 5:33 PM, oldschooler said:

In their own lands they would not dare protest anything political …..on pain of state “ Islamic” execution. Outside, the rate of Muslims renouncing their nonsense runs around 15% ; also on pain of death. 

On 6/21/2022 at 5:33 PM, oldschooler said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/islam/comments/u7glzm/why_so_many_apostates/

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I also have a link that night follows day and that a day has 24 hours …..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7084484/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6461328/

Absolute rubbish. In the case studies mentioned marijuana is incidental. 

It's been said before, but correlation does not imply causation.

In the cases given it would be just as easy to say that they committed their violent acts because they had cornflakes for breakfast. 

Furthermore, many of the people were obviously mentally ill!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Absolute rubbish. In the case studies mentioned marijuana is incidental. 

It's been said before, but correlation does not imply causation.

In the cases given it would be just as easy to say that they committed their violent acts because they had cornflakes for breakfast. 

Furthermore, many of the people were obviously mentally ill!

From cannabis perhaps ? 

• Haha 1

Just now, oldschooler said:

From cannabis perhaps ? 

Seeing how one of the people mentioned had issues from the age of 3, that would be unlikely...😆😆😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Seeing how one of the people mentioned had issues from the age of 3, that would be unlikely...😆😆😆

Yeah, I’m sure cannabis improved those mental conditions🤣🤣can only have worsened them ….knowing what is known rather than your no harm nonsense. 😞

• Haha 1

"This is absolute nonsense," said Katherine Newman, interim chancellor at the University of Massachusetts, Boston and the author of a book on school shootings. "There is no link whatsoever between marijuana and extreme violence."

https://www.politifact.com/article/2019/sep/04/does-marijuana-lead-violence-experts-say-theres-no/

• Like 2

Insulting the PM is hardly likely to get them a sympathetic ear.

But what this reduces down to is that they don't like the idea that others are finally free to use a plant as they see fit in private, and seem hell bent on the idea that such adult freedom of choice is left to an "authority" to decide what's good for us.

On the other hand, I have no problem with the proposition that they hate and fear cannabis, and in that case, they are most welcome to leave it, and us, the hell alone.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

So do you think cannabis makes people more violent then alcohol?

No, I don't think so either. I wonder how many police officers have had to deal with fights between a couple of stoners (probably very few), and how many police officers have had to deal with fights between a couple of drunks (most probably, if not all).  

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:04 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Why shouldn't they protest? Buddhists protest about stuff they don't like etc etc. 

Red shirt/yellow shirt protest about stuff they don't like etc etc

Pro royal, anti royal protest blah blah blah.

No one forced you to listen. 

Depends what they're basing their concerns on - as I suspect it's on the teachings of a 1500 year old man of sexual tastes that would get him a very long prison sentence today I'm inclined to think they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Depends what they're basing their concerns on - as I suspect it's on the teachings of a 1500 year old man of sexual tastes that would get him a very long prison sentence today I'm inclined to think they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

As was stated in another article on Thaiger, their concerns were based on their children's access to marijuana, and availablity in their local community. 

As a parent of teenagers I'd be concerned if they could easily buy marijuana. That's why we have age limits on tobacco, alcohol etc, because we realise the damage that they can do. 

I think the Thai government has said that the age limit for marijuana products should be 20 years old. 

Do you have a problem with this?

Just now, TheDirtyDurian said:

As was stated in another article on Thaiger, their concerns were based on their children's access to marijuana, and availablity in their local community. 

As a parent of teenagers I'd be concerned if they could easily buy marijuana. That's why we have age limits on tobacco, alcohol etc, because we realise the damage that they can do. 

I think the Thai government has said that the age limit for marijuana products should be 20 years old. 

Do you have a problem with this?

This thread is about the decriminalisation of cannabis, not warped and bigoted views on religion.